Sign in to follow this  
janni

Scrap Afghan? Squares and how to?

Question

After making just about every scrap afghan there is I am, once again, overun with scraps!  I decided to try my hand at making 6 and 12 inch squares per how much of each color I have.  I want to make the squares and crochet a main color around each before assembly.  I first went online and made two folders on my desktop for storing 6" and 12"  patterns.  This part went very well :)  and then I began...........

I know sometimes you have to add or subtract rows to make things work out but I never thought all of my patterns would seem like a "non fit"  My 12 looks good for adding a row but the first couple 6 patterns ............one looks bad because I stopped at a bad point in the pattern and the other seems like just too many added on rows.  I wouldn't think it could be so complicated but  is there any tips or full patterns that may work better for what I am thinking? I thought random squares would be challenging and a fun way to use up scraps.    Hope you can understand my point in this.  Maybe I should just make one million granny's daughters and find a charity to donate them to.  lol

Thanks for any suggestions, help, or patterns. 

3 answers to this question

Lion Brand has several "Sampler Afghans" that are really pretty.  Also--CrochetPatternCentral is a good source for sampler afghans.  I just recently made a granny square (my ole stand by!!) afghan for a retired man.  He ordered one last year and was so pleased with it, that he ordered another!  I used up my scraps of bright colors, made each square 12", and did every other row, or every second row in black.  That really made the colors pop!  This year, I added some variegated to it, and it really turned out beautiful!  I've already started on another one, just in case someone else (or the same guy!) wants another one!  I just keep making a granny square every night or so.

How about this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmk101/5561921336/in/gallery-57399906@N05-72157626192381915/

You could really go totally wild with this one, and it looks like it wouldn't use much of any one color.

Here is the pattern:

http://mgdesigns.blogspot.ca/2007/12/brighter-daze-square.html

and it is available as a free download on Ravelry

And if you are on Ravelry there is a "clearing up" of the pattern in this discussion

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/vannas-choice-fan-club/1981122/1-25#8

Thanks so much for your replies.  I still love granny squares and the Brighter Daze is cute too.(wow it really looks different in different colors doesn't it?) I love samplers and will check the Lion Brand ones.