froggieprinces03

Pattern Help from Crochet Magazine

Question

I have been reading crochet patterns for about 3 years. Up until now, I haven't had a problem with a pattern that I couldn't figure out. This one however is killing me. 

The pattern is in Crochet Magazine. Textured Treasure Sweater. It begins on page 24. I am trying to make the 2x size for a gift. I'm not sure if I am just seriously misunderstanding something or if I am over complicating things. I have tried all sizes and and I keep coming out with the same problem. I'm short chains while trying to finish row one.

The pattern is as follows for the size I am making, Ch 78, sc in 2nd ch from hook, [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 7 times, sk next ch, double V-st in next ch, place marker, [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 25 times, sk next ch, double v-st in next ch, place marker, [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 7 times, sk next ch, sc in last ch.

I have worked, and re-worked this time and again and I can't get it right. I do not know if I am just missing something. If anyone has made this and it worked please let me know what I'm missing. I'm going to put it down for tonight and hopefuly when I pick it up tomorrow it makes sense.

Specifically my problem is when I get to the part where I have 7 V-st left I only have enough chains to do 4.

Any help  will be appreciated, I really don't want this to beat me.  :)

Thanks y'all! :)

15 answers to this question

I don't have the pattern but I did the row and it worked the same for me not enough chs left either. could you post the next row so I can see how it corresponds?

• Like 1

Thank you so much for trying :)

Row 2: Ch1, Sc in 1st st, *V-st in each ch space of V-st across**, to double V-st, V-st in 1st ch 2 sp, sc in center sc (place marker), V-st in last ch 2 sp, rep from * across, ending last rep at ** sc in last st, turn.

Row 3: Ch1, sc in 1st st, *V-st in ch sp across** to marked sc,V-st in marked sc rep from * across ending last rep at ** sc in last st. turn

Row 4 : Ch 1, sc in 1st st * V-st in ch sp of each of the next 8 (for the 2x size) V-sts, double v-st in next st, V-st in each of the ch sp of each of the next 27 V-sts,  double V-st in next st, V-st in each of last 8 v-sts, sc in last st, turn.

Row 5 and 6 rep rows 2 and 3

Row: 7 is just like row 4 except instead of doing the first 8 v-sts you do 9 before the double v-st. and 9 after the second double v-st..

I had added stitches in the beg to make it work and it did until row 7.

8 and 9 are done just as 2 and 3 but then 10  is just like 7 only increasing again. it makes it all wierd and it really just doesn't look right.

I have a request into the magazine but it's been two days and no response.

Thank you again for your help :)

I haven't forgotten this just still working on it. Also wondering how your doing now. I did what you did and am on the 5th row. Just wondering what you mean you did it till row 7 and it went wrong. Can you describe the problem and why it doesn't look right.

I checked on Ravelry to see if the pattern had a link to errata or people had comments about the design.  I discovered that the designer is Creative Yarn Source and the same pattern is on her website.  Maybe your questions can be answered through her "Contact Me" button.

http://creativeyarnsource.com/textured_treasure.html

I count 86 stitches on the first row.  Does anyone else get 86?

Ch 78,

2            sc in 2nd ch from hook,

14          [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 7 times,

1            sk next ch,

1            double V-st in next ch, place marker,

50          [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 25 times,

1            sk next ch,

1            double v-st in next ch, place marker,

1            sk next ch,

1            sc in last ch.

86 stitches used

Thanks y'all for trying. I got an email back today from Crochet magazine, they are working with the designer to see if they can figure out the problem. :) Thanks again to each of you. 

Sarisue, i have worked to row 7 and it just doesn't work right. the numbers are off. I'm going to pull it out and re work it again tomorrow and see! :) thanks so much :)

I didn't physically work it but,  if you add all of the repeats it adds up to more stitches than chains.

Edited by guiness56

I count 86 stitches on the first row.  Does anyone else get 86?

Ch 78,

2            sc in 2nd ch from hook,

1            sk next ch,

1            double V-st in next ch, place marker,

50          [sk next ch, V-st in next ch] 25 times,

1            sk next ch,

1            double v-st in next ch, place marker,

1            sk next ch,

1            sc in last ch.

86 stitches used

yes I get that too and am on row 7 and is ok so far as the numbers are working out for the rows.

Edited by sarisue

Thanks y'all for trying. I got an email back today from Crochet magazine, they are working with the designer to see if they can figure out the problem. :) Thanks again to each of you. 

Sarisue, i have worked to row 7 and it just doesn't work right. the numbers are off. I'm going to pull it out and re work it again tomorrow and see! :) thanks so much :)

I found a picture of one but the stitches are textured. what are your v stitches like as I am just trying it with reg v stitch ones? the numbers are ok so far and I just finished row 7. Is this done in two parts front and back done seperately? guess that's enough questions for now. :lol

Edited by sarisue

Its done in 2 parts, front and back.

The v stitch  is sc ch 2 sc in same st.

double v st is  sc ch2 sc ch2 sc in same st.

the doubles are what mess me up.

It increases and it makes it look wrong and messes up the numbering.

Its done in 2 parts, front and back.

The v stitch  is sc ch 2 sc in same st.

double v st is  sc ch2 sc ch2 sc in same st.

the doubles are what mess me up.

It increases and it makes it look wrong and messes up the numbering.

Thanks that's what i thought after seeing the picture . i get the numbers to work in the reg v stitch but have started it in this one now.

I'm sorry your still having problems but glad you heard from the magazine. I just did 8 and 9 in the pattern stitch and the numbers worked for me. Maybe you are either skiping stitches or doing too many as I had that happen and did some frogging for that.

Hi I did five rows in dc v stitch and five in the pattern sc v stitch and this is the way it should look. I used thread so mine will be a different size but it will be the same concept. The numbers do work  and the pattern is right so far except for the beg row we changed. You have to make sure to mark the v stitches when you do the increase in the sc of the double v stitch so they line up .

post-10430-0-40655000-1384186509_thumb.jpg

Edited by sarisue

Thank you so much! :) I am going to try again today, I have been really busy this week, but today, hopefully that will stop for a bit and I can return focus to this! :) Thank you so much for all of your help! :) You  are all awesome!

I will post pictures as I go! :)

Thank you again!