How do you decide how long to make a shawl if the person is short?

beaglemom

Question

I am making a friend a prayer shawl. The pattern calls for it to be 60 inches long when done but my friend is barely scraping 5 ft tall, so shouldn't I make it shorter?? If so, how do I decide what length to make it?? If it helps, she is also petite.

Thanks for any advice!

Cindy

5 answers to this question

A triangle shawl, or a stole-type?  I think the relevant measurement is a person's 'wingspan', the part of the shawl that goes over the shoulders should be a little longer than that .

I believe a person's hight=wingspan (roughly), so you want the part that goes over the shoulders to be at least her height.  If it is a triangle, the part from mid-neck to the triangle's third point will be well less than the person's height.

If its a triangle, a pattern that starts at the center back tip and increases would be the easiest to work to the size you need, versus one that starts from the long edge and decreases.

I usually make shawls approx the fingertip to fingertip reach of the person, which tends to be their height. If your friend is 5' tall, then her reach is 60".

Archived