Help modifying a cowl neck to make larger

alchemyfyr

Question

Hi.  A friend asked me to make a poncho with a really long draping cowl neck.  I found a poncho on the LionBrand site that she likes the shape of but wants the cowl to drape much more.  The LionBrand pattern has a straight tube for the cowl, would I increase stitches all the way around or increase more stitches in the front half of the cowl so the back doesn't get too bunchy?

Thanks for any advice!

post-13117-0-37627800-1382798240_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Here's a link to the pattern http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10743.html?noImages=0

LB tweed stripes is a US#5 bulky weight, and the pattern calls for a K hook.  You could try working up a swatch with worsted weight (US#4) with the K hook and see how you like the fabric drape, and also to see if you get gauge.

HDC is the stitch  the pattern calls for, it's a thick undrapey stitch to start with.  Look at the pattern diagram, it's basically a 50 x 22 inch rectangle, folded, partly seamed, then a tube added for the cowl.  You could make it even drapier if you made it all in DC, just following the measurements on the diagram.  You could easily add a row or 2 to make the cowl longer; I would add it evenly around, it could be folded over collar-like in the back if needed  (or make it really long for a wimple/hoodie poncho).

I am thinking that increasing in some way would help make the cowl looser but you would have to experiment on how many increases you would want to make in order for it to look right.

Thanks for the replies.  For my first step I am going to make the neck opening 2 inches wider as she wants it loose on her neck.  Then I will add a few increases in the front half of the cowl and add a few more rows and see how that goes.  Guess it will be trial and error.  At least it won't be too much to rip out if needed to try again.  Thanks and if anyone has any more ideas I'm listening  :-)

Archived