Help with stitch or finding a replacement stitch

guiness56

Question

I am making this afghan, free pattern from Redheart http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/basketweave-diamond-throw-pillow.  Love it.  However, I am having issues with the diamond section.

My stitches look horrible and I have done them over so many times my yarn is fraying and makes it look even worse.

I have tried making them looser and tighter and nothing works for me.  I still don't like the way they look.

Any suggestions on what to do to make them look better?  Or some replacement stitches.

8 answers to this question

Can you post a photo of it?

One thing i sometimes get confused about is how many rows to skip. In this case i think 3 rows below means to skip over 2rows and work the stitch around the stitch in the third row below. If by chance you were skipping 3rows instead it probably wouldn't look right.

Other than that, i can't think what to suggest.

I can't post a pic and I have torn it out again lol.

I don't think the 3rd row is the issue.  There are only three rows of sc when you start the diamond pattern so the stitch would go up against the edge of the last section.

It is more that my stitches look horrible just because they are treble stitches.  I have never been able to make them look right.  Honestly, I avoid patterns that use them and failed to read the pattern before starting it.  As much as I like the pattern and how it looks I may just scrub it and find something else.

I don't know if it would work in this case, but sometimes an extended double is a good substitute for a treble. Basically an extended stitch adds the equivalent of a chain at the bottom of the stitch.

http://www.crochetme.com/glossary/extended-double-crochet-edc.aspx

They often are abit shorter than a treble but you could try adjusting the "chain" portion to make it longer.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with treble crochets. It is one stitch that needs practice once in awhile. Maybe a trc video to recap the stitch would help. Notice how close she keeps the working yarn to the hook; not much play in it. This is what helps me keep the stitches even.

I just put the project aside for now and started another.   I'll work on it again in a bit.  What's funny is the new project also has trc and I have no problems at all with them.

Part of the issue was the yarn is so worn out from me starting over 100 times I need to cut off all the used yarn and start fresh. 

I did watch some videos and it seemed the yarn used was very stretchy compared to the RHSS I am using. 

Archived