Chemo Caps

Croshay

Question

I want to make some chemo-type hats for my MIL, who will be undergoing brain surgery next month for Parkinson's Disease.  I've never made hats like this, so I don't know where to start.  I think they'll need to be extra soft and warm, as her head will be bald and scarred, and the fall chill is here.

Any input from others who have made similar items?  Yarn type(s), pattern(s), etc.?  Maybe even sewn hats from fleece? 

Thanks in advance!

Croshay

12 answers to this question

there are lots of hats to choose from.  A soft yarn is helpful, simply soft being one, but there are lots of pretty, soft yarns out there.  One of my favorites is James C Brett Marble in either ww or chunky.  So soft! and beautiful self striping colors.

Try a self striping yarn and the Divine Hat pattern

You might want to consider making one or two out of a soft cotton.  My Mom got so hot when she had her chemo that she wouldn't have been able to wear warm ones.  I realize that different chemos cause different side effects and different people tolerate these things differently but it's just something to keep in mind.

Any basic beanie pattern would work.  The reason they call them chemo caps is mainly because soft yarns are used.  Just google chemo hats and you will get tons of links.  Sometimes, chemo patients wear a wig cap under their hats.  It's usually made of stocking material.  That's so the hats won't irritate the bald scalp. 

About 10 years ago I had surgery for a brain aneurysm, and was pleasantly surprised when I woke up to see that it had been decided to shave only a small portion of my scalp. I was able to cover that with hair until it grew out, and never needed hats. Good thing, because it was in Florida, and it was warm! That may happen for your mil. But if she does need hats, I would make sure they suit her personal style and favored colors, so she can feel she looks good. It's important that they're soft and comfortable, as well, especially where the staples or stitches are. Here's wishing her a very successful procedure. I'm here to tell her that, yes, there is life after brain surgery.

I just posted this for somebody else looking for patterns for beanie hats.

I have an easy pattern for beanie hats. This hat is made in the round. Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of the row.

Make a magic ring, 6sc in the ring (6)

2sc in each stitch (12)

2sc in first stitch 1sc in next, repeat all the way around (18)

1sc in first stitch 2sc in next 1sc in next, repeat all the way around(24)

3sc in first stitch 2scin the next, repeat all the way around(30)

3sc in first stitch 2sc in next 1sc in next, repeat all the way around(36)

4sc in first stitch 2sc in next 1sc in next, repeat all the way around(42)

2sc in first stitch 2sc in next 4sc in next, repeat all the way around(48)

2sc in first stitch 2sc in next 5sc in next, repeat all the way around(54)(This is where I stop for a child/teen)

1sc in first stitch 2sc in next 7sc in next, repeat all the way around(60)( This is where I stop for an adult woman)

4sc in first stitch 2sc in next 5sc in next, repeat all the way around(66)

Fasten off.

The hat size will depend on your yarn and your hook. I use a sport weight yarn with a size J/10-6mm hook.

CrazyHOOker, I also make my basic sc hats like that.  I usually stop at 60 stitches if I am using worsted with yarn and a J hook,  I gues if you work a little tight you may want to continue to 66 stitches,  However I believe you made a mistake on your last line when you said to do "4sc in 1st st. etc.", You probably meant to say "2sc in next st.".  But by ending off at that point, you would just have a head covering, not a hat.  You would have to continue working in the round without any more increases, until you reach the desired length of the hat.

Archived