Using size 4 yarn on a size 5 pattern help

redbird51

Question

I need some help with what might be a silly question please.  Thank you in advance.

I want to make a prayer shawl with in size 4 worsted weight yarn (probably simply soft) from a pattern that calls for homespun (size 5 yarn).  Is there a simple way to figure out how much more yarn I will need and how to adjust the pattern?  Is there a chart that helps with the change?  I know I can make a swatch but is there a simpler way?  I'm not lazy just not that great with the math. :)

4 answers to this question

If the pattern you are using is simple, you can just go by body sizing, which might be easier. You want a comfort shawl to fit minimally from neck to waist or lower ~ and with arms outstretched, from fingertip to fingertip or longer.

Changing the yarn may not mean "just" needing different yardage. 

Depending on which end of the range for each size, there can be a huge difference in the grist of the size 4 when compared to that of the size 6.

You may also need to use a different size needle in order for any pattern work to show properly and maintain its integrity.  And it may take more than one try to find the combination you want for your project.

It may seem like a lot of extra work to do a gauge swatch, particularly since you will need one in pattern to judge if the hand is acceptable to you, but if you do not the liklihood of an unhappy result and hours of frogging might make you regret not taking that 30-60 mins for a swatch. 

Thank you all for your replies .  I understand about the different yarn and needle sizes changing the size of the finished product.  I was just looking for an easy way to estimate how much size 4 yarn I would need to make a pattern that calls for size 5 yarn without making a swatch.  It seems like there really isn't an "easy way". 

The reason for my question is that while at a yarn store on vacation, I saw a smaller weight yarn that I fell in love with and wanted to get enough to make a certain pattern that calls for a larger weight yarn.  There were only a few skeins available and I was afraid there wouldn't be enough.  I usually buy extra but this wasn't an option this time.   The person working in the store tried to help but she was just helping out and didn't do needlework herself.  It was pricey yarn, and I didn't want to spend the money and not have enough.

Archived