October Charity Get-Together: 10/17-1022

busy-bee-lmt

Wow, I feel like a sluggard for sure. Yesterday I tried out a couple of squares and chose one. I'm doing gold(ish) and purple, LSU colors. I don't have a lot of the gold and don't want to buy more, so I'm hoping I have enough for what I want to do. 

I stopped it on an outer round of the purple. I've never done the flat braid joining and I want to try it on this afghan, and I had to wait until I got back to work where I could check out instructions on the internet. I should be able to finish this first square tonight, and then I'm going to concentrate on making the gold centers. I should be able to get several of those done.

An unsolicited vent: I am totally frustrated. My new hook and thread was delivered today, but not to me. The postman just dropped it off in the apartment office. That infuriates me, because I was home and watched him putting mail in the boxes. I assumed it was delayed and just hadn't arrived, until I checked the tracking when I got to work. I have a hard time matching my schedule to the office, and I have to be able to park close enough to it to walk to it, which isn't always possible. I've had another package there almost three weeks that I haven't been able to get yet. I may be able to get my new toys tomorrow, but it's not very likely. It may be the middle of next week. Right now I'm thinking a lot of unladylike words at the post office.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Donna!  That's awful!  I hope you can get it tomorrow.  I'd be royally frustrated and saying bad words, too.

Darski, that set is adorable and love the idea for the second set as well.

I got the preemie afghan started last night.  The middle 6 rows are in a light lemon color and they are done.  Next is the light green, which is cap that is on the knitting needles right now.  Hmm?   :think   I guess I could work off the other end of the skein.  That sometimes works and sometimes makes a big mess.  (My mom taught me to knit at the same time that my grandmother taught me to crochet.  About 55 years ago.   :P   I just haven't done much knitting in a while, so it's not as bad as starting all over again, but still frustrating.)

Hope you all have a great Saturday.  I work this afternoon, but will take the projects with me and see if it's busy or slow.  If it's slow I can work on the projects at work.   :)

busy bee - thanks for the sympathy. Fed Ex does  the same thing, and neither one of them even leaves a message telling you it was delivered at all. I did manage to get it today. It's the first really gorgeous fall day here, and all the people usually parking on the street - the biggest drawback of these apartments is the limited parking - were gone, so I could park and pick up the packages. I was on my way to work so I have it with me, but I'll probably be good and (mostly) work on the charity project.

darski - I love the neapolitan ice cream idea. I would never have thought of that.

We had newsletters dumped on us last night to process, so I didn't get much done, but worked a little before I came in today. This lapghan will be made with 12 large squares. I got half the gold centers done, and will try to get the rest done tonight. I have to do all of them first so I can see how much of the gold I will have left. I would like to do the joining with it, but I'll have to see how it goes. There are still some newsletters left, but my co-worker and I can probably whip those out in an hour or so. So even with other assignments, I should still have quite a bit of hook time, if I can stop playing on the computer!

Wow, you guys are all so amazing. Darski, you make such great little sets. And I loved the scrappy stockings.

My project week hit a bump. My surgery did not go as planned and today I was supposed to make my trial run to work and return on Monday. Well, unless I can go to work in pajama pants and sleep the whole time I am there, I am thinking I will need a few more days off. The last thing I did related to crochet was comment here and watch the blanket/jacket video Darski was going to use a a guide for her projects this week. Not much to show by way of pictures, huh?

I guess I am a cheerleader for now. I have until Tuesday though, so we'll see.

Denise, hope the surgery will help you feel better, even if not quite as quickly as you expected.  We can always use cheerleaders.

Donna, hooray for finally getting you packages!   :yay   That's a lot of newsletters to process.  Hope it goes quickly.

My fingers finally remembered the rhythm for the knitting.  The cap is knit, just have to sew up the seam.  I may or may not make a pompom for the top.  And I even managed to get another row done on the afghan once I was done using the green for the hat.  Spent most of the day on my feet with lots of customers today, so didn't get as much done as I hoped.  I have the next 3 days off, so should make better progress then.

Denise, I hope you're up and about soon. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with sleeping!

Busy Bee. I last knitted in high school or maybe the first couple of years of college, so probably around 1968. Maybe a year and a half ago I bought knitting needles and a book to help me remember how to do it. I played around a little, but set it aside. It's been too long - I'll really have to relearn it. Anyway, I love crochet so much more, the reason I stopped knitting in the first place, that I don't have much motivation to work at it that hard. My theory was that it might be a little kinder to aching joints than crochet, but didn't do enough to test it. When, if, I retire, I may give it another shot. Or maybe not.

Newsletters are done so I have most of the evening left to crochet, except for 30 or 45 minutes of my mind numbing task - checking electronic journal links. Dullsville as they used to say. I should easily be able to finish up the centers of the squares. I'm using this pattern - more or less. After the two granny type square rounds where the small version ends, I'm switching to straight dc instead of clusters. I'm using the first 4 rows, the round part, for the gold. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-smoothfoxs-charity-square-nbr-4

I got all the centers made and have enough gold for the join and maybe a border round. That would really help the appearance. But I don't much care for this goldish yellow so I won't buy more whatever happens. I'll be working on the purple parts today. My goal is to get six of the 12 squares done by Tuesday, then to finish it up next month. I'm off Mon/Tue, so could maybe even finish it, but I have too many other irons in the fire right now. I'll be happy to finish half of it.

Yet another example of - "it's a good plan but the execution needs work" :rofl

It is pretty enough but it just misses the mark :sigh

post-4896-0-15271700-1382297964_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-18597700-1382297965_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-32783600-1382297966_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I know... still need sleeves and a hat :wlol

darski, it's cute. I would probably find sleeves enough of a challenge that I'd put a note on it "Summer Baby" and skip them  :lol

I just watched a you tube video (pretty much off limits at work, so I hope IT wasn't watching too) on the continuous join, so I may try that. But it will have to wait until next month when I'm assembling it. So for now, just seas of purple to crochet.

Uh, not so great. I've frittered away all my free time at work so far, so I only have the purple on one of them. This isn't looking promising since my to do list for my days off is getting longer and longer. Actually, I've been mostly sitting here fantasizing over doilypatterns and crochet thread colors online. I want to charge off and go play with that. Unfortunately for that change of direction, I have other things in the pipeline that really do need to be done before I do more than dabble with the thread. 

I don't know if I'll get a picture up this time, but I'll at least most my total when I come back to work Wednesday.

Congrats to everyone on their progress so far. :yay  Keep up the wonderful work and thank you to our cheerleaders too. :clap

I have a total of eight mini Christmas stockings finished. I did four all crocheted and four using recycled denim. I will try and get a photo posted tomorrow.

You have all been busy and your work is wonderful. I did a little work on a preemie afghan last night but most of my crafting time this weekend was spent sewing angel wings for the youth drama team at my church. Have a great day everyone.

Hi, again!  I managed to get the rest of the second color done on the preemie afghan, but I'm thinking of changing the last color from dark green to burnt orange.  My hands were hurting and I wasn't much in the crochet mood, but I'm sure to get at least this project finished.  Will try to do more today.

:cheer  :cheer  :cheer   You are all doing GREAT!!!   :cheer    :cheer    :cheer

Haven't gotten any more crocheting done yet. My dad is a truck driver. He's usually gone 2-3 weeks at a time. Well he came through yezterday. So I took him some of his warm clothes. He had been to places that are pretty cold and was gonna have to go back. He didn't even have a jacket or coat with him. It was like high 70's- low 80's when he left last week. Now even here in Ga it's been as low as low 40's. So me, my nana, and one of my cousins 12yrs old went to truck stop and spent some time with him.

Oh and my mom has been sick. She has Urinary Tract Infection. Medicine doctor gave her has sulfer and she is alergic. Even though it's lowest dosage, she is still having some side effects. Please pray she feels better soon.

And dishes, laundry, floors, bathrooms... Housework, Housework, Housework.

Hoping tonight to get some crocheting time in.

Everone else is doing awesome! <3 :)

Looking good all round :cheer

I had an eye appt this afternoon and between bus time and waiting room time I got a quite nice hat made.  Love to make hats. :wlol

I have started another blankie in the Unique pattern and for a break I am working on a hat to match.  Well we still have a good bit of time left to us so :crocheting  on .

Sending warm wishes and healing thoughts to all who are facing health concerns and who are hurting.

I didn't get any crocheting in today as I had to work all day and had a retirement luncheon for a co-worker so no crocheting time during lunch even. So... I still only have these 8 mini Christmas stockings completed as of now. I am going to work on another one tonight that is all crocheted. The denim stockings were sewn on my treadle sewing machine. I know they are very simple but it gives me practice treadling to sew these little denim socks. Then I add the crocheted tops and loop.

10414040136_12d8fec39a.jpg

Krazycrocheter, that was so nice of you to take him some warmer clothes.  Depending on where he's going, they will be needed as well as much appreciated.  And so nice to be able to spend some time with him in the middle of his run.

Cindy, those Christmas stockings are awesome.   :cheer   And good for you for treadling them.  I have my grandmother's treadle machine, but will need at band to connect the treadle with the machine before I could use it.  I also have two complete sets of the accessories that go with it, one of which is in a nifty hinged wooden box that opens up flat.

Yay!   You rock on your hats, Darski.   :cheer

Darski, I don't think the ice cream set missed the mark at all. I think the colors are great. Maybe you are too close to it to see it.

Cindy, I think the socks are great. I see that you sometimes have a pointy heel. (The top left one) Last year mine all looked like arrows. Is there a way to smooth that out or do some lay better because of the type of yarn? The green one with the multicolored heel looks so nice. I could never get mine to look like that. Do you have any tips?

I went back to work today. I lasted about 4.5 hours. I racked up 445 emails while I was out. Ugh. Sigh....

Cindy, I think the socks are great. I see that you sometimes have a pointy heel. (The top left one) Last year mine all looked like arrows. Is there a way to smooth that out or do some lay better because of the type of yarn? The green one with the multicolored heel looks so nice. I could never get mine to look like that. Do you have any tips?

I went back to work today. I lasted about 4.5 hours. I racked up 445 emails while I was out. Ugh. Sigh....

I agree, sometimes the heels are too pointy and other times they look okay. I'm not sure why as I crochet them the same each time. The only thing I could change is when I close the heel, maybe I need to take the tail that I'm using to whip stitch the seam closed and stitch into that corner more. I could then draw up the yarn to smooth out the corner so its not so pointy. Anyway I will have to remember that next time and play around with the look.

Hope you are feeling stronger each day. Just rest and take it easy. Don't over do it. :hug

Archived