October Charity Get-Together: 10/17-1022

busy-bee-lmt

Hello, everyone.    :waving  

It's that time of the month again.  6 days to get together  and focus on those in need.  Sometimes it seems as though the little bits I do don't add up to much in the face of the overwhelming need out there.  But when my little bits are put with other people's little bits it becomes obvious that together we are doing a lot to brighten the days of those in need.

You can crochet , knit, sew, or whatever to make your items.  They can be for humans or animals.  The only limiting factor is that they are for charity.  If you want to get a head start on your items or continue a little past the 6 days, that's fine too.  This is a flexible time limit.  At the end of the time, please post your total in big bold colors and I will make a composite total.  I aim to put it up by the weekend, although that sometimes runs a bit longer.

If you can't join us in making items, but want to cheer us on, that's always appreciated, too.   :cheer 

So gather up your supplies and decide on one or more items to work on and join us Thursday for a fun 6 days.  I plan on working on prayer shawls and preemie afghans or maybe a baby blanket afghan, but that's always open for change.

See you soon.   :manyheart 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big welcome to everyone!!!  I'm so glad to see all of you.   :welcome 

Krazycrocheter, of course you can start last night or today!  Running early or late is perfectly acceptable here.  We are very flexible with the dates.  In fact, I started a preemie hat yesterday to go with the preemie afghan I'm planning to make.  Now, I remember another reason I dislike knitting and prefer crocheting.  It's slower, but that's the obvious reason.  Second, but just as important, is that when I have a stitch slide off one of the needles it's not one stitch I have to retrieve, but many.  I lost multiple stitches off the left needle multiple times  ( :eek    :eek), and then lost multiple stitches off BOTH needles the last time ( :bang ) .   I did recover them all, but after knitting a row without losing any of them, I put it down and decided to wait for today to continue.

The hat is a medium green and the afghan will be in yellow, medium green, and dark green.  The afghan will be a big granny square.  15 rows yields me an 18" afghan when done with ww yarn and an I hook.  I do a modified granny square with solid sides and they turn out so cute.  I'll do 6 rows of the center color, 5 rows of the middle color, and 4 rows of the outside color and then do a little puffy border of some sort.  It varies with the mood I'm in.  These go to the local NICU.  They usually have about 100 babies in there at any given time.  Some for just a few days and some for months.  We get regular thank yous from the director.  And I have happened to run into a few of the moms who have received the afghans and they can't say enough about how those gifts boosted their spirits and helped them keep going during those scary days.  When that happens, I know I'm doing something for God in reaching out to others in need.  Each one does make a difference.   :c9 

I've decided to work on

that I have been looking at for ages at YouTube.  it looks to be easy and should work up quickly...

I'm wondering if I could make

- love the technique but it may take more effort.

I am so looking forward to all we can get done over this time. :manyheart

Darski, a friend of mine made that blanket. It is very nice. However, the video skips a bit toward the end, leaving out some instructions. You will probably notice it when you get there. My friend was able to figure it out though. I can't wait to see yours.

I just had surgery and it had complications. I just bought an Addi king size knitting machine and was going to crank out some scarves, but so far I can't stand for more than a few minutes, so I need a plan B for this month.

Linda, it must be rewarding to see the babies who get your blankets. For 10 years before she passed, my mom was in a quilting group and she delivered hundreds of quilts to the very hospital where she died. The nursery there would stop everything and dig though the bags of quilts oohing and aahing. She really felt her work was appreciated.

A few years ago, I took beanie hats to the veterans homeless shelter. Guys were wearing the hats in about 10 seconds! They were amazing men.

yes, i know the part that is missing but it is easy to figure out.  My challenge for now is deciding on the alternate colour - I am finishing up more of my Aran yarn and I think brown would be interesting. Any thoughts anyone... I do have a lovely spring apple green :)

I may not give this much time this month, but I'll do some.

I'm  trying to finish up a shawl for myself because I'm freezing at work, and I'm also itching to try thread crochet again. I have hook and thread on the way, and some I bought locally to start playing around with while I wait for the better stuff. I CAN do this. After I made a few snowflakes for a challenge CAL on here, maybe a couple of years ago, I said never, ever again. But I think with a Clover soft touch hook it should be easier than with the slippery metal toothpicks (laughingly also known as steel hooks) and a better thread than I was using then, maybe I'll have a shot at making it work. Also, I think the snowflakes weren't the best introduction. Tiny, very open, spikey, hard to hold, with fiddly new stitches yet. I'll never again try to learn a new stitch in thread, but use yarn until I have it down. This time I'm going to start with some more solid coasters and little doilies until I feel comfortable with it and learn to manage the hook and thread. All I want to do right now is go play in that pasture.

But I'll pull out the trusty Caron One Pound again. Maybe I'll start something in squares. I can bring those to work and play with my new toys when I'm at home. I'll get on Ravelry tonight and see if I can find an interesting motif.

I have come up with a pattern to make a hat to match (of course I have to have a hat) the Unique blankie and sweater.  I have also discovered that I don't want to use brown as the contrast colour.  I am tempted to try a salmon-y colour if I have more of it.

post-4896-0-11572900-1381950400_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-24689200-1381950401_thumb.jpg

I like the pattern just not in those colours.

Well that was quick.  I had started this on Wed (about 10 rows) but it sure makes up in no time at all.

post-4896-0-37980400-1382101850_thumb.jpg

I have to decide what type of sweater to make to go with it.  Might make a few hats while deciding.

:cheer    :cheer    :cheer    :cheer

You are all off to a great start!  I've got about 2 1/2 inches of the preemie hat done.  I'm still dropping multiple stitches all the time though so it's slow going.   I do have three rows of a prayer shawl in homespun done and about 40% of another in fancy red yarn.

Darski, I love both the blanket and hat you've done.

Cindy, those scrappy Christmas stockings are adorable.

Krazychrocheter, those squares are so cheerful.  Good going.

Yesterday was a crazy day, but I did get in some crocheting at work (but not much) and some more at my prayer shawl group meeting.  I have today off so plan to get more done now.  Have a wonderful day!   :cheer    :cheer    :cheer 

I have a contrasting sweater almost done (I so hate sleeves) and the hat to match is well under way.  I'll need another project for the next few days I guess. 

Love this focus time each month. :manyheart

Just finished 2 orange granny squares.attachicon.gif1017130212.jpg

Love your pretty orange granny squares.  :manyheart

I finished up a preemie afghan I was working on and started another.

Wonderful news that you already have one afghan finished.  :clap

Well that was quick.  I had started this on Wed (about 10 rows) but it sure makes up in no time at all.

attachicon.gifoct01.jpg

I have to decide what type of sweater to make to go with it.  Might make a few hats while deciding.

What a beautiful blanket. I love the colors you ended up going with. :yes

:cheer    :cheer    :cheer    :cheer

You are all off to a great start!  I've got about 2 1/2 inches of the preemie hat done.  I'm still dropping multiple stitches all the time though so it's slow going.   I do have three rows of a prayer shawl in homespun done and about 40% of another in fancy red yarn.

Darski, I love both the blanket and hat you've done.

Cindy, those scrappy Christmas stockings are adorable.

Krazychrocheter, those squares are so cheerful.  Good going.

Yesterday was a crazy day, but I did get in some crocheting at work (but not much) and some more at my prayer shawl group meeting.  I have today off so plan to get more done now.  Have a wonderful day!   :cheer    :cheer    :cheer 

Thanks for all the kind words. Best wishes to you on your hat and prayer shawl. :)

Archived