Bummed about the demise of periwinkle

Afghaniac

For my most recent project, I really yearned for a skein of periwinkle blue, but couldn't find any acrylic worsted anywhere in anything resembling that shade. No other shade, it seemed to me, would work to match some of nature's blue flowers.

I think it  was a Caron Wintuk color, and what ever happened to that delightfully soft yarn, with a color selection that could be counted on for the perfect color? I believe there also used to be a similar shade in Red Heart Classic or Super Saver, but no more.

Periwinkle seems to have gone the way of the elusive soft peach shades I always loved. Are companies leaving it up to the expensive specialty yarn makers to supply all the good colors. Kind of the way that only the expensive clothing companies give us garments in good colors. But that's another vent for another place and another time.

I guess I'm just venting, but  hopeful that yarn companies might "listen" to us here.

I had lamented the passing of RHSS's charcoal for years and years. Finally it came back. So hang in there! Maybe the wheels will turn a little faster for you than they did for me.

The color I wish RH would make is a green about the lightness of spring green, but not so intense. The green spectrum seems to run pale or baby green, almost fluorescent green, Christmas greens and darker.

Yes, I wish they'd make a more "realistic" nature's green shade. I've had better luck with Michael's Loops & Threads and Vanna's Choice for greens. For my last afghan, I used a mix of RH Medium Thyme (pretty dark), Michael's Fern, and Michael's Forest. They worked pretty well together.

I had lamented the passing of RHSS's charcoal for years and years. Finally it came back. So hang in there! Maybe the wheels will turn a little faster for you than they did for me.

The color I wish RH would make is a green about the lightness of spring green, but not so intense. The green spectrum seems to run pale or baby green, almost fluorescent green, Christmas greens and darker.

I don't know what price you want to stay under, but for periwinkle (and also for nice greens) take a look at Berroco Comfort.  of course   the colors on the site are not absolutely true to the actual color  http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-comfort

but the color they call aster to me seems a true periwinkle.  

there is a find this yarn feature on the page so you can see what yarn shops in your area carry it.  Even if you didn't find the exact color in stock, maybe they would have a sample book with lengths of yarn you could look at to determine if the color would work.   It runs about $6 a skein, 210 yds.  

I haven't seen that yarn around here, but what a lovely range of colors, especially blues. It's a little more pricey than my usual, but not bad for small quantities. Thank you!

I don't know what price you want to stay under, but for periwinkle (and also for nice greens) take a look at Berroco Comfort.  of course   the colors on the site are not absolutely true to the actual color  http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-comfort

but the color they call aster to me seems a true periwinkle.  

there is a find this yarn feature on the page so you can see what yarn shops in your area carry it.  Even if you didn't find the exact color in stock, maybe they would have a sample book with lengths of yarn you could look at to determine if the color would work.   It runs about $6 a skein, 210 yds.  

I haven't seen that yarn around here, but what a lovely range of colors, especially blues. It's a little more pricey than my usual, but not bad for small quantities. Thank you!

I used Comfort for the "ocean" afghan in my avatar because it had enough colors in the aquamarine-blue-purple range.  

the store finder does indicate there are a bunch of stores in the Atlanta area that carry it.  You might even find it on sale :hook

The colors in your avatar are beautiful. I will be on the lookout for Comfort on my wanderings.

I used Comfort for the "ocean" afghan in my avatar because it had enough colors in the aquamarine-blue-purple range.  

the store finder does indicate there are a bunch of stores in the Atlanta area that carry it.  You might even find it on sale :hook

It is hard to find favourite colours, I wanted a certain colour for a blanket, once i had decided, well, nothing else would do!

I ended up buying some nice acrylic from Paradise. The low cost more than compensated for postage. I chose the cheaper postage, rather than guaranteed 2 day delivery, it took about 10 days.

I do prefer supporting local shops, but we only have the one!

http://www.yarn-paradise.com/yarntag/page/570

Archived