Some advice please!

waysouth

Question

Hi, I'm intending to crochet a floor rug/play mat for a baby.

What do you think would be the best weight yarn to use? I thought chunky might be comfortable.

What type of yarn would be best? It obviously needs to be washable and nice and soft.

Any guidelines gratefully received,

Thanks for reading

7 answers to this question

Red Heart Super Saver. 

It comes in so many colors and wears like iron.  It softens up nicely when you wash and dry it.  I throw in a softener sheet and it's great.

Thanks RoseRed, but we don't have that here

Thanks RoseRed, but we don't have that here

You might go to the Red Heart web site and order the Red Heart Super Saver!  It's definitely worth the try!  That yarn is durable and soft!!

Whatever you have available in your area in acrylic in aran or bulky weight; I would not choose a really 'fluffy' yarn for a rug - it will not hold up well, but I'm not sure what sort of use it will get.  And, put a pad under it which is meant to keep it from slipping.

If you are interested, Yarnover.com, a Australian online store, carries American and Canadian yarns including baby yarns. Maybe they can be of service to you.

In US terms, 5 or 6 weight yarn is excellent for a baby's play rug. If not available, you could always use 2 strands of soft yarn to give it a nice cushioning.

:) 

Thanks FlossiePotts,

We don't have Big W down here, but I've just had a look in Spotlight, the Panda soft is lovely. I'm surprised though, after checking out the link from ReniC, how cheap the American yarns are compared to ours. They are much larger skeins, really good value.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to advise me.

Archived