Good quality acrylic

sil

Ok, so here I am, new in America from Europe and I have no clue about so many of the yarns here.

Hope you all can help me.

I can absolutely not wear anything with wool in it so I am trying to find very soft acrylic that washes well and can be made with crochet hook K.10.5. Any good suggestions for that? I would be so thankful after spending so many hours on the internet and not getting anywhere. :-(

Hi Sil!  You might also want to post in the Yarn Talk section, as this post is in the Thread section...which would be the lightweight cotton used with a small hook to make doilies for example.  

What exactly do you want to make?  Garments, blankets?  Is there a specific pattern you have in mind?  K is a pretty big hook, so I wonder if you want bulky weight yarn, or to use a lighter weight yarn held double?  

Berrocco Comfort is a really nice, soft yarn that comes in many colors.  http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-comfort

it also comes in several weights besides worsted, which are listed at the bottom of the page.  

You might like to check www.knitpicks.com

They carry a lovely acrylic yarn called Brava. I have been using since it came out several years

ago. It is soft and durable, launders well holding shape and color.

They offer it in worsted weight,Dk weight and bulky, and a good selection of lovely colors.

If you place a 50. order shipping is free.

Good lock finding yarn.

Thank you ladies for the quick response. I sure will post my question in yarn talk as well. Did not realize I was in the wrong topic. I want to make a triangle shawl/ wrap for the freezing cold days here in Houston. (Well, ok, it's more to wear to restaurants when you freeze your buttocks off from the ac.:-))

I started making one from lion brand homespun (i have no idea how that holds up in the wash) but I don't really like the shine in the yarn. To me it looks synthetic and I did not want that look. It's very soft and cuddly though. I like that part.

I will also check out berroco and brava.

@spiritwalker: During my search on the internet I came across several complains about knitpicks. Supposedly their website was hacked a while ago and creditcard numbers stolen. They never properly informed their costumers about. A bunch of people got warning calls from their bank that their card was used in other countries etc. other people found out on their own. I don't really want to do business with Knitpicks for that reason. Just so that you know about this.:-)

Speaking of Hobby Lobby you have the I love this yarn.  It is very soft and if you don't mind using it, they have a cotton called I love this cotton that is very, very soft.  I use it for anything I use acrylic yarn for.

The best will be since you are new here, is go to a Joann's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby to touch and feel the yarn.

Welcome to the US

Archived