Seashell pattern

gdenesse

Question

I am looking for a pattern for seashell in thread.  I would like to have a pattern to do thread crochet over a rock, as seen on Etsy.  I've done this kind of crochet with doily type patterns, but I really like the seashells too.  I can almost make out the pattern by looking at the pictures, but not quite.

6 answers to this question

For a coiled shell, start out making a spiral in sc, then gradually make taller stitches until you get to the outer section where you probably need at least double triple if not taller. Just keep spiraling and increasing the st height. To make the coils stand out, create a ridge by stitching into the back loop only. Or add a surface crochet line. That is what i did when i made these http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kaycrochet/freeform-sea-life-towel-decoration

That pattern is nice, but the one I was looking for is on Etsy.  It's thread crochet on rocks.  After the first couple of rounds the stitches are turned, working in the opposite direction.  No ridge. I tried to paste a photo, then I tried to copy the link, but have been unable to do so.  It is on the Etsy shop "TableTopJewels".  Thanks, Gay

I see the one you mean, the sts on the outer round become perpendicular to the previous rounds. All i can say is, play around with it. i freeformed my shells, and i would bet money the etsy seller did too, and there is no pattern to be found.

Yeah, I thinking that when I go perpendicular I will have to make a chain, turn and double or treble around the chain, slip stitch into the last round, and turn again. I think.  I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I think maybe you could do this. When you want to start the different part stop at the dc ch 3, and do some dc sideways going down the dc, sl st from the last dc into the 3rd sc, ch 3 sl st into the top of the beg ch, ch 3 dc down that ch, sl st into the 3rd sc and continue that way.

Archived