New to crochet. Need stitch help

b_uffy_summers

Question

Basically I am a knitter but my sister wants a boofle teddy so I need to learn to crochet as he is a crochet dog! Jumping in at the deep end a bit here I know.

Not sure whether this forum is UK or US so bear with me lol.

I need to start with a magic loop which I can do but then I need to go on to dc ( or sc for The US)

Watching YouTube videos I see people put the hook under the top two stiches buy my patter shows it only going under 1 stitch but this makes it really holey :( (see attachment)

I have tried just crocheting rows to get practice and just going under one stitch seems to her the textured effect that boofle is instead of a smooth surface but when I try it on a round it is holey.

When a do rows by going under both stitches , that also seems holey :S

21 answers to this question

Crocheting is not really difficult, I think the hardest part usually is following a pattern lol

in addition to the pattern booklet, you might want to get a reference book on crochet....do you have a local library where you could check out a book?  

There is quite a bit of good info online for the basics of crocheting.  I think those videos on the CGOA site that I linked are really good, Kim Guzman is a good teacher.  

And you can ask questions here, as many as you need to!  We will do everything we can to help you get going with the project.  

I don't know why yours is smaller but do you crochet really tight? My daughter crochets so tight it is much smaller than my things are. I don't really think the pattern means to go in one loop though as that isn't usually done for these animals and the picture doesn't show that. The attatchment you had was in the chain and it would look different if done in the stitch.

Hi, So I crocheted my Boofle body. The pattern used a 3mm hook but I used 4 and Sitting up he should be 17cm. Mine's body is only 8 cm I dont see that working out :(

What have I done wrong?? IS it something to do with the fact the pattern shows dc (sc for usa) going under 1 stich where a I have gone under both?

I think a knitter would find crochet relatively holey, comparing single crochet to stockinette or garter for instance.  It's just the nature of the stitch.

For toys, it's best to make a tight stitch (so the stuffing doesn't show), so you might need to use a smaller hook than called for. 

The top of each crochet stitch is 2 loops.  The convention is to use both loops when making the next stitch--the pattern will specify when not to use both loops.  Using the back loop only (BLO) is how crocheters make a stretchy ribbing, not ideal for toys.  FLO is less common, but it's a trick used in toys (or, something not reversible)  for a less bulky decrease.

Hm, i would have thought you could remove it by going in to edit your post. But really don't worry about it if you can't, we all make mistakes!

Here is a video of sc, at about 3 minutes it starts showing working into the next row. http://www.crochet.org/?LearnCrochetRight

Lots of other info there under the Learn tab on the left side of page.

I can't open the link in your post 6 right now. I did google and saw some knit garter st Boofles so those of course had garter ridges. But if you are using the dmc crochet pattern i linked in post 7, i dont see back loop only lines there. The pattern should say explicitly if you are to work in back loop only.

The photo you attached is actually in violation of the forum guidelines, so at some point the admin will remove it from the post. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ;-)

But what it shows is working into a chain, not working into the top of a stitch.

Is this your pattern? http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/boofle-and-friends-christmas-dmc-crochet-pattern-booklet-14941l2-10506-p.asp

What i can see in the photo, that is regular sc not sc in back loop only....which leaves a definite line.

Archived