manda

Snap...crackle...pop!

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have this problem with their wrist when they crochet? :think

Within the past year or so my wrists will snap and crackle when I crochet sometimes. It appears to be random too...only every once and awhile, sometimes after I've been crocheting for awhile. It does not hurt at all, but I can feel it everytime it snaps, usually everytime I make a stitch. I have tried crocheting without moving my wrist, using my fingers to move the hook, but it is not as comfortable. It basically sounds like the noise rice crispies make when milk has been poured on them. :blush I usually take a break when this happens because the noise gives me the heebie jeebies like fingernails on a chalk board.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or am I just getting old? :sigh

I have that snapping and cracking of the wrist. You're right it does not hurt. At first it started with every once in awhile, but now that I have been crocheting for a couple years now, it's all the time. Anyway, you're not the only one.

Val

Mine pop every once in a while, but I don't have it every time.

I have more of a problem with my shoulder if I don't have my elbow supported while I crochet, anyone have that problem?? :(

I have that shoulder problem Ouch ouch! I exclusively pump breast milk for my son and I crochet when I pump which is not an easy task having to hold the horns onto my breasts and having my hands available to crochet. Its like my hands are super super close to my body in the middle, right at chest level and the forearm is holding the horns on. That doesnt help the shoulder problem any. It just makes both of them hurt! I dont have that crackling problem when crocheting tho.

I don't have popping wrists; I have a "stuck" thumb.

Every morning, I have to press below the knuckle and "wiggle" my thumb until it moves normally. Then it's fine until I go to sleep again.

The best way I can describe it is it feels like a toothpick across the knuckle, and I have to break the toothpick. Yeah, I know it's weird, but that's the best I can come up with. animal0083.gif

I actually have the opposite problem. I have some issues with trigger fingers on my right hand because of all the typing I do, and for some reason crocheting helps loosen that up. I must be using different muscles or something.

You know my right wrist pops when I'm making doilies. Not when I work with yarn. Hmmm. It doesnt do it every time but I was wondering about it myself. I wonder if we could do anything for it. Or if its bad at all?

I don't have it while I'm actually crocheting, but every so often I have to put my work down and pop my right wrist (the hand I hold the yarn with) a few times or it feels funny. I have a history of tendinitis & carpal tunnel problems in that wrist though from back when I used to do data entry work, and it was when I started having problems with it that it started "wanting" to be popped every so often.

Hi all, just wanna ask... so is it alright to continue crocheting despite the cracking sound from the wrist?

I crochet on and off whenever I have free time, and only recently this cracking sound surface... 

Any idea what causes it? am I crocheting wrongly?

I have all sorts of hand/arm issues (but not crackle and pop!).  I have to ration my crafting time to not cause pain, like a couple of hours a day.  I'd have to say, if it hurts, stop for a while (like a few days) and try crocheting for shorter spurts.  If it doesn't hurt...keep an eye (or ear) on it; you don't want to develop a repetitive motion injury (like I did).  Whatever you do, don't assume it's carpal tunnel and buy a sleeve without a doctor's checkover (could be the worst thing to do if it's not carpal tunnel).

People just don't realize how much we go through to make these beautiful things, do they?!  I have tendonitis in my left thumb that makes itself known to me every now and then (--like every time I crochet! :lol )  But, after stopping for 5 minutes or so, and rubbing my thumb, I just go on with my project!!

Many years ago, I read about how the crackling joints has to do with the senovial fluid between each joint. I don't know if that's spelled correctly.

Apparently we have a tiny cushion of fluid between each bone, between the joints, that helps the joints move smoothly. Probably with use and age, causing distortions and arthritis, the fluid gets squashed and moved out of place.

With me, once in a while, I have a finger joint get stuck while I crochet. It doesn't hurt, but it feels very peculiar. I have to grip that joint with the fingers of my other hand and move it around to loosen it up. It will be fine after that.

My left shoulder and neck are much more likely to act up, in a very painful way too. I have a bad disk in my neck, which is not good to have with the position in which we sit to crochet, and look at our work. I now always support my arms, and my favorite chair is a rocking chair. Your arms are actually very heavy and can cause a lot of pain in the shoulder, neck or upper back if unsupported. All of you younger women may as well take up the habit of supporting your arms if you want to crochet into your older years without a lot of pain.

Best of all, if you crochet all afternoon or evening, take a lot of breaks. Get up, move around, stretch, go do something. It really does make a difference. I know what it's like when your crochet is going along beautifully, and the only time you stop for a minute and look up is to check the pattern or take a sip of coffee. When you look at the clock, 2 hours have gone by, but you'd swear it's only been 45 minutes! Now you go to get up and oh man, does something hurt. A lot. Your hip, or ribs, or shoulder. How did that happen? Yup, you need to take breaks more frequently. Should have listened!