Sign in to follow this  
Tampa Doll

Just like Chenille?

Is there a yarn that looks like chenille or as rich as chenille? 

I am going to make an angel for a friend for Christmas and the pattern calles for chenille, 400 yards.  As this is overly expensive, I would like to find something just as rich looking, but not as expensive. 

Also along with maroon, or dark green, or dark blue or white, would purple look good?

I have sometime, before I have to start this.

I did a search for chenille just to see what you were looking to replace and found this. 

http://www.herrschners.com/product/Herrschners+Chenille+Yarn.aspx

Seems like Hobby Lobby used to have something similiar texture wise but seems like it was in pastels.  Don't know what they have now and it seems like most of their novelty yarn has increased in price quite a bit over the past couple of years. 

Yeah, Thanks for the info.  I was looking for something not so expensive that will make the angel look rich.  I guess I will have to go hunting around.

There was a post in the "seeking" section about a baby blanket that was a type of chenille.  The one suggested was a Bernat baby yarn.  I looked it up and they had a pretty white and vanilla color(not exactly sure what you were looking for) and quite a few varigated colors.  I found them on yarnspirations on sale for 2.99/skein.  The skeins are only 84 yards though so higher than the herrschners even(if I figured it correctly)  Good luck and hope you find what you need.

Thank you janni,  I will check that out.  I am looking for something that will make the angel look rich without spenidng a fortune on yarn.

are you planning on working it with reg yarn, or are you talking about a thread that is chenile, as you can see, I know nothing about threads, lol, If you are wanting to use reg chenile, I might have some, and would go looking, what colors are you interested in please.....

They have it in maroon and dark green and white with gold wings and stuff.  I am going to post a picture of it tomorrow, and it is not thread,

I have purple and I was wondering if that would be good enough, but I am not sure I even have enough.  I will put all the info in tomorrow along with a picture of the angel.

I was finally able to get this scanned in.

I want to make one of these 2 angels, there are 5 patterns and they all use the same amount of yarn.  So what I am looking for is something that will make this look as rich as if I used chenille.

I have also scanned in the materials list for one of the angels, but they all use the same amount of chenille.

Colors they used are Burgundy, white, blue and dark green.

post-105-0-43768500-1379861840_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-25972600-1379861852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tampa Doll

ok, so, as i understand it, you don't want to use chenile, but soemthing like it, right...Plush yarn, or amoure is good, plush i think is discontinued, but either of those are kind of soft and fuzzy and come or came in rich colors..If you want four ply chenile, in those colors, I may be able to find some in my stash somewhere, do you want me to look for them,or are you checking out other possible substitutions.

Thank you.  It looks like the chenille they are useing is not ww.  I appreciate you willing to look.  I will look for the other also.

Not sure if this means anything Mary Jo, but don't you have to be careful of what you use to keep with the size of doll and also for starching or stiffening? 

I just checked and all my chenille is worsted weight.  I don't think that'd work here.  There's no way you'd be able to work it with an 0 hook.

It is a finer yarn than the ww.  The 0 hooks is not large enough for the ww.  The doll is an air-freshner doll.  The Honeysuckle is about a sports weight or smaller yarn.

Why O why did Peaches and Cream have to go out of business.

Thank you all for the help anyway,

I just heard from someone who worked for P&C they said it was listed as DK.

Edited by Tampa Doll

well that is that then, lol I know you can get reg, crochet thread in metalics, maybe that would work, held with a strand of fingering, or somthing,. Let  us know wht you work out, as you are not one to quit, lol      good luck! ]

How about a thin boucle in a rich color?  When worked with a small hook it comes out beautifully.

I purchased a lot of fingering weight chenille from alchemyfyr here on the ville. I have an entire cone of Burgundy, but don't have any white or green. Let me know if you want some and I will send you a package.

Edited by Shining_Star

Okay I lied. I found some white. It is not a snow white though and a light sage green. The burgandy is much prettier in person.

post-65347-0-77869600-1380337522_thumb.jpg