hat help

JellyBean

Question

This may be a silly question. I have been crocheting for years, but mainly blankets. I haven't made many hats.

When you crochet a hat and it starts to curl into the hat shape, is it curling with the right or wrong side out? I finished a hat last night and when I turned it inside out, it looks better?

TIA

6 answers to this question

If you like the one side better go for it. My hats are always good side out, but i think it also depends on how you crochet and hold your work?

My Puff stitch beret, looks better wrong side out, because the puffs are puffier, iykwim, And with certain funky yarns it also looks better wrong side out.

It also depends on whether you turn each row, or work in a spiral.  If you turn each row, there is no right or wrong side.  Otherwise--I also agree that you can use either side you prefer for the "right" side!

This may be a silly question. I have been crocheting for years, but mainly blankets. I haven't made many hats.

When you crochet a hat and it starts to curl into the hat shape, is it curling with the right or wrong side out? I finished a hat last night and when I turned it inside out, it looks better?

TIA

I was recently helping a friend crochet a flower.

Her method of crochet was to hold the yarn in her right hand and use a knit technique.

When she finished her flower, I had a problem working out why hers looked different to mine.

Turns out, the direction she passed the yarn meant she was actually crocheting inside out.

In your case, it could be that you did not flip your hat through after the first few rows.

A hat shape generally wants to be inside out at the start so you just flip it through.

The side facing you, as you work, is usually the right side, unless you crochet inside out like my friend.

One way to think of it is to look at the hat like a cup and the edge you work on is the edge you would drink from.

Hope one of these ideas help.

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived