September Charity Get Together: 9/19 - 9/24

busy-bee-lmt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting started a bit late. But then late is better than never, right. :lol

I started a mini Christmas sock last night and got just the toe done. Now I'm at work and can't crochet again until tonight but at least I got started...

:cheer  Cheering on everyone else and hope you all have a wonderful day.  :manyheart 

busy-bee, what's bad is when I fall asleep with my headphones on and audiobook playing. One night I did that and was dreaming, but someone kept just loudly yakking on and on and on. I am mild mannered, rarely raise my voice, but I was yelling at this guy in the dream "Shut up! Just SHUT UP!" Man I hated him!

I think the V stitches cured the problem with the wavy edge on the blue lapghan. I have about half a round of dc left on that border, and then something to finish it off, a round of sc or reverse sc. I should be able to finish it tonight after work or in the morning.

I had to come to work early today for a flu shot. I don't think they're absolutely mandatory for the library staff as they are for nearly everyone else, but it is strongly "encouraged" and they're free, so I do. Since I was here early, I took my work out to another computer (in the middle of the afternoon we need to look at least a little busy) and got it all done, so I have nothing to do for the rest of the night. I have the seashell lapghan with me so I'll be working on that.

:cheer   Yay, Cindy.  You are started!

I didn't pick up the crochet hook yesterday as my shoulder was sore from Thursday.  I started rearranging my craft room instead.  Well at least I got one heavy chair moved.   :P   My craft room is actually my living room, and I'm rearranging it so that my loom doesn't sit in the middle of it and block off the wrong things.  Right now I can't get at my sewing machine and I need it to do a crib quilt for my church's Red Door Festival.  (Our one big fund raiser of the year for outreach funds.)  

I'll have my crochet with me at work today.  I get to crochet or read or whatever if there are no customers present and no stocking to help with.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.   :manyheart

I thought the scarf would be finished by now,its at 38"

there's been too much drama in this household lately,I really hate alzhimers disease

I have a friend who is dealing with this as well.  She is just about fried with concern and worries.

I have 3 hats done but I am moving on to baby sweaters/hat sets. I love this pattern.  I can't do broomstick lace these days but I just play with the bottom of the sweater to suit me.

busy bee and pineknott - I'm sorry you're having problems of one sort of another.

I got nothing done on the seashells last night. I was going to do the new schedule today, but I saw that the student worker who always hovers and tells me how to do it was on today, I did it last night. The simplest policy is just to do when she's not on. The rest of the time I just played around on the computer.

I did finish the blue one before I came in to work today - except for weaving in the tails, but since it's a solid color there are only a few. I'll do those after work tonight. I brought the seashells back and maybe I can make myself work on it tonight. The problem is I'm just not motivated with these. I want to start new things with new yarn.  :lol It's a lighter blue than it looks like in this picture - really a baby/sky blue. At least the seashells has more color variety. I get pretty bored working on solid color afghans.

post-39480-0-95496400-1379798510_thumb.jpg

Well Donna, that is a great afghan.. Did you say you made up that pattern? You should jot it down! Did you mention where your completed projects go? It's nice to think about how happy the recipient will be.

Everyone is doing so great. Woo hoo!

Love the afghan.  The pattern is beautiful.  Well the 15" baby doll now has booties.  I'm hoping to get started on a new dress soon.  DH promised he'd help me get some pictures done.  I haven't done anything with my blog in ages. :yes

Thanks, Denise. The pattern is very simplistic. The "slats" are three rows: one of dc, one of sc, one of dc. Having the sc in the middle keeps the front of the dc's on the same side of the fabric. The lattice is just 5 rows of V st. It needs to be an odd number of rows, again so the front of the dc's face the same way.  I put 3 dc's on the end of the V rows, but don't really like that. Next time I'll just put one to have something to attach the border to, taking the V's all the way to the side. With all that V stitching, it goes like the wind and is pretty frugal with the yarn as well. I was crocheting around a lot of holes :lol .

I have been giving everything a nun friend of mine in administration at a local hospital. She sends them to their cancer center, hospice, or abused children's center. The few baby blankets I make are sent somewhere - I haven't asked her where. However with this group I have now - four I have had finished, this blue one, and the shell pattern, I am thinking of dropping them off at another charity run by one of the local churches. They take in homeless families, teach them basic financial skills if they need them, help them find jobs and when they "graduate" from the program, get them set up in apartments or houses. They accept all kinds of second hand donations, but I thought they might enjoy having some bright new afghans. I've donated a lot of household stuff there, but never anything I've made. When I take these by, I'll ask if they would like to have more of them. I like the idea of them going to families who are trying to pick up the pieces in these hard times and get a fresh start, and the lapghan size I make would be perfect for children.

Oh, Pine Knot, Alzheimer's is a horrible disease.   :hug

Darski, that is a fabulous pattern.  So cute.

Donna, I really like your blue afghan, although, like you, I don't really like doing solid colored ones.  I like your idea of giving them to people trying to put their lives back together.

Bailey, I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.  Your outfits are always so very lovely.

I worked on a blue prayer shawl this afternoon while at work and just about tripled the length of it, but that's still not even half way done.  I'm not sure why this one is giving me such a hard time, but it is.  Maybe the fact that I've a done an awful lot of this pattern lately and that there isn't much variation in the color scheme.

Everyone is doing great!   :cheer    :cheer    :cheer

DDC what a great program!

My toys go to a local tech high school program.  The students run a toy drive at Christmas as part of their business school program.  They learn about organizing a charity, working with social service agencies, keeping records, etc.  I like the idea that not only do needy kids get the toys, but I'm also helping the local tech high school kids get some real life training.

Darski, I really like that pattern.  Will try to copy it later today.

Bailey, I like the idea of helping on multiple levels and I bet the tech students appreciate your gifts.

I'm going to try to finish up my craft room rearranging today and sneak in some crochet time, too.

Have a great Sunday.   :manyheart

Darski, that is a nice pattern. I just bought some bulky yarn for a poncho, but that would be a nice pattern for a shawl out of it. I may do so calculation and see if what I bought would be enough for it.

Last night after work I finished up the shell portion of the second lapghan. Now I just have the wide border to do - that may take almost as long as the shells. Still, I'm hoping I can get it finished Monday and Tuesday. I didn't bring it back to work - it's just too big to handle at the desk. Anyway, I've been asked to write a procedures manual for my job and I've been, let's just say, dragging my feet because I'm getting to things I have to do so rarely I have to go back and actually figure out again how to do them. I need the spend most of my time today on that, instead of playing. It seems unfair somehow  :lol  I am so spoiled!

Yay, everyone!

I'm away from the computer the  next couple of days, but I'll post final totals and (I really, really hope) a picture of the second lapghan - done. But that may be unduly optimistic.

Archived