September Charity Get Together: 9/19 - 9/24

busy-bee-lmt

Hello, everyone.   :waving   Thursday next week will be the third Thursday of the month and the beginning of our monthly get together.  Many of us do charity crafting throughout the month and year.  And there are many on-going projects in the charity section of Crochetville.  My hat's off to all of you.   :applause

For some of us this is the time when we get together as a group to focus on charity in the midst of all the other crocheting, knitting, sewing, quilting, and weaving that we routinely do for family and friends.  Any crafts are welcome and any project that's for charity (animals are included) is welcome.  For six days we gather, chat, and craft.  At the end of the time we post our totals in big, bold letters and see what we as a group have accomplished.  Whether it's something begun, completed, or added to, it all counts in our effort to share our love with others in need.  It's always impressive no matter how small or large our group may be.  Sometimes it seems that my few bits don't add up to much, but when added to other people's few bits the total becomes much more impressive.  We are flexible.  If you want to start a day or two early; go a day or two after; or can only join us for a day or two that is fine.  I'll post a combined total, hopefully on the next weekend, so we can see our grand total.  

For those of you who just check to see what we are about, consider joining us if you have some time.   :welcome If you can't join, how about dropping us a note to cheer us on?   :cheer   We all have busy schedules, but would love to hear from you.  :day

Here are the totals from last month, if you missed them.  (I was late getting them posted.)   :P 

August Charity Totals:

8 ~ 12 inch Squares

12 Kennel Blankets

6 Mini Christmas Stockings

11 Hats

1 Lapghan completed

more progress on another Lapghan

1 Preemie Afghan

1 Baby Blanket Assembled

2 Prayer shawls

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Darski.   :welcome   Glad to have you with us again.  How are you doing?

I'm doing much better.  Since I feel better I can get more exercise and feel better :wlol

I'm getting more crochet done as well.  Still haven't decided on a project for the blast but will likely do hats.

Welcome, Cindy!  Glad to have you with us again.   :clap

Oh, I'm so glad that things are getting better, Darski.   :hug

I am planning on prayer shawls and/or preemie blankets again this month.

I vowed to finish the things I have started before I start anything else, but I got some new hooks I want to try out, so I may start a couple of new lapghans. I got an Etimo I, and there's a ripple that's calling it's name, and an Amour J that I may use for a solid color in some pattern. I've read such good things about these hooks that I had to try them, though my budget gasped a little with the Etimo. I can't wait to try them! 

I'm still in my Use Up the Caron One Pound project, so I'll be using that.

Welcome, Denise and Donna.  Glad to have you both with us again.  How's it going using up your one pounders, Donna?   I haven't tried those hooks.  Let me know how you like them.

I stopped a yarn store while I was out this morning and bought big skein of chunky yarn that was just calling my name.  I think I'll use it on a prayer shawl.  It's a variegated dark to medium brown.  More expensive than I usually use but super soft and pretty.

I had no idea I had so much of the One Pound until I started resolutely using it. I've also added three or four more skeins when I hit decent sales in colors that will help use up some of the others. I'm using it down, I must be, but the pile doesn't seem to be shrinking much - LOL

I a little conflicted now about my stash because I've just set a target retirement date (maybe a vain wish upon a star exercise, but still...) and I feel like I need to save the stash, but it's such a large stash it feels like I should be using it up, because having a lot of stuff around eventually gets on my nerves. However, the One Pound is definitely still on the use it up now side of the ledger. I would like to have that room for yarn I will enjoy more.

@ddc...

I want to thank you for the link to the Snapdragon stitch:

post-4896-0-92020900-1379244985_thumb.jpg

The yarn is from someone's long ago stash as you can see it was 2 for 99cents. 

It is very pretty for this stitch and has a glitter thread through it.

Anyway, thanks again for the link : :clap

I'm hoping I have enough yarn for a sweater and hat but I expect to at least get a hat from it.  I have 6 skeins... :think

darksi - you are very welcome. It's really a great stitch that's easy to do but looks complex and classy.

I'm probably not going to be doing much for the CAL this month. I will finish up a blue lapghan that is very nearly done, but I've promised a friend an afghan and I decided last night while I was sitting freezing at my desk in the library that I'm going to make a shawl and keep here at work. I want to get the afghan done and need to get the shawl made, so they're my focus right now. I'll do better next month.

And oh, I madly love the Etimo hook. I started the new afghan with it - it's a dream to work with. Lightweight and easy on the hands. I've been using the Clover soft touch hooks, but I like the slightly longer hook. I also tried the Amour J a tiny bit and it's ok, but I guess I'll be gradually funding a few more the Etimo hooks - a G and H for sure. Possibly a J eventually, though after the One Pound is gone, I won't be using a J very often.

Darski, that snapdragon stitch is so amazing. I am so glad Donna shared that pattern. Our flooring was installed this week and I am trying to get things back into my craft room. Nearly all of my yarn is in storage right now, but I do have my cat mat stuff at home, so that's good for now.

As for stash, I have a job that has been crazy stressful for about two years. My mom was in hospital more than she was at home in 2011 and 2012 and passed away last December. I know that we all know how much you can cheer yourself up with a pretty skein of yarn or a few yards of fabric. Now I have so many crafting supplies that is causes arguments at home. I still have 9 years until I can retire and I keep thinking that I should be happy to have such a stash when I am on a fixed income, right? Sigh. If someone figures out what the perfect stash is, I'd love to know.

Oh, Denise, I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect stash of either material or yarn.   :lol   A perfect one would have to be one that you always have just what you need no matter what project comes up.

Hi, Pineknot!  Glad to have you with us again.

Thursday is almost here.  I'm getting a jump start on one of my prayer shawls as we sent out 15 last week from my prayer shawl group and have run out of ones for the guys.  I found some beautiful variegated brown and am getting started on it just in case we need one this week.

Well, I'll be doing more for the CAL than I thought. I kept having this nagging feeling that there was more than the blue to finish. Yep, I spotted it yesterday. I'd dropped in a different place and out of sight, out of mind. It's a shell pattern that I was just getting underway. I would like to finish both and then turn my attention to other things and let the One Pound just chill for a while. I worked on it some yesterday, jumping the gun, and brought to tonight to maybe start weaving some ends - there are a lot of color changes.

As for stash, I will still have a lot of worsted left when I retire, but I've also been collecting some baby yarns (I hit a huge closeout on Bernat baby sport) and now some DK. I played just enough with the DK when I first got it to decide I really loved working with that weight. Presumably when I retire I will have lots more time and more patience to use finer yarns and be content with slower progress on projects. So insofar as I add to the stash over the next couple of years, which I shouldn't do much, it will probably be moving in that direction.

Finished one baby doll dress.

Finished one doll diaper bag.  Just need to sew handles on second doll diaper bag.

Finished two sets of crocheted wipe holders with crocheted wipes for bags.  When I finish the bags I'll start on the doll bottles.

I'm working on my Christmas donations.  The stuff has to be dropped off at the beginning of December so I'm trying to get stuff finished.

Donna, I keep thinking that I'll just use up the yarn I have and not buy more, but then I see something that I can't pass up.  I'm partially retired and still keep adding.   :lol

Bailey4, glad to have you join us.  You are really making progress.

Tomorrow is the official first day.  Have fun.   :ghug

Well, yes, I'll doubtless do that too, but money will be tight at that point. However, a few suppers of beans would be a fair trade off for a nice squishable skein on closeout.

I've just been drooling over yarns for my projected shawl at Deramore's. Sigh. I want about six of them. How to decide???

Today I picked up the blue lapghan. Before I had to leave for work I finished the last few rows and got a start on the border. I did a round of sc, then started one of dc, and it was beginning to ripple, so I pulled out the dc. I had to stop at that point. After work I'll try it with either a round of V stitch that would be a little more flexible, or if that doesn't work, go with the rippling and disguise it with a ruffle. This one is completely a make it up as I go along, though I really like the stitch sequence I worked out and plan to use it again.

On the seashells, I did get the ends woven in as far as I had gone. I've used this before as an all over pattern, but this time I'm making it smaller and planning a wide border. I hope it turns out well, because I like the colors in it. I am, as they say, "cautiously optimistic."

Pineknott, sounds like the sensible thing to do. I don't mess up my crochet - I just fall asleep in my chair. When I was young, I used to wonder when my parents did that while tv after a day's work why they didn't just get up and go to bed. Now I know.

Donna, way to go.  I wondered the same thing about my dad growing up, but have been known to do it when I get too tired now too.

I worked like mad on the brown prayer shawl yesterday at work between customers and finished it at prayer shawl group last night.  It's already got someone who needs it (a gentle man with prostate cancer.)  It will be going out in a few days.  That made two coming in and two going out last night.  We had another one come in and go out last night as well.  We're very busy right now.  At least the demand wasn't as high as last week when 17 went out.

Archived