Projects always too short or not wide enough

guiness56

Question

95% of the afghans I make are either 7 - 10 inches shorter than the estimated length or width on the pattern.  The only times this hasn't been the case is when the yarn I used was more stretchy then it was actually longer.

I am using the same yarn the pattern calls for and one size bigger hook.  I do not crochet tight.  I don't think I do anyway.  I mean, you can see holes and it doesn't feel like wood.

The one I am working on now is supposed to be 42 1/2" long using a G hook.  I used an H and it is only 35" long.

Any suggestions?

12 answers to this question

Have you measured your gauge and compared that to the pattern gauge? 

I personally love HUGE afghans (which is why I so rarely make them, they tend to take forever and I've very little patience for that lol) but I've made several and I have not really worried about the size they ended up being. Some have been just about the size I was hoping for and others have been kind of small, but when measured they were the size they were meant to be. Gauge isn't really crucial for afghans, unless you are really wanting them to be the given size, then you need to check your gauge. 

For the length mine is off by about 1/2"  maybe a bit more.  For the width it is off by about an inch.

I guess I am crocheting too tight.  I never thought so. 

I am not really worried about the size normally.  But this is a baby blanket and I wanted it to be at least the 42 inches.  Its only supposed to be 29 wide.  I guess I'll start over.  I could add more rows but don't want to run out of yarn.

It is done in panels and I don't want one way too long and the rest way too short.

I actually used the next size hook to make it a bit bigger lol

Thanks.  Maybe I should start using the gauge.

I have to check gauge because I find I tend to crochet tighter and often find I need a larger hook.  Then I'll find someone who crochets tighter than I and my gauge will make the piece too large.

If no gauge is listed I will measure the width after I've completed a few rows or completed a section of the pattern that establishes the style.  Then I'll measure the width.  If it isn't wide enough I'll frog and start again.

There is no border on it.  It is actually a very unique afghan.  Instead of stitching the panels together, there are loops on each side of each panel and they are laced together.  It is a free pattern I found on line.  It's called the Lace-up Baby Blanket and Chick by Dot Drake.

I have to check gauge because I find I tend to crochet tighter and often find I need a larger hook.  Then I'll find someone who crochets tighter than I and my gauge will make the piece too large.

If no gauge is listed I will measure the width after I've completed a few rows or completed a section of the pattern that establishes the style.  Then I'll measure the width.  If it isn't wide enough I'll frog and start again.

I am going to do this on this one.  I haven't even completed the first panel yet so I will start over. 

I am still going to use the H hook instead of the G though.  Mainly because H is about the smallest I can go.

Maybe in the future you should just make ones that are composed of squares. That way, you can always add more squares on the length or width, or both. Oh, and buy extra yarn too!

Maybe in the future you should just make ones that are composed of squares. That way, you can always add more squares on the length or width, or both. Oh, and buy extra yarn too!

Thanks.  I don't like doing those afghans.  I perfer the one piece. 

I have just never checked my gauge or cared about the actual finished size.  I was more wondering why they were never the same size.  Now I know I crochet too tight.  Never thought I did lol.

For the one I am working on now I still used the H hook but made loose stitches.  It will be about the size it was supposed to be.  Seems any looser and it would look horrible.  And it is a size larger hook.

Now I have a really stupid question.  Is all worsted weight the same? 

That is what the pattern calls for just not a specific yarn, which I thought it did.

Now I have a really stupid question.  Is all worsted weight the same? 

That is what the pattern calls for just not a specific yarn, which I thought it did.

Not a stupid question at all! In my experience... no. Not all yarns listed as being the same weight actually are the same. There are some industry standards but it seems those are just used as guidelines/approximations. (The yardage in a ball/skein is approximate also. This is part of why it's so important to buy a little more than your project calls for, just so you can really be sure you won't run out!) Some of the worsted weight yarns in my stash are a bit more bulky, and others are leaning toward DK, and the same goes for all the other weights too. Like, I have some lace weight that is a bit thicker and I LOVE working with it. But then there have been a couple other lace weights that are like trying to work with sewing thread they are so fine, and they drive me bonkers. (I still sometimes buy them though because they are just so gorgeous!) 

Is all worsted weight the same?

No.  Worsted weight is a range of thickness - not a specific thickness.

Let's take Caron for example.  Natura or Pounders are one of the thickest worsted weight yarns around.  Simply Soft is one of the thinnest - it's very close to bordering on sport weight.  That's just within one manufacterer.

Take Red Heart Super Saver yarn.  A lot of times the thickness of the yarn itself will change depending on the color.  I have no idea why this is.  But the range of size depending on color can be enough to warrant going up a hook size just to keep gauge within a pattern.  Most people don't do that and in the finished product it usually self adjusts but it happens.

Is all worsted weight the same?

No.  Worsted weight is a range of thickness - not a specific thickness.

Let's take Caron for example.  Natura or Pounders are one of the thickest worsted weight yarns around.  Simply Soft is one of the thinnest - it's very close to bordering on sport weight.  That's just within one manufacterer.

Take Red Heart Super Saver yarn.  A lot of times the thickness of the yarn itself will change depending on the color.  I have no idea why this is.  But the range of size depending on color can be enough to warrant going up a hook size just to keep gauge within a pattern.  Most people don't do that and in the finished product it usually self adjusts but it happens.

I often find that the same brands of wool, have different thickness for different colours. It must have something to do with the dyes.

Archived