I want to help...

Concobar

I'm 30yo and I live in Minnesota. I learned how to crochet about 2 years ago and I love it!  It's a great thing to do during our long, cold Minnesota winters!
Things with shape and curves are not something I have tackled yet. At this point, my skills are limited with squares and rectangles (scarves & afghans!)  I've completed one whole afghan and have half of a few more done. I stick with scarves because my attention span isn't long enough for much else! 

After the 6th or 7th scarf, my hubby said to me "Honey, you don't even wear scarves. What are you going to do with all of these?"  Which was an excellent point, because he's right. I don't wear scarves.

Anyways, long story short, I began donating them to Handmade Especially for You. I love the organization, it's a 501c3 and they donate thousands of scarves to women's shelters each year. Great cause. But... it's in southern California and I really want to put my efforts to use locally where we do experience winter and scarves actually come in handy for warmth! 

I am looking for some direction. I'm hoping there are some fellow Minnesotans on the forum here and would love some insight on charities that you might work with on the crochet front. I am searching posts on the forum, as well as Googleing 'Minnesota, Crochet, & Charity'.  But I'm coming up short, and the places I have found really need baby socks and hats and afghans. I love the scarves, I want to stick with it until I venture onto harder items.

Can anybody help me out?  Any groups that get together in the Rochester, MN area?

Thank you all for reading this!  I hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Concobar

you may look into a local  church's homeless outreach,where they accept hats scarves gloves/mittens for the homeless

I do this locally,cause I know postage is a determining factor,especially since now its charged by distance and not just weight.

Are there any homeless shelters in the area?  If you're having trouble finding one go talk to individuals who work at a food bank - they often know of places that need donations.  Or try nursing homes, they may welcome the scarfs as gifts for residents who have no family. 

I would look in the phone book or online for local social service agencies and contact them individually to see what their needs are.    You could look under United Way agencies.  In the phone book look under Social Services.  

Most areas have some kind of Christmas charitable program whereby families in need can get warm hats/scarves, and Christmas gifts for kids; your scarves would be perfect for this.  The local branch of the state family services agency may be involved, so you could contact them.  Christmas giving programs often get started in OCtober so now is a great time to gather info.    

well all I can add, are whats already mentioned, nursing homes, shelters, salvation army in your area, vets homes are a good charity, hospices, and local eldery day care centers, where they come for activities such as bingo, and crafts, and would love scarves for bingo priZes, etc.....all good ideas, I never have enough scarves to go around! lol

Archived