What would you do?

iCrochetEweCan2

Question

Hi everyone. I've been crocheting for a while but have only been designing patterns for about 6 months. I try to come up with designs that are unique and different but I've come up against a dilemma with my latest design. I designed a cap several months ago using a particular stitch, but put it aside because I was having problems with the sizing. I've been working on it again for the past week and just got the pattern all written up and was getting ready to send it to my testers when by chance I came across a pattern that was just released that is almost the exact same as mine. Now I'm concerned that someone may think I've copied her design, when in fact I designed the hat months ago. There are some obvious differences between the two hats, but they both use the same stitch and they both have a visor. Should I try to change mine? Release it anyways? Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

TIA!

Janaya

6 answers to this question

I'm glad you asked this question. Individual stitches have been in existence for a long time and hats with visors is a style, so if your pattern has something "different" then I guess your OK. I think we all deal with the ethics. Good luck, keep working on your craft. You'll do well.

Release your pattern.   I've seen very basic hats done up in DC that people say is their original design.  The only difference might be tying a bow, or putting a flower on it, or making it in stripes etc.  But it is still your basic everyday, beginner hat pattern.  Putting a flower on it doesn't make it your design.  Because your pattern has obvious differences, although using the same stitch, it is your pattern.

Archived