Mary Card Pattern Finished

fran

Finally finished. Had to redo it because after the first one didn't look right I realized the designer was Australian and the pattern was written with the British terms. The second one looks much better. It is the DAR emblem. The design is a spinning wheel with the staff of wool through the center. The stars represent the 13 original states. The pattern is from a 1924 Needlecraft magazine. It's done in Cebelia #30 with a size 13 steel hook.

post-529-0-54697900-1377815353_thumb.jpg

Fran, that is beautiful! I never knew there was a DAR doily, my aunts and Mom were quite active years ago.

Are you a member? I should join, I suppose, I'm in Mayflower Society, but never did join DAR

It's a fairly large centerpiece, at about 26". I am a member since May, after almost a year of research and waiting. It's a very worthwhile group. PM me if I can help with any information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fran, 

Beautiful work!  I am about to finish a similar pattern. It also comes from a Needlecraft magazine but there is an ad with a date of 1928 in the pattern. (I only have the copied pages rather than the magazine) It doesn't appear to have the last few decorative rounds that yours does and there seem to be a lot of "mistakes" (perhaps my misinterpretations) in the pattern writing. After starting it several times with different size threads and hooks I settled on the 70 thread with the 13 hook and just creatively interpreted the sections of the pattern that did not make sense to me.  I would love to compare notes with you my email is tammyar.mansfield@gmail.com.

Regards,

Tammy

• 8 months later...

Archived