Sign in to follow this  
Tampa Doll

C’ville September 2013 Tote

Another yummy bag! I should read your posts after eating because now I'm even more hungry, lol. I'm craving a blueberry pie a la mode. September for me meant getting to go to school and not bring crammed in a two-bedroom house with two parents and five siblings. I loved them, but it was too tight. Then there was the fun of orchestra, drama, choir, and great friends and teachers. We didn't do much as we were a big family, but for a few years, we went to Mexico for Christmas. I knew September was just three months away from seeing my grandparents and family.... and sliding on frozen cement.

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to the future recipient.

Alacajun, I'm truly sorry for your loss. :hug

Love that pretty bag, Is it time for another already?? Where has the summer gone?

Oh September, and thank you Craftlady for reminding me.... I remember all the kids in the neighborhood worked at the local neighborhood orchard, picking "drops". That's those apples that fall on the ground, hopefully when you reached for one it had only fallen recently so it was still firm and not a handful of mush.. yuck! We earned a whole nickel a bushel!! Our goal every afternoon was to pick like crazy and try to earn a dollar before suppertime, that meant filling 20 baskets, that's a lot of bending and crawling thru knee high grass (we were all afraid of snakes, so we'd all sing, scream, stomp our feet and then wait 5 minutes before we'd start a new tree, we'd usually send someone ahead to do this while the rest of us loaded up the trailer with the remaining bushels).

When we were in school, our Moms all worked a few hours in the mornings, sorting the apples we'd picked the day before, Mom got a dollar an hour and all the apples she wanted. We got a nickel a bushel and never wanted to see another apple... ever! ... lol! Lucky for us, my Mom loved to make pies, so she made and froze enough apple pies to last all winter, they were yummy!

The big local Fair, back then called the Eastern States Exposition, is held in September, is always the highlight of this month... We'd have all that apple picking money, wow, at least ten dollars to spend!! We never spent it all, tho, funny how when you had to work really hard to earn your money, you became very frugal when spending it. As 4-H members, we always got in free on opening day. It's still a fun day and we go every year.

Nice memories... and thank you MaryJo, for surprising someone every month with a great tote, that is so nice of you!

Berry beautiful ...as they all are..

I think I speak for all the tote recipients here when I say ---although they are all beautiful, none will have the same meaning as when you receive the surprise !!!

September meant traveling upstate NY to go apple picking at a beautiful family run farm that was around since the civil war. It then became a yearly tradition going to this same farm and picking apples ...bushels of apples. We shared with everyone we knew. The ride home was filled with the smell of fresh apples coming from the trunk. Just a few days ago i remembered this and realized the apples were always ready mid September,,,,,makes me want to travel to New York.

pick me up on the way up there okay? I miss my home state,and I'd like a  McIntosh apple the size they are in state,not something a little bigger than a darn golf ball

Oh how I do agree with you pineknott, but with me it is Jersey Tomatoes.  Our tomatoes down here are missing something, oh yeah taste!

I forgot to tell you about the pocket.  The hook is dark blue for blueberries and the writing is a color called raspberries by America's Best.

Thank you all for the compliments, I do have fun putting these together.

Swedish blueberries and strawberries for me. They have soooo much taste compared to British ones. Plus I loved scouting about in the countryside looking for Smultron which, I believe the translation wild strawberries (tiny wild strawberries).

Very Pretty, Love blackberries, I made jelly this year with mine.  My mom has tame berries thornless.  Not as good as the wild ones, but there still good to eat.  As for school supplies, I think the teacher are getting rediculous with the lists.  Now my boys have to have scientific calculators that cost $15 a piece.  I found out from my sister that works in the kitchen at the school that they really don't need them.  As for most of the supplies on the list.  They use about half of what they put on the list.  I'm on a budget and cant afford to do that.  

''

September, what a month, it includes the first day of school, in the North, Labor Day and lots and lots of berries.

We use to go to my Aunt and Uncle’s house in Browns Mills, NJ at least one weekend in September to go berry picking.  We would get blueberries and blackberries and if we were lucky, we would find raspberries.  Then it was back to the house to have cereal with berries and my Mom would get the rest ready for pies.  Oh how I loved her berry pies, my Aunt would make the crust, but my Mom would prepare the berries and crumb topping.

The last holiday of the season is Labor Day.  In New Jersey, it meant an end to the summer season down the shore.  As a teenager, we would have to reserve our rooms early in the summer, to make sure we had one for that weekend.  As an adult it meant that a 15 minute trip from Philadelphia (where I worked) into an hour trip over the bridge, due to everyone going down the shore.

First day of school was exciting.  New cloths, new notebooks, paper and pencils, and Oh and lets not forget the ruler.  It was easy for us with school supplies, as long as you had, paper, pens, pencils and notebooks.  We did not have the elaborate list they have now.  I remember sometimes getting a notebook with a zipper, so our papers would not fall out.

So with all this in mind I am calling this tote Basket of Berries.  This tote is made with Sugar N Cream Americana, handles sides and outlines are Peaches N Cream Beige.  The pocket is Ecru, Blue and Burgundy all Aunt Lydia. 

I do hope you like tote #90, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

More Pictures

·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸LOVE IT!¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸   

That is so pretty!!!!   :heart it

Thought I would give you guys a break and post a picture of the tote that went out.

It left my house singing "I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane".  Last I heard it was on it's way to Miami Int'l Airport. :devil  Maybe.

post-105-0-57485700-1377964810_thumb.jpg

Love the colors of this bag but as is often said by other bag ladies, none are as beautiful as mine.  Of course now the song "leaving on a jet plane" is playing in my head.  LOL.  MaryJo you are an angel for doing this, 90 bags and some very happy bag ladies.  Can't wait to welcome the newest bag lady. 

Ohhh I think I know where it's heading based on that little fun fact! :lol

ETA: Mary Jo- I'm going to have Jersey Tomatoes today--and agree with you- they are the BEST!!!!

Edited by imanurse55
  • Like 1

It is 4406 miles or 7091 kilometers. From Tampa to this place or 8 hours and 15 minutes as the crow flies.  Oh yeah and it is North East of me.

Yum on the Jersey's, have one or two for me.  They make the best BLT's around.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Well I still don't know to whom it's going, but I'm surprised to discover from one website site I found that there are 14 states with more chickens than people! Not mine, though.

Edited by Granny Square

Gorgeous tote, Mary Jo!!!

Well, about the clues, I know where it's going (geographically)!!! Can't wait to see who the luck person is!