Why does my yarn always look fuzzy?!

edempste

Question

I just don't understand why I see so many projects by people that don't look fuzzy at all but mine always look so bad even just while I'm making them because they get so fuzzy. The only kind I've gotten that looked nice was 100% cotton, Sugar n cream, but I can't make baby items with that! I have Caron Simply Soft, Patons Beehive Baby Sport, Bernat Baby Jacquards, etc. Is it because they are mostly acrylic? If there a good material, worsted weight or lighter, that I can use for a nice blanket? I made an amazing blanket with the pipsqueak blanket but I want to make things besides blankets so I can't use that material.

What are some suggestions for maybe something like an heirloom baby blanket? 

Help!! Thanks in advance!

11 answers to this question

welcome to the ville! :hook

My personal experience with Caron Simply Soft is that it looks worn very quickly, just because it is so soft it loses its integrity very quickly.  I think the Bernat baby yarns are the same way.   I don't think these yarns become fuzzy just because they are acrylic.  There are certainly acrylics that wear better in my opinion.  

There are all kinds of yarns you could use instead.  While I wouldn't use Sugar & Cream for a baby blanket as it would be very heavy, there are cotton yarns you could use.  the Hobby Lobby yarn I Love This Cotton is very soft, although it is fairly fuzzy too, so you might not like it.

Berroco Comfort is an acrylic-nylon blend that I think feels very cottony, it is machine wash and dry and comes in worstd and DK weights and wide range of colors.  Also you might look for a cotton-acrylic blend or wool-acrylic.  

For an heirloom, I would consider linen.  it is very drapy and very sturdy and it can be machine washed and dried.  It can be pricey but for a heirloom I think it would be worth it.  

I don't think baby powder would help; and I'd think it would just make your work dirty (I'm sort of OCD about keeping my hands clean while crocheting, no hand cream, eating etc.).  Yarn gets fuzzy with wear, the more the fabric rubs against itself, you, the couch whatever, the fuzzier it gets.

The yarn can go fuzzy from overworking it, so if you crochet some, and rip it out too many times, it can wreck yarn.

Oh yes, Real Deal.  That has been my experience as well.  I mess up and/or change my mind a lot, lol.  Whenever I frequently undo my work, the yarn gets fuzzier, faster.

But what about once you're finished?  Is there some way to help keep the project fuzz free?  I very rarely use my purse/pouch.  It hangs from a coat rack more than anything.  I've yet to have to wash it.  I'm almost afraid to.  It already has a lot of fuzz balls.  I usually pinch them off.

I've also been working on a poncho for months now and the bottom of it is already fuzzing a bit.  It's starting to discourage me from making anything if it's not going to last.

Almost everything I've ever made was with Red Heart Super Saver.

I'm using a softer yarn for a scarf for my hubby:  Red Heart With Love and I'm very worried about that.  Do the softer yarns break up quicker?

Edited by Zhaylin

You're using yarns that fuzz.  Simply Soft is KNOWN for it.

Have you tried Caron Natura/Pounder or even Red Heart Super Saver? 

I used Red Heart Super Soft and it was great to work with and didn't fuzz.  I was a little surprised.

Agreed that Simply Soft gets fuzzy - feels good to work with but gets fuzzy!

I just did a Christening Layette in Berroco Comfort Baby - and though it isn't bargain priced it really does keep it's integrity - no fuzzing - even after washing!

As far as Red Heart goes the only one so far that has not fuzzed for me is Red Heart with Love - it is soft to work with too.

I love all the Hobby Lobby ILTY products and have not found them to fuzz at all.

My Premier Serenity Chunky yarn was fuzzing up from frogging too much. To the point that you could not make out any stitch detail. I added a strand of RedHeartSuperSaverMETALLIC and it is AMAZING how defined my stitches and rows are. Label size 4 but its so slim. My work now actually looks much smaller, compact.

surprised me.

It does have glitter in it so it may not be everyone's cup of tea.