My bag for crocheting on the train

Cuddlefish

I commute a lot, and my favourite pastime on the train is crocheting, of course. I always juggle with the hook and balls of yarn and scissors out of a plastic bag, so I decided to make something else that would fit a travel-size crochet project inside.

I wanted to experiment with loop stitches that could be cut open. So I crocheted with two threads; one to make normal stitches, and one to form a loop from on the same stitch. I don't know if it has a name, as far as I'm concerned, I made it up myself. After finishing it I cut all the loops open, and got this carpet effect.

Anyway, I dug around in my stash and thought that this would be a good way to get rid of myriads of little red leftovers. Because of the cut loops, the top thread can be very, very short. Threads down to a few cms can make a loop. I love using everything, yarnwise I'm like the eskimo's that eat every horrible bit of the dead seal, nothing must go to waste! :lol

Anyway, this is the finished bag.

purse13ul.jpg

I wasn't too happy with the top, so I made an alternative way to close it:

purse21kv.jpg

Because of all the different red nuances, the inside gets a nice changing colour effect:

purse56ll.jpg

Here it is open: purse46ea.jpg

If you're wondering about the bottom, here it is: purse33pr.jpg

And finally, as a bonus, here's my boyfriend demonstrating an alternative use: :manyheart

purse64ir.jpg

:lol :lol

:rofl :rofl :rofl Even though they are funny, I swear men have no logic at all.:rofl :rofl :rofl

I like the bag and I really like your alternative top. It looks nice and compact, instead of the large bag I carry.:hook

A travel sized crochet bag is an awesome idea! The shagginess makes it really cute too. And may I say your bf rox for that pic!

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I'm going to have to figure out how to do that! And I used to love crocheting on the train too.... and always had my plastic grocery bag with me to hold my projects. I became known as the bag lady.

You did a great job!

I love that bag! Please post the pattern! I would love to make one to for my travel size crochet projects. I too, use a plastic grocery bag to take back and forth to work. This would be so much classier.

Kudos to the bf for modeling. What a hoot!

I'm so glad you like it. Thank you. :dance:ty:ghug

I improvised it, but it's really just a bottom where I mostly added stitches on two sides to make it ovalish instead of round, a side that goes straight up except from the four top rows, I took in two stitches in each side before making the flap, and then a flap. The loop stitch is the only tricky part. You have to make sure to only loop one of the two threads, or the bag may fall apart when you cut them open. The loop takes a while to make, because you have to separate the two threads, I usually used the ringfinger on my right hand; I would stick it inbetween the two threads and pull out a loop of one of them and hold it down, before pulling both threads through the next stitch. But it only took a couple of days to make, the stitch is easy when you've done a few. :)

And yeah, my boyfriend's the best. :D:manyheart

Archived