Scrap Afghan Colors

TeriMcc

Question

I've been wanting to make a scrap afghan and have seen some very pretty ones.  Has anyone made a scrap afghan where they just grabbed balls of yarn out of a bag and crocheted with what ever color comes up?  If so, did you only put certain colors of yarn in the bag or did you just put in everything you had?  All of my yarn is Red Heart Super Saver.  I have a very hard time coordinating colors and any help would be appreciated.

Teri

1 answer to this question

My mum used to make these incredible ripple afghans from completely random coloured and sized stripes. She would put all the scrap yarn she had of the right weight into a huge bag and just grab a random ball, do a few rows (or even just one, depending on how big the ball was) then grab another random ball and so on. The only time she would make any decisions herself is if she grabbed the same colour twice in a row. My gran was actually jealous of my mum's ability to do this. She tried to do an afghan using the same method but could never get over the niggling feeling that there should be some order to it, despite the fact that she loved the results of my mum's method.

My mum also made a couple of classic granny square afghans in the same sort of way, just pure random colour choices. One she joined and edged with black, one with cream. They were both beautiful I thought.

It sort of depends on your tastes really.

Archived