counting stitches

ketu

Question

I'm making seamless baby booties. When I count the stitches in a round sometimes I don't have the correct number. I suspect that the slip stitch joins are the culprits. Is a slip stitch ( used for joining ) to be worked as the last stitch in a round or should it be discounted?

5 answers to this question

Most pattern instructions will note whether to count the sl st as a st or not. Most, not all.

I do not count a sl st as a st unless otherwise stated.

To keep an accurate coun of stitches, you could use a stitch marker in either the first stitch of each round, or the last st of each round, moving it up on each round completed.

If not specified in the pattern, AND your stitch count is plus/minus 1 - that is your answer

One stitch short, count the Slip Stitch

One stitch too many, do not count the slip stitch (and take care not to work into it in the next round)

HTH

I'm making seamless baby booties. When I count the stitches in a round sometimes I don't have the correct number. I suspect that the slip stitch joins are the culprits. Is a slip stitch ( used for joining ) to be worked as the last stitch in a round or should it be discounted?

The CH3 or whatever is used at the start of the row is on top of the stitch you worked the SL ST into so you do not need to work into it at the end of the row.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived