What does it mean?

Finnbar

Question

Greetings all!

I am doing a pattern from a pattern book called "Sweet Baby Crochet" by Craftside.  I am working the pattern called Baby Sweater and Hat.  I think this an Australian pattern because the sizing appears to be Australian.  My problem is coming after I do the body of the sweater.  The next part of the pattern says "Divide for Sleeves and Body. 

In the section for crocheting the sweater, after Row 13 is a section called "Divide for Sleeves and Body" with two rows of pattern. I don't understand what this means. Am I to add these two rows to either side of the pattern where the sleeves begin or ??  I don't know if I'm having a problem with the terminology or translation (for lack of a better word) or more likely, that I'm just an idiot.  Either way, I sure would appreciate any help. 

Thanks,

Kat

Following is an except from the pattern

SWEATER

Starting at neck edge, with MC, ch 58,

Row 1: 1 dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 dc), 1 dc in each of next 7 ch (right front section), V-st in next ch (inc made), 1 dc in each of next 9  ch (right sleeve section), V-st in next ch, 1 dc in each of the next 16 ch (back section), V-st in next ch, 1 dc in each of next 9 ch (left sleeve section), V-st in next oh, 1 dc in each of last 9  ch (left front section), turn.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as a dc, now and throughout), sk first do,*1 do in each dc to next V-st, V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st. rep from 3 times, 1 do in each dc to end, 1 do in top of turning ch, turn.

Rows 3-13 : Rep row 3, inc 8 sts in every row.

DIVIDE FOR SLEEVES AND BODY

Row 1: Ch 3, sk first dc, do on each of next 21 sts of left front, ch 2, sk next 35  dc of left sleeve, do in each of next 42 dc of back, ch 2, sk next 35  dc of right sleeve, dc in each of last 21  dc of right front, 1 dc in top of turning ch, turn (86 do).

Row 2: Ch 3, sk first do, 1 dc in each of next 21  sts, 1 dc in each of next 2 ch sts at underarm, 1 dc in each of the next 42  dc, 1 dc in each of next 2 ch sts at underarm, 1 dc in each of the last 21  dc, 1 do in top of turning ch, turn (90  do). Fasten off.

Next section gives pattern instructions for doing the sleeves, which clearly states to make two.

4 answers to this question

Row 1 described which part of the cardigan was the front, sleeve, back, sleeve, other front.

Up to now you've been making the yoke.  At the end of the yoke you should have 150 stitches (more or less, I'm assuming that each round adds 8 stitches but let's just pretend that's the right number for now)

The part where you skip 35 stitches, twice, creates 2 loops, or folds,  of unworked fabric, and causes the front and backs to join under the arms.  These 2 loops/folds are the arm holes.

On the next row, you continue working on the rest of the (more or less 80) stitches (150 minus 35 minus 35)) and ignore the 2 loops formed by the skipped stitches (for now).  These 80-ish stitches are the fronts and back, in other words the body of the sweater.

I think it will make more sense when you actually DO it, it will start to look like a sleeveless vest.

I agree with Granny Square.

I have been crocheting for over fifty years and writing patterns for about ten years, but sometimes, with a pattern that I didn't write, I just have to go ahead and follow the instructions, because I just can't visualise it.

Thanks everyone for the help.  When you explained it Granny Square I understood.  I was getting hung up on the word "divide" and took it literally as in "to separate".  This thought was reinforced when the pattern rows started again as Row 1 & Row 2 instead of continuing on as Row 14 and 15.

Thanks again everyone;  I really appreciate the help.

Best,

Kat

Archived