Pittsburgh bridge yarn bombing

marpan79

So, as a member of the core group of Knit the Bridge (part of the Pittsburgh Fiber Art Guild) I feel it's my duty to share with you that we just yarn bombed the Andy Warhol Bridge in Pittsburgh (aka - 7th Street Bridge).  We've been planning this since last March (2012!).  I personally  met the group in October 2012 and immediately joined up with them full force and became an integral member.  We've had a gallery space from June 1st until the install, which just occurred this past weekend, where we did all prepping, organizing, and planning.  This is the largest of it's kind and we've already made national news.  Working with the county to make this happen was not easy on our leaders, but definitely all worth it.  It was originally thought up by Amanda Gross, now 29 years old, to help bring the community together in the city of bridges....and of course it's only fitting to use the Andy Warhol bridge :D

So we worked on the bridge Saturday 6am-9pm and Sunday 6am-10pm.  We asked our 'worker bees' to sign up for 3 hour shifts, but those of us in the core group were pretty much there all day both days.  Once you got going and into the groove, you just didn't want to leave and the energy was amazing!  We had over 1800 contributors/donators for the project.  Over 250 volunteers to help with the install, including the riggers to put up our tower pieces (which ended up not measuring correctly after the county officials came by Saturday morning and said they needed extra reinforcements that were not planned for, but still looks great, just a bit wonky up there :lol )  We got an overwhelmingly great response for the project although there are always some people against everything and just don't get it, however, they seem to be far and few between. 

We plan to de-install on the weekend of Sept 7th and 8th, so it will be up for 4 weeks!  When they come down, everything will be laundered and pending it's condition after cleaning, will be donated to local shelters, hospitals, and animal hospitals.

There is a party ON the bridge on Auguest 25th 3-7pm (the bridge will be closed) and everyone is welcome to attend, so if you're in the area, be sure to stop on by.

Some of us went on the river cruise last night to check it out from the water and I got some pics there that I will share after I finish typing here.  I did not take any while we were working, but many people did.  There's a slew up on FB (search Knit the Bridge, to find their page and see more....or feel free to friend me there, I'm findable :lol  Marisa Pancheri and my picture is a motorcycle )

I saw that yesterday and thought it was so cool.  Hey it sure made it look pretty and gave the drivers something to see.

You all did a great job, Congrats on the yarn bomb.

Wow! That's amazing and congrats on a job well done to bring your community together. The bridge took on a whole new character. Thanks for sharing.

I love it ALL!   what a fun great thing to do.   absolutely beautiful.    Saskatoon is near me and known for the City of Bridges.   They are just building a new one.   I wonder if anyone will get any ideas to yarn bomb it.  lol   what an undertaking.    You are all great who made this happen. 

oh my what a waste of yarn.  I hope it's not going to be left like that as in a few months it's going to look horrendous and some poor city official will have to clean it up again.

And as for 'giving drivers something to look at' what an irresponsible thing to do.  On a bridge all those distracted drivers equals.......

oh dear someone's run into another driver.

I really do no get the idiots who take part and praise this kind of vandalism.

oh my what a waste of yarn.  I hope it's not going to be left like that as in a few months it's going to look horrendous and some poor city official will have to clean it up again.

And as for 'giving drivers something to look at' what an irresponsible thing to do.  On a bridge all those distracted drivers equals.......

^^Um...what?  Was that supposed to be in "sarcasm" font or are your serious?

Its not vandalism if the city helped organize it!

It is wonderful! I have yet to make it down to see everyone's work displayed - as well as my own two panels!
I can't wait to go to the party!
It should be so much fun to be with so many crocheters and knitters as well as all the appreciative folks who support fiber artistry!

BTW - my son-in-laws office at Alcoa Inc - looks directly out at the bridge!

It was a priveledge and much fun to be a part of this and meet so many sweet fellow fiber artists!

That is so amazing!  That was a lot of contributors too.  Were they all local?

We were able to get almost every city/township in Pittsburgh and Allegheny counted represented.  There were also contributors from out of state and even out of the country!

Everyone has their opinion and you're certainly entitled to yours.  However, we worked very closely with the city, lawyers, engineers,etc.  Everything was pre-tested, measured, calculated, etc.  As for the drivers, you can't really see it from the inside where the roadways are, you really need to walk along the sidewalk portion to be able to see the art.

Only acryllic was used due to its durability to weather conditions and that it does not absorb much water (for when it rains).  The installation will remain in place for 1 month and we are patrolling and monitoring it daily to check for vandalism to the pieces or anything that needs to be fixed as per our contract with the county.  When we de-install after the 4 weeks, everything is being laundered and pending their condition at that point is being donated to local shelters, hospitals, animal hospitals, etc.

It is wonderful! I have yet to make it down to see everyone's work displayed - as well as my own two panels!

I can't wait to go to the party!

It should be so much fun to be with so many crocheters and knitters as well as all the appreciative folks who support fiber artistry!

BTW - my son-in-laws office at Alcoa Inc - looks directly out at the bridge!

It was a priveledge and much fun to be a part of this and meet so many sweet fellow fiber artists!

Thanks for your contributions Shuttlebuggy....I hope you get my link to find your pieces before you head down to check it out.  If you're there today or tomorrow, I'll be patrolled after the Pirates games let out along with some other helpers.

Marisa - thank you for the link!

It looks like both my paneks made the bridge.

One outside upriver & one outside downriver ;)

I hope to get dowtown next week.

Looks great! I wish I were still in PGH so I could go see it. Fine time for me to be out of the area. LOL My sister said she saw it though she does not really care for yarn bombing. I think this one is pretty darned awesome though, and I love that you all will be donating the pieces once they come down. 

You are entitled to your opinion, however this is not vandalism. The city was very involved and supportive of this - it's not as if it were an overnight spray paint all over with nobody knowing you're doing it thing. More than that, though, it really is not necessary to be rude toward those who participated/enjoy this kind of activity. You don't have to like it or agree with what it's about, but there's no need to be rude. 

(edited to fix a couple typos.) 

Marisa - thank you for the link!

It looks like both my paneks made the bridge.

One outside upriver & one outside downriver ;)

I hope to get dowtown next week.

You're very welcome! :)

Looks great! I wish I were still in PGH so I could go see it. Fine time for me to be out of the area. LOL My sister said she saw it though she does not really care for yarn bombing. I think this one is pretty darned awesome though, and I love that you all will be donating the pieces once they come down. 

Thanks a bunch....it was really fun to do and I can't believe it comes down in a week and a half already.  Boy, time sure does fly.

I'm on 'stroll and patrol' this week in the evenings just to check it out and make sure nothing needs to be fixed/mended.  We have people checking on it 3 times a day!

Archived