Why are my granny squares looking a bit round?!

Dreamingintx

Question

Maybe somebody might be able to help me!

Despite hanging around here for years I still think of myself as a beginner when it comes to crochet. I'm trying to stitch a really simple granny square and as far as I know I'm following the pattern correctly but unless I tug the finished piece into a square it looks kind of round!

Is there anything obvious that you can think of that I'm doing wrong? X

12 answers to this question

Traditional granny squares have a cluster of 3 DC's, ch 2, 3 DC's in each corner.  If you are making a square that is more of a solicd pattern consisting of mostly DC's, then you might have to make 3 DC's in each corner.  A copy of the pattern might give us more insight as what your problem is and try to help you solve it.

3 chains in the corner is how I learned when I was shown how to make them back in the Dark Ages (no pattern), with 1 chain in between on the sides.  Some patterns call out fewer chains.

It might depend a little on how you form your stitches, some lift up the yarn more and make looser, taller stitches and others yank the yarn tighter and make shorter stitches that are probably a little bulkier at the bottom (like me).  If you are a 'yanker' you might be more likely to need 3 stitches in the corner, 'lifters' might be able to get away with 2.  See below blog post...

http://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Well.......there you go. I don't do any chains between the side groups and 2ch between the 2 corner clusters.

I don't think it matters how many chain (or none) for the side groups as long as you have a relatively larger amount in the corners.

Edited by FlossiePotts
  • Like 1

Well.......there you go. I don't do any chains between the side groups and 2ch between the 2 corner clusters.

I don't think it matters how many chain (or none) for the side groups as long as you have a relatively larger amount in the corners.

I also don't do any chains between the side DC groups, and only 2 chains between the corner groups.  This way when you attach the squares together you don't end up with a "holey" blanket and it is much warmer. 

I think this is the key really.

I do a few different versions of the granny square depending on how dense I want the result. I tend to work along these principles: http://crochet.about.com/od/learntocrochet/ss/Granny_Square_Comparisons.htm As you can see, the ones with the smaller number of chains at the corners have a rather rounded look.

Edited by MysterySister

I can’t make a granny square for anything! It’s about to drive me nuts. I keep tearing it all out and starting over because it’s always round and bows up in the middle. I’m about to pull my hair out! Please help somebody...anybody?

When you makes something in the round, from the center out, whether actually a circle or a squared off circle (which is what a Granny Square is), you are subject to the laws of plane geometry for a circle.  There is a very specific ratio between the circumference and the diameter, if you don't get the ratio right you'll either going to get cupping (bubble like you have) or ruffling.

Cupping=too much diameter for the circumference.  The cure is less diameter (shorter stitches) or greater circumference (more stitches).  The easiest fix is to add more chains between the granny 'shells'.  If you read the discussion above, everyone has a different favorite Granny Square 'chain recipe' which fits their stitch height tension.  You will probably need to do some experimenting to get a combination that works for you; if your corners look OK, try adding 1 chain between the granny shells along the sides.

Edited by Granny Square