Dreamingintx

Why are my granny squares looking a bit round?!

11 posts in this topic

Maybe somebody might be able to help me!

Despite hanging around here for years I still think of myself as a beginner when it comes to crochet. I'm trying to stitch a really simple granny square and as far as I know I'm following the pattern correctly but unless I tug the finished piece into a square it looks kind of round!

Is there anything obvious that you can think of that I'm doing wrong? X

can you post a photo of your square?

and what pattern are you using?  seeing the pattern would also help diagnose the problem.  

1 person likes this

Often if it rounds too much, it needs more chains in the corners.

Traditional granny squares have a cluster of 3 DC's, ch 2, 3 DC's in each corner.  If you are making a square that is more of a solicd pattern consisting of mostly DC's, then you might have to make 3 DC's in each corner.  A copy of the pattern might give us more insight as what your problem is and try to help you solve it.

I agree about probably needing 3 chains in the corner....

3 chains in the corner is how I learned when I was shown how to make them back in the Dark Ages (no pattern), with 1 chain in between on the sides.  Some patterns call out fewer chains.

It might depend a little on how you form your stitches, some lift up the yarn more and make looser, taller stitches and others yank the yarn tighter and make shorter stitches that are probably a little bulkier at the bottom (like me).  If you are a 'yanker' you might be more likely to need 3 stitches in the corner, 'lifters' might be able to get away with 2.  See below blog post...

http://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Well.......there you go. I don't do any chains between the side groups and 2ch between the 2 corner clusters.

I don't think it matters how many chain (or none) for the side groups as long as you have a relatively larger amount in the corners.

Edited by FlossiePotts
1 person likes this

Hi all, thank you so much. It was the corners that needed some work and double the number of stitches they were getting! My blanket is in progress lol :)

1 person likes this

Well.......there you go. I don't do any chains between the side groups and 2ch between the 2 corner clusters.

I don't think it matters how many chain (or none) for the side groups as long as you have a relatively larger amount in the corners.

I also don't do any chains between the side DC groups, and only 2 chains between the corner groups.  This way when you attach the squares together you don't end up with a "holey" blanket and it is much warmer. 

I think this is the key really.

I do a few different versions of the granny square depending on how dense I want the result. I tend to work along these principles: http://crochet.about.com/od/learntocrochet/ss/Granny_Square_Comparisons.htm As you can see, the ones with the smaller number of chains at the corners have a rather rounded look.

Edited by MysterySister

Thank you all. I think I've got it now my corners have more chains in them. It was definitely the lack of them pulling my squares out of shape X