Unconventional and/or recycled materials used for crochet

I've made a couple of plastic bag strip shopping totes! Walmart blue bags and Farm and Fleet orange! I haven't done them for awhile, but I could again, I don't know anywhere I can recycle my plastic grocery bags, so I have many many many out in the garage.

I've also taken some kevlar core fishing line to reinforce a multi-strand tote I made that didn't have a whole lot of shape to it. I thought it worked great!

• 2 weeks later...

Plastic bags are one of my fave things to crochet with...... here are some pics of some stuff I have made with them...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/CrazeeMoi/Cro%20Plastic%20Bags/

I kept seeing some neon orange tape looking stuff wrapped arnd posts, trees and kept wondering....what is that?? Finally saw some at Lowes last week. Flagging tape!! Sooooooo, I had to buy one roll of neon pink (1 inch x 100 ft) Love to add new colors to my plastic yarn. LOL

I once made a handbag out of 10lb fishing line. When I first thought of it, I had thought it would come out almost translucent but, alas, did not. It wasn't that hard to work with although when finished I did line it. I gave it away before taking a picture. I will crochet again with fishing line as I did like the end results.

I tried heavier line but none was as pliable as 10 lb. test.

• 3 weeks later...

You know those shower puffs made out of plastic netting that everyone has hanging in their bathrooms? Well when they begin to get a bit worn out, cut them into strips and crochet a small shape- round, square whatever....they are good pot scrubbers. I am really impressed by the plastic bag crocheting, I am going to begin collecting interesting colored plastic bags:D That is a fantastic way to re-cycle! what a great school project that could be!

• 2 months later...

I've worked in raffia. You can make really pretty purses and summer hats with it.

I've heard of people who spin the hair from their longhaired cats and dogs, also goatshair. . .which can also be felted. But don't hold me on that. We have Australian Shepherds which have truly beautiful spotted brown coats but I wouldn't know the first thing about spinning their sheddings! But I thought it was certainly an interesting notion.

I have used jute twine, plastic bags, ribbon, raffia, mesh bags that fruit comes in (this makes great scrubbies), wire, fabric strips, and that's all I can think of at the moment....I love being able to reuse something. :hook

Archived