Unconventional and/or recycled materials used for crochet

I like experimenting with different materials. So far I have not really found one that I would want to use (other than yarn and thread, of course).

Leather lace was intrigueing (sp?), but I did not have enogh of it.

My question is: what unconventional materials have you used in your crochet.

(of course, would love to see pictures, too)

What a great topic! I've been looking for ideas as well. I've tried leather cord, but I only had enough to make a scrunchie. I've seen wire a lot and have some in my beading supplies, but havent gotten a chance to use it yet. I've done hemp kitty toys, but hemp comes in smaller amounts too.

Right now I'm looking for things to make larger projects with. Jute twine or any sort of twine works great for baskets and tough totes. I'm trying recycled plastic bag yarn today :)

This isn't a material I used myself, but I was watching an episode of Knitty Gritty today. It was the episode where the lady teaches you about spinning. She actually had a finished purse on there made with yarn that was spun from dog hair!

It was so odd. To think that the hair most people spend hours and hours cleaning up after in their houses......was used to make a pretty purse!

My aunt is a spinner and used to raise angoras. When she came to visit she ignored my cat the whole time, but patted him on the head on the way out. She actually did a double take and eyed the cat in an almost hungry manner...lol. She said she'd make some kitty yarn if I gave her a bag of hair. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. I have a very soft longhair kitty though...so I guess it would depend on the animal. It's no more weird than using bunny fuzz I guess :)

This isn't a material I used myself, but I was watching an episode of Knitty Gritty today. It was the episode where the lady teaches you about spinning. She actually had a finished purse on there made with yarn that was spun from dog hair!

It was so odd. To think that the hair most people spend hours and hours cleaning up after in their houses......was used to make a pretty purse!

Of course you can use fabric strips, but the other day I read about using polar fleece strips...that would be chunky.

Imagine how nice and warm that would be for an animal blanket

I decided no more throwing away damaged or stained clothes not suitable for donating. I am going to just start a rubbermaid bin in the garage that will be the holding area. I am considering crocheting a quilt out of a huge box of old concert jerseys I found in the garage when cleaning recently. I thought I might cut out the design on the front and make strips of the rest. Then when the crochet part is done I will embroider on the design squares I saved.

My other plan involves using the cloth napkins I used for my wedding. They are bright pink and orange and I have 40 or so with no other intended use. Maybe a rag rug for the kitchen.

I wish there was an easier method for cutting strips.

Also, I bought some contractor's twine at Lowes recently to make baskets with. It is spooled like kite cord and comes in bright colors as well as traditional white cotton. And the white cotton canbe dyed when finished.

My aunt is a spinner and used to raise angoras. When she came to visit she ignored my cat the whole time, but patted him on the head on the way out. She actually did a double take and eyed the cat in an almost hungry manner...lol. She said she'd make some kitty yarn if I gave her a bag of hair. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. I have a very soft longhair kitty though...so I guess it would depend on the animal. It's no more weird than using bunny fuzz I guess :)

What a neat idea!!! I take my doggies to the groomers every 3 months and I know that she would be fine with giving me the hair that she cuts off... Wouldn't it be neat to have a purse or something made from your beloved animals hair??? Now to learn how to spin... Is it hard? What's entailed? Do you need to buy expensive equipment???

I cut up an old pair of denim jeans into one loooooong continous strip and crocheted a scarf from it. It's so funky! Let me go grab a pic :)

Megan

I really would like to see a picture! What a great idea!

I edited the title of this thread, as I see a number of you have included recycled materials in your posts which is really great.:) That would have been my next question but this way we can just include them in the same thread.

:idea Let's see... I've used wire - both fine guage and heavier stuff, heavy and medium jute, twine, fabric strips, kitchen string, ribbon, and plastic grocery bags. I'm not yet a blogger and have yet to get savy with the picture thing but I'll spend some time on it soon.

:hug Mare

I've used grocery bags, hemp and wire. I wasn't thrilled with my results with the wire. My SIL uses the hemp basket for potpourri and my mother still uses the grocery bag doormats. I think I did those a few years ago. They are faded now, but are still holding up under pretty heavy use!

I also did a doormat out of baling twine -- that one didn't hold up well at all.

Craftster.org had the neatest craft challenge, asking people to make something in which you'd usually use yarn, but to use a different material instead. The entries were so creative and you can see it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=200.0

My favorite was the Mardi Gras bead scarf.

For cutting fabrics, Knitting Warehouse has this fabric cutting machine. I don't know anything about it; but thought it was interesting. http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/084201.html

They also sell pre-cut fabric strips, which seems really interesting. http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/277182.html

I cut up an old pair of denim jeans into one loooooong continous strip and crocheted a scarf from it. It's so funky! Let me go grab a pic :)

Megan

I'm waiting to see the scarf you made, I have a pile of old jeans that I'm waiting for just the right thing to make with them :manyheart I love denim and want to recycle them into something fabulous!!:hook

Craftster.org had the neatest craft challenge, asking people to make something in which you'd usually use yarn, but to use a different material instead. The entries were so creative and you can see it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=200.0

Thanks for that link, I remember reading about it, but never saw the results:)

Here we go! Not the best pic, my batteries are dead, but you get the general idea :) I cut the legs of the jeans into one continuous piece, about 1/4" -1/3" wide, wound it into a ball, and went from there. It's just a simple DC, using a Q hook. Very thick and warm! I'm going to try another one, using a thin novelty yarn held with it, for a little more funk *lol*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/winstongang/denimscarf002.jpg

Megan:hook

Here we go! Not the best pic, my batteries are dead, but you get the general idea :) I cut the legs of the jeans into one continuous piece, about 1/4" -1/3" wide, wound it into a ball, and went from there. It's just a simple DC, using a Q hook. Very thick and warm! I'm going to try another one, using a thin novelty yarn held with it, for a little more funk *lol*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/winstongang/denimscarf002.jpg

Megan:hook

That is neat! I wonder how it would look if one was to alternate rows done in denim w. rows done in yarn??

Thanks for posting the picture, Megan:)

I've heard of bias tapes, wire, ribbon, twine, rope, dental floss, fishing line etc.....

At craftster they even use old VHS tape to crochet, imagine, anything that is a tape or strip can be used, depending on what you want to make :hook and depends how strange you want to be :lol

Someone mentioned polar fleece, it works up in to great, soft rugs. So do old T-shirts.

I've made mini baskets & napkin rings out of that inexpensive narrow craft ribbon. And I love going to the hardware store to see what I can find:)

Alosha

Archived