August Charity Get Together: 8/15-8/20

busy-bee-lmt

Come enjoy the fun.  With the 1st falling on Thursday this month it's almost time for this month's charity get together.  It will run from the 15th to the 20th.  

This charity is open to anyone who makes items for charity, animals as well as humans.  They can be crocheted, knitted, sewn, quilted, or whatever.  We meet for 6 days to work on our items, to talk, and to cheer each other on.  If you can only come for part of the time that's fine.  And if you want to start a bit early or go a little over, that's fine too.  And if you can't participate but would like to a cheerleader for us that's great too.   :cheer 

At the end of the time, everyone posts what they have accomplished: started, worked on, and/or finished.  It all counts.  Post your totals in big, colorful letters and on the weekend I'll compose a grand total list.  It's always amazing to see what we can accomplish together.  It reinforces the fact that all our little bits do make a difference when put together with other's little bits. 

So welcome to those who have participated before and to those who are new to this monthly CAL.  See you all next week.   :manyheart 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! It's almost upon us! I'm in again. I'll be working as always on lapghans and incidentally plugging away on my use up the One Pound stash project. I have one I'll probably be finishing in that time frame and four others just started. I'll probably pick one and see if I can get a second finished off.

My contact at the hospital told me that she was taking them to the cancer center now instead of the hospice. I let her use them wherever she wants.

Oops - I'm changing plans. I won't be working with the One Pound. I bought a couple of skeins each of JA Sensations boucle and a blue marl in the Rainbow Classic. It was on 50% off, and only later did I find out it has been discontinued. I have never used either and have no idea how far they will go, so I'll be working with that - and dashing out to grab more if (a) I need it to finish the project, or (b) decide I really, really love it. A baby blanket with the blue, and a lapghan or maybe a shawl with the boucle. So much for plans.

Havent done this is so long...........................

I'm gonna join in............. I have some charity squares to make......... and a some Chemo Caps to work on!  :hook

:heart

:mug

Welcome to the group, Tammy.

Oops!  Donna, I've had that happen to me more times than I really want to remember.  They sound like they will be pretty projects.

I'm here! I find out in 4 hours if I have jury duty tomorrow (pleeeease NO) but if I have to drive all of the way downtown in 105 degrees and sit around with odd people I will start tomorrow.

Otherwise I will be doing my usual cat stuff.  Maybe I will finally try those stockings for the troops again Cindy.

Donna, I did wonder why the Sensations was 50% off.  My Joanns was nearly wiped out.  I thought it was part of their 70th anniversary sale thing.  I have about 6 or so skeins of it that I bought when it first came out.  Of course, there it sits, so you will have to tell me what to do with it!

Hooks poised and ready to go! I'll probably start tonight after work. Since that will be almost midnight, it's close enough.

I liked the yarns and went back to JA and bought Too Much of it, but at half price, it was good opportunity. I'll probably work on some baby blankets from the bulky yarns. What fun - I've never used big fat yarns that go so fast before - LOL!

Welcome, everyone!  I have a baby afghan to finish (4 12" squares to go and then the joining and border), and several prayer shawls to finish.  I'll see how many I can finish this time and try to avoid starting any new ones until I finish a few.   :P   I work today and Saturday, but I can crochet when there are no customers in the store.  If my joints cooperate I may get a lot done.

I'm putting out some cyber treats for you to enjoy.  Iced mocha coffee and iced peach tea for beverages and fresh fruit salad to munch on.  Enjoy.   :manyheart

I did have jury duty but did not get selected as a juror. Probably because of where I work.  But I had to sit in the courtroom and let them ask me questions until nearly 4pm. I was not allowed to crochet in the courtroom. I guess judges think they are "all that" so I only got to work during lunch because I was in the very first group to get called from the assembly room.

Donna, I have some of the bulky Sensations in the varigated pastel colors, so I am anxious to see what pattern you chose and how it turns out.

Last night after work a did a couple of rows on one I had already started. I would really like to get that one finished up. It's an octagon, and I have, I would guess, maybe 5-7 more rows. It's a new pattern so I'll have to see how the outer rounds work out.

babypoohsmom - The bulky yarn I have is the one with the white and colored thread twisted together. I could only get two blue, so I started with that. I'm hoping to get a baby blanket per skein. I started with my usual round ripple, not thinking this through - they are so solid. It came out to about 30" which is a little small. So I am going to do the second one in a much more open pattern, and hope to have enough left to add another round or two to the RR. If not, I will probably frog the RR and do it again in a lacier pattern.

What I haven't quite figured out is how best to work the huge boucle skeins. From the outside? I hate working big skeins that way. From the inside? I have a feeling a boucle yarn barf would be a nightmare in spades. Wind it? Again from which way?  :think I'm thinking of starting a thread and asking how those who have used it managed the skein.

I was running late to a dental appointment before work and threw the yarn in my bag and charged out the door. On the way I realized I had left my hooks on the table. But I am Dedicated and Determined. I stopped by the nearby Michael's and bought a new hook. You can never have too many hooks anyway, right? 

I did go back to JA went through the closeout bin like a locust swarm of one, and got nearly all of the colors I thought I could use. Of the bulky, I have 2 blue/white, 6 pink/white, 6 green/white. Boucle - if I remember, 5 solid cream, and then in the self striping - 8 red, 4 darker green, 3 light green, 2 plum, 3 pink. I wish there had been more of the plum or some blue. After experimenting just a bit with it, before I went back and bought all the extra, I decided to look for patterns where a lot of the stitches go into chain loops rather that the tops of stitches. I have several I want to try that should work. Next month I may do a lapghan from the boucle to try a pattern and see how far a skein will actually go.

Yay, Cindy!   :cheer

I finished one of the 12" squares for the baby blanket yesterday and have the first prayer shawl 2/3 to 3/4 done.

It's really chilly here today, so I've got hot coffee, hot tea, and hot cocoa out for crocheting cyber beverages and cookies straight from the oven.  Help yourself to some treats.

So far, I've finished another 12" square for the baby blanket, and now I'm working on the gray prayer shawl.

Way to go, Darski!   :cheer

Archived