cotton question

richsgirl

Can't say I've seen this before in the LB cotton. You may want to email the company and talk to them about it. LB is very good about standing behind their quality. It might have been a fluke in that particular batch.

I'm crocheting with a cotton blend right now that has a few very tiny black flecks in it, but they sort of contribute to the natural look so i haven't worried too much about them. I have picked out a few that were just lying on the surface.

I asked my husband, who picked cotton by hand back in the day, about the seeds.  he said they are black and less than a quarter inch long, oval shaped.  so the flecks could be seed particles.  I would think if the cotton was not bleached the flecks would be more likely to be seen.  I really don't know much about how cotton is processed though, and with international manufacturing there is no telling where the fiber was processed or where it has journeyed on its way to us.  

I have noticed this with some Peaches & Creme and Sugar 'n Cream yarns. Only with certain colors though - the lighter more "natural" colors I have noticed it. Only if I am looking very closely though. I think it's probably bits of the seeds, it makes sense. It's really not something that's ever bothered me or that I've given much thought to honestly. 

I just don't want people who I might give gifts to out of this yarn thinking there's something nasty or dirty on them. Especially with bath poufs! If someone gave me a pretty little handmade bath pout with weird black chunks stuck in the yarn I don't think I would want to use it!! lol. I might drop them an email. For now I just bought a different brand.

Archived