Hello from a very sunny Surrey in the UK

Aisles

I thought I'd better introduce myself as it's only polite. :)

I've been crocheting since I was a child after I was given a crochet granny square blanket by my two aunts.  After a few washes it came off the washing line and caught on the garden fence ripping one of the granny squares.

I found a crochet hook in a charity shop and a ball of yarn and decided I was going to learn to crochet so I could replace the ripped granny square.

I had no one to teach me at the time so I deconstructed the ripped square and managed to crochet a new one I was 9years old at the time and I've never looked back.

I don't use patterns I make up my own and until a last month I couldn't even read a crochet pattern.  However I was teaching someone to crochet and they were using a beginners pattern I thought I'd better be able to read the pattern myself to help her so I applied myself and now I can read a crochet pattern.

I also knit, I started extremely young at the age of 3, as my mother was a knitwear pattern designer for a very large knitting pattern company.  I still have my very first pair of knitting needles which I still use today.

I do numerous other crafts such as crewel embroidery, beadwork, cross stitch, hardanger, blackwork, Bedfordshire bobbin lace, patchwork/quilting, fabric painting, glass painting, glass engraving, etc etc.

I also Drag Race imported modified sports cars of which I have 3 at the present time.

I'm happily married and we share our home with an adorable Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog  who is laid out on the sofa right now trying to avoid the heat.

Thank you for all your kind welcomes :)

It was very hard trying to keep cool here yesterday.  We are in the middle of a 'Heat wave' which means it will all end in Huge Thunder Storms a bit later.  We had one on Saturday night it started at about 10.30pm and continued until 7.00am Sunday morning.  We were camping in a field with some of my car club members so not brilliant.

It's not so bad this morning just under 30Degree's but it's expected to get hotter again by lunch time

Hi Aisles! 

A big welcome to the Ville from South West England! I only learned to crochet a few weeks ago and am self-taught like you - kudos for learning the craft all by yourself at such a young age! 

• 2 weeks later...

:welcome from Pittsburgh

I thought I'd better introduce myself as it's only polite. :)

I've been crocheting since I was a child after I was given a crochet granny square blanket by my two aunts.  After a few washes it came off the washing line and caught on the garden fence ripping one of the granny squares.

I found a crochet hook in a charity shop and a ball of yarn and decided I was going to learn to crochet so I could replace the ripped granny square.

I had no one to teach me at the time so I deconstructed the ripped square and managed to crochet a new one I was 9years old at the time and I've never looked back.

I don't use patterns I make up my own and until a last month I couldn't even read a crochet pattern.  However I was teaching someone to crochet and they were using a beginners pattern I thought I'd better be able to read the pattern myself to help her so I applied myself and now I can read a crochet pattern.

I also knit, I started extremely young at the age of 3, as my mother was a knitwear pattern designer for a very large knitting pattern company.  I still have my very first pair of knitting needles which I still use today.

I do numerous other crafts such as crewel embroidery, beadwork, cross stitch, hardanger, blackwork, Bedfordshire bobbin lace, patchwork/quilting, fabric painting, glass painting, glass engraving, etc etc.

I also Drag Race imported modified sports cars of which I have 3 at the present time.

I'm happily married and we share our home with an adorable Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog  who is laid out on the sofa right now trying to avoid the heat.

Archived