Keeping track of your place

Hi!

I am very curious to find out how everyone keeps track of where they are @ in pattern directions. Do you use a stickey note & place that right under the line you are working on? Or do u use a piece a paper and place that where you are @ in the pattern? Or do u put it in a pg protector & just use a dry erase marker & check off each row after you are done w/ that row?

Lately, I have been using sticky notes or piece of paper to help me to know where I am at?

I use a pencil.

I put a dash ( - ) next to the line I'm working on.

I put a slash ( / ) through it when I'm done and dash the next one.

If I pick the pattern up again to make another one (which is a rarity) I can just erase the old marks.

I use a peg board that is numbered or a row counter that can hang around my neck.  Now if I am using a graph, like for my tote, I use a magnetic board with magnets that go under the line I am working on.

I use a pencil.

I put a dash ( - ) next to the line I'm working on.

I put a slash ( / ) through tit when I'm done and dash the next one.

If I pick the pattern up again to make another one (which is a rarity) I can just erase the old marks.

Rose Red, isn't this a tiny bit painful?? ;-)

If I'm working on a familiar pattern that is pretty repetitious, I use the row counter, hung around my neck.  Otherwise I tend to mark up my pattern with the number of each row that I've finished.

I advise if you are going to mark up the pattern, make an extra copy.  When I know I am going to cross or mark up pattern, I make one to mark up and I use the original to read.

I have each pattern I write or use in a plastic sheet protector. I also have dry erase markers. I use these to mark.

They wipe off the the sheet protector without any damage to the pattern. I use the vcarious colors each of these have a meaning to me regarding my pattern. When finished I simply remove the marking,

and restore the pattern to its proper binder.

I have each pattern I write or use in a plastic sheet protector. I also have dry erase markers. I use these

them. They wipe off the the sheet protector without any damage to the pattern. I use the vcarious colors each of these have a meaning to me regarding my pattern. When finished I simply remove the marking,

and restore the pattern to its proper binder.

...I do what Rose Red said....works perfectly! And if I have a lot of rows to repeat I keep a legal pad where I list the rows and do the same check off system (or I use the back of the printed pattern if there's room)

I also use the plastic sleeves for my patterns and just mark on there with dry erase markers, so the pattern itself is not damaged. 

For patterns in books or magazines, I keep a notebook beside me and write down the last completed row/repeat in the notebook, and keep that notebook with the book or magazine so the next time I am ready to work on the project I can easily find where I left off, without damaging the pages of the book or magazine. 

Archived