Crochet Crowns at Chain Link

Crochet crowns were the hot topic at the CGOA Chain Link Conference/Knit & Crochet Show held in Indianapolis July 17-21, 2013.

crowns.blog_-300x223.jpg

Because you can never have too much sparkle, I designed some crowns to wear in the Crochetville booth at consumer shows to grab the attention of show attendees. The crowns make people smile, and many stop to talk with us about them.

I designed my first crown pattern with  Filatura di Crosa’s New Smoking yarn, a super-sparkly yarn that was just perfect for use as a crown.

Since I sell Red Heart yarns in the booth, Red Heart asked me to design a crown using  Aunt Lydia’s Fashion 5 crochet thread. I made a heavily beaded crown in silver for myself and a non-beaded crown in gold for someone else to wear in the booth.

My good friend, crochet designer Tammy Hildebrand, and I wore the crowns in the booth and when walking around the show floor. Steven Berg, aka The Glitter Knitter, owner of the uber-sparkly-glittery-utterly-fabulous stores StevenBe and Yarn Garage in Minnesota, had a booth one aisle over from us. Every time Steven saw us wearing our crowns, he mentioned how much he loved the idea and how much he needed to have one of his own.

Well, I just happened to have a couple extra crowns up in my room made from my first design with New Smoking yarn. What was a sparkle-loving girl to do? Obviously, I had to run up to the room, grab a Queen for the Day crown, and present it to Steven as a gift! He gave me the biggest hug, put it right on his head, and told me he was going to wear it when he emceed The Knitting Guild Association’s Fun Night that evening. On Saturday, I heard from quite a few people that he actually had worn the crown that night.

Steven mentioned starting a Crown Club for all his wonderful Diva customers who deserve a crown of their very own. What a fabulous idea: Every woman deserves to have a crown to celebrate her awesomeness!

Make Your Own Crown Now!

If you would like to make your own crown, here are the links to the patterns. Each crown was designed to work best with a particular yarn, so for best results, please select the pattern written for the yarn you want to use.

Queen for a Day Crown for Filatura di Crosa’s New Smoking:

Available on Crochetville

Available on Ravelry

Adult Royal Crown for Red Heart/Aunt Lydia’s Fashion 5 Crochet Thread

Available for free on the Red Heart website

Share Your Crown Photos!

If you make yourself a crown, we’d love to see a picture of you wearing it! Please share a photo in this thread and/or on our Facebook page.

Archived