Shades of Grey Scarf Pattern

jeannestein

Question

I fell in love with the look of the free pattern on the Red Heart website, Shades of Grey Scarf.  I bought the suggested yarn and using the recommended hook, I am currently hooking this one.  Well, the finished size states, 6" x 84".  Mine is over 200" after completing 2 of the 12 rows.  I am confused and don't know whether the scarf is supposed to be super long and wrap around the shoulders several times, or if I am way off and should just frog it.  Has anyone made this one yet?  Or reading the directions, with a starting chain of 484 on a "L" hook, do you think 84" correct? 

Thanks,

Jeanne

5 answers to this question

Well an L hook seems huge to me for a scarf, but I don't know anything about the yarn.  Are you certain your L hook is 8mm, as the patt says?  I know some of the bigger sizes especially are different mm in different brands.  8mm still seems really big to me though.

484 chains is a LOT! But that st count seems right to create 120 shells.

If yours is 200" long, I would think you need to rip out and start again.  I mean, an 80" scarf is quite long, about as long as anything I have ever made.  

Do you like the fabric you have made?  if so, start over w/ the same hook and just make fewer chains.  If you don't liek the fabric you've made, try a smaller hook.  

Gotta love how they say gauge is not crucial!

My L hook is 8mm and I have done scarves and cowls with it before with great success.  The photo I think shows the scarf wrapped a few times, especially if it is only 6 inches wide, it must.  I have a feeling now that the typo could be that it should state 184" instead of 84". Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I don't know if this will be any help at all, but the pattern is in the Ravelry listing http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shades-of-grey-4

The links for errata don't seem to be working.

Here it is on the designer's blog http://crochetchiq.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-changes-shades-of-grey.html  where she says she started with 480 chains, each shell uses 4 ch, and there are 40 shells at end of row 1, so the numbers don't add up here either.  She does talk about changing the length to suit.  

Thanks for the blog link.  I will check that out.  I decided to frog it because it was only supposed to take 2 skeins and be 12 rows.  I used almost 1 skein on just 2 rows, so something is definitely wrong.  I love this yarn, so maybe I will just use it to make a long crescent scarf/shawl.

Archived