Sighting in Orange is the New Black

Anybody else notice the beautiful crocheted coverlet -- filet crochet and roses -- that PIper confiscated from her cellmate's bunk when her cellmate was hauled away?

After binge-viewing the entire series this past week on Netflix streaming, I think I'm going to be in OITNB withdrawal for a year waiting for the second season.

I LOVE OITNB! There are also two other crochet sightings..."Crazy Eyes" Suzanne has a orange/white chevron afghan on her bed in episode 11, and there is another scene where the nun is teaching Piper how to crochet in epsiode 12 :)

I LOVE OITNB! There are also two other crochet sightings..."Crazy Eyes" Suzanne has a orange/white chevron afghan on her bed in episode 11, and there is another scene where the nun is teaching Piper how to crochet in epsiode 12 :)

Now I' m reading the memoir the series is based on. A lot of the stories in the show are made up, but the book is interesting and a real indictment of our priso system. Apparently a huge number of women in prison crochet, and many are talented at it

Did I hear wrong,or did one of the characters in the scene you mentioned call it knitting?

They also show the women wearing really cool billed hats (newsboys). I've been searching all over for the pattern and found a few similar things on etsy.

I heard part of an interview with the author of the book the show is based on, and I was surprised to find out she had gone to prison and so the show was very authentic in terms of her experience. The interviewer asked her what she had found most surprising and she said that she was surprised how the "womanly arts" of "cooking, crocheting, sewing" are so important in prison culture. Here's a link to the interview if you're interested:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/07/29/orange-new-black

Having just finished the book, I've learned that the show only somewhat reflects Kerman's actual experience. Characters and incidents were changed or created out of whole cloth for the TV series, making it a lot more entertaining than the book. In the show the author is portrayed and less narcissistic and more likeable, too

Archived