Where to get soles to crochet shoes?

Kristen Hudgins

Question

14 answers to this question

I recently picked up a fake suede man's jacket at the Goodwill for $4.00. It was like brand new, also says machine washable.  I'm hoping to be able to cut several soles from it, not sure if it will work, but I'll give it a try.

I remember years ago Mom used to buy fake leather/suede elbow patches for my father's wool shirts. I was thinking of using those, putting two pieces on the sole of each slipper, one on the toe and a smaller piece on the heel section. I never did find them in any stores, I just happened to find this jacket first and decided to give it a try. The elbow patches may work for kid's slippers.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about several old leather purses and bags I have... hmmm, I wonder how that leather would work? some of that leather is really soft, I bet it would work. (Not sure how it would hold up in the washer, tho, and it 's color may run, too) I suppose it could be sewn on with the finished side toward the yarn, leaving the rough textured suede-y side towards the floor to give more "anti-skid".

I love my crocheted and knitted slippers, but am always afraid of wearing them around on these slippery wood floors. I hope this jacket/sole idea works!

I recently picked up a fake suede man's jacket at the Goodwill for $4.00. It was like brand new, also says machine washable.  I'm hoping to be able to cut several soles from it, not sure if it will work, but I'll give it a try.

I remember years ago Mom used to buy fake leather/suede elbow patches for my father's wool shirts. I was thinking of using those, putting two pieces on the sole of each slipper, one on the toe and a smaller piece on the heel section. I never did find them in any stores, I just happened to find this jacket first and decided to give it a try. The elbow patches may work for kid's slippers.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about several old leather purses and bags I have... hmmm, I wonder how that leather would work? some of that leather is really soft, I bet it would work. (Not sure how it would hold up in the washer, tho, and it 's color may run, too) I suppose it could be sewn on with the finished side toward the yarn, leaving the rough textured suede-y side towards the floor to give more "anti-skid".

I love my crocheted and knitted slippers, but am always afraid of wearing them around on these slippery wood floors. I hope this jacket/sole idea works!

What a great idea!  I've seen the soles for sale, I think it was in AC Moore, but I couldn't justify paying the amount of $$$ they wanted for them.  Please let me know if your idea works.  Sorry for interrupting the thread....back to your original conversation.....

here are some felted ones with the holes prepunched  could put non slip stuff maybe that you use on rugs on the bottom   http://www.etsy.com/listing/106607409/soles-for-crocheted-shoes-for-slippers  also I punched in rubber soles on google and a lot came up but the problem also is price and to get the holes in or one person suggested gluing them on the bottom of a whole crocheted shoe

If you have an old pair of tennis shoes/sneakers you can cut off most of the top (leave enough to use to stitch top to sole) and then use any number of methods to attach the crochet sock/slipper to the sole. 

Possible more than you want to spend, but I have always glued in a Dr School type shoe line to give a smooth base. But I tend to make things to last so don't mind spending a little extra.

Long ago I did a pair that attached the crochet slipper using a hand picked zipper.  This allowed me to remove the sock portion for washing

Another time I modified a pair of sandles by attaching velcro to the straps and also to the back of the crochet strips.  One base, many looks (and something to do with the yarn left over from tote or even a purse.   This also can/has worked with some addtional effort (cleaning the shoe being upcycled)

If you have normal sized feet, clear clogs or boots, not inexpensive but more versatile so many worth investing, are the clear clogs and boots.

If you are comfortable wearing them, either Crocs or the knock offs work really well as a base as the wholes are already punched. 

ac moore, Michaels & joanns craft stores as well as walmart sell the soles in most stores.. the brand is boye  the pricing goes bout 5.99 for babies and adults up to 15.99 unless otherwise stated.. *i was in walmart a few miles from me yesterday they had few soles in the clearance section under ten dollars..

If you have an old pair of tennis shoes/sneakers you can cut off most of the top (leave enough to use to stitch top to sole) and then use any number of methods to attach the crochet sock/slipper to the sole. 

Possible more than you want to spend, but I have always glued in a Dr School type shoe line to give a smooth base. But I tend to make things to last so don't mind spending a little extra.

Long ago I did a pair that attached the crochet slipper using a hand picked zipper.  This allowed me to remove the sock portion for washing

Another time I modified a pair of sandles by attaching velcro to the straps and also to the back of the crochet strips.  One base, many looks (and something to do with the yarn left over from tote or even a purse.   This also can/has worked with some addtional effort (cleaning the shoe being upcycled)

If you have normal sized feet, clear clogs or boots, not inexpensive but more versatile so many worth investing, are the clear clogs and boots.

If you are comfortable wearing them, either Crocs or the knock offs work really well as a base as the wholes are already punched. 

Great advice. I think that I will do this.

Archived