Hello from Berkshire in the UK

Hazel Stoddart

Hello! I'm Hazel and I wanted to come to a place I could be enthusiastic about crochet without people thinking i'm boring. I'm still learning and mainly do blankets, I need to learn how to read patterns still but I got 10 crochet books for my birthday so I am intent on learning soon.

Anyone else feel like they want to talk about crochet but everyone around you doesn't understand/care or things its boring or old fashioned?

Hi Hazel! I'm not too far from you in Wiltshire, nice to see another UK lady :) Welcome to an incredibly friendly place, you can talk about crochet to your heart's content and be met with equal enthusiasm, support and encouragement. 

How you finding this heat, are you melting as much as we are?! 

My best friend calls me 'old before my time' for crocheting, but she certainly doesn't mind when her kids are the beneficiaries of my projects! 

I've only been doing crochet for about 6 weeks, I too did blankets first. I was really nervous to try patterns but it isn't as scary as you think I promise. Are you a member of Ravelry? If not I'd highly recommend it, they have tonnes of free patterns and they are rated by members who have done them as to how easy/difficult they are, which was a great starting point for me. 

Looking forward to seeing you around on the forum :) 

Becca x

I've been crocheting for years, my mothers a knitter and does a little crochet but she says my tension is better than hers in crochet. I always used to only make hexagons as that was what I learned to make firs but then taught myself granny squares and recently taught myself granny stripe.

My WIP's are two baby blankets for a set of twins that I have almost finished, a clutch bag, and a bed spread but I am awaiting a delivery of wool as it was out of stock.

I'm baking and found that the heat has put me off crocheting the blankets I have been trying to do because they are so hot on my lap. I do enjoy going to the park when my daughter is in nursery and crocheting under a tree :) love seeing the sun but 20C is enough for me! Carrying a little extra weight and having a dodgy knee I get very hot and bothered at the moment.

People at work call me old before my time too, because of my knee problems and crochet and love for tea mainly. I struggle reading patterns, I want to learn a simple bootie pattern, I learn best from watching others rather than from a pattern so I am attempting some things from watching youtube.

I want to put my new books to good use though so when my daughter is with my parents for a week I will try to spend and afternoon teaching myself.

So lovely to be here with other people who are as passionate as I am (even though I am a novice, I love it!)

I will get onto Revalry asap, only problem is that I don't own a printer. I guess that's why I enjoy the thought of having books.

Haha, we almost sound like kindred spirits, my friends and family are always mocking me for how much tea I drink, I always have a cup on the go! 

Not a particularly small cup either see:

post-67796-0-13101000-1374239495_thumb.jpg

Sometimes if the pattern I want isn't very long I jot it down in a notebook, this has a couple of benefits (and also helps if you don't have a printer!) 1) if it is written with variations for size I can just write down the bits for the size I've chosen, 2) it helps to make sure I understand the whole pattern before I begin, and I can look up anything I'm unsure of. Might be worth a try if you have time?

I know what you mean about the heat, I have to sit in front of a fan while I crochet at the moment! 

Right, as you can tell from the pic above I took a large delivery of yarn today, so I'm off to wind up some more of it into 'cakes'. 

Happy hooking! 

:welcome Hazel, from Pittsburgh

Hello! I'm Hazel and I wanted to come to a place I could be enthusiastic about crochet without people thinking i'm boring. I'm still learning and mainly do blankets, I need to learn how to read patterns still but I got 10 crochet books for my birthday so I am intent on learning soon.

Anyone else feel like they want to talk about crochet but everyone around you doesn't understand/care or things its boring or old fashioned?

Archived