July Summer Charity CAL: 7/18-7/23

This month has flown by.   :eek    It's time for the monthly charity get-together.  For 6 days once a month we get together to crochet  :crocheting , knit  :knit , sew  :sew , weave, or whatever for the charity of our choice.  These items can be for humans in need or for animals in need.  It's just a time to get-together and see what a lot our own wee bits of kindness can accomplish when put with the wee bits of kindness done by others.  We chat and share pictures of what we are doing and making during these 6 days, too.  :photo   At the end of the time I ask that you post the list of what you have started, finished, and made progress on in Big, Bright letters.  At the end of the week, I'll make a combined list of all our contributions and post it so you can all see what a small number of folks can accomplish together.  I'm always amazed at the total.  :yes 

I will be leaving on Friday to visit my daughter and grandson in Iowa, but will keep in touch from there as much as possible.  :plane 

By the way, it's entirely acceptable to start a couple of hours or days early and go past the deadline by a couple of hours or days too.  :yes   The dates just give us a general timeline to go by.  I have a baby blanket and a prayer shawl in the works that I will be working on and probably some other things will creep in.  What you choose to work on is entirely up to you.  I may make some preemie afghans as small things are cooler to work on in the summer than large projects.

So gather up your supplies and we'll get going on Thursday.  :manyheart 

Count me in! :yes   I've been so looking forward to this month so I can hopefully finish up my lapghan that I started last month for the Warmth for Warriors. I'm about half done and really am making it my goal to finish it up during this blitz.

Welcome, Cindy.  I've started things in one month's cal and then finished them in another more times than I'd like to admit.  Wishing you good luck with your goal.

Just restarted blanket when I realized my count was off for a reason.  I still think I can get this one done.  I also have an 18" doll dress that just needs buttons.  This should be my incentive to finish it off.

You know I will be around making cat mats that look just like the ones I made last month!  I just got season two of Downton Abbey from the library last week and I am just in to episode 3!  So I have lots of sitting/watching to do.   My husband does not "get" Downton.  :P

Welcome, Bailey, Pineknot, and Denise!  Sounds like you've all got good projects in the works.

Krazycrocheter, come on in and be our cheerleader and we'll be yours.  :cheer   Sounds like you've got a real time crunch going on that baby blanket.  :P 

I want to participate in this. Do I have to have started the project during the 18th-23rd window. I am working on a granny square afghan that I will probably finish up in the next couple of days. Will that count or do I need to start something new?

We pretty much celebrate all accomplishments here. If you start something, we are happy. If you finish something, we are happy. We just keep each other inspired at any point in the process. So finish that granny square afghan, tell us all about it and share pictures if you can!!

So in short, yes, it "counts"!!

Welcome, Bailey, Pineknot, and Denise!  Sounds like you've all got good projects in the works.

Krazycrocheter, come on in and be our cheerleader and we'll be yours.  :cheer   Sounds like you've got a real time crunch going on that baby blanket.  :P 

Sure I will be your cheerleader! I do have a time crunch on the baby blanket. Only a few weeks, don't even think I have a full month.

I'm happy to say I'm making some progress one scarf #1

it will be a 60" scarf,its seafoam green and off white,every 12" I'm changing color,right now I'm about 26 inches along

I'm in again. My goal for the rest of the year is to use up ALL of the Caron One Pound that I've decided I really don't like. I have a boatload of it. So I spent the last few days getting starts on eight or nine lapghans, choosing colors, patterns, working them just far enough to establish the pattern.

I have one of them that I had started earlier almost finished - a round ripple, so I will probably be able to polish that one off during this period. I brought one of the others in to work - the RR is getting too big to handle comfortably at my desk. I have a lot of downtime, through probably not as much as usual this weekend.

So, I hope to finish one, and get quite a bit done on a second one. These will be given to a local hospital for, probably, their hospice program, though I tell them to use them wherever they want to.

Start Day:  I've started a new prayer shawl to take with me on vacation.  It's made of Patons Brilliant - brown with metallic copper - it's called Marvellous Mocha.

Welcome everyone!  I'm so glad you are here.  Tanya ~ It all counts: starts, finishes, and progress made.  Some projects are fast and some take lots of time, but every bit helps someone sooner or later.  Glad to have you join us this time.  Hi, Donna. 

Looks like I'll have quite a bit of crochet time at the airport tomorrow.  :lol   My ride will getting me there extra early.  :D   Better early than late.

I worked on my lapghan a bit yesterday but didn't get too many rows done. With this heat and this thing called a job, I didn't get too much time in. But it's almost the weekend so I hope to get more time to crochet over the next couple of days.

Cheering everyone else on :cheer  Hope its a great day today to crochet!

Wow, everyone is really on the ball this month. 

Just wondering why you hate pounders Donna?  I forgot which brand (I think there are two) I used on a baby afghan last year, but I found that it split a lot.  So I dreaded using the next one I had, but it wasn't as miserable.  I wonder if they just have a bad day at the yarn factory once in awhile?

I have one cat mat done so far.

babypoohsmom - I don't exactly hate it, more just really don't enjoy working with it.

I don't like how thick it is. For other worsted, I use H or I for most patterns. For COP, I find I have to bump the hook up to I or J, and especially with the J, things begin looking coarser, for want of a better word, than I like. Also, some colors that seem stiffer seem to drag on my hooks - Clover Soft Touch - more than other brands. It almost has the hook feel to me of say, Sugar and Cream cotton. That means I have to work harder with it, and that reduces my thumb to a throbbing mess after an extended period of crocheting.

I also find the color range very limited and sometimes a little strange. To my eye, a lot of the colors aren't really compatible, and when I find two that are, one is often very light, one very dark with no choices to mediate that intensity. 

I bought most of it online, when I was first starting to use it and was in an inexplicable yarn buying frenzy, one skein of each for the most part to check out the colors, so with most colors I don't have enough for a solid color project, and finding multi-color projects is challenging my creativity. I'll probably have to buy a few more skeins just to get things to work out -  I just bought a purple to go with remnants of the gold sunflower, for a round ripple in local university colors. Buying more isn't high on my list of things I want to do, but I don't think it mixes well with other worsteds I have because of its thickness, texture, and overall appearance.

The one that will really test me is that icky (to me) skein of taupe. I don't think the other browns go with it, and neither does anything else really. And a solid color project would be a complete eyesore, to me working it and the unlucky person receiving it. I'm thinking a round ripple to use up every bit of the taupe with maybe cape cod blue and off white, but I've only looked at that at night. I need to check in in daylight, especially with the off white, that to me has a sort of odd khaki cast.

I'm sure you didn't expect an essay when you asked a simple question!  :lol

Hi all

Lots of great progress already made. Doing great everyone! I got two more rows done on my babyghan last night.

Dds: All of us have yarn we don't like for one reason or another. I can't stand fun fur. I just can't work with it at all, and some items made with it just seem scratchy.

Wish you loads of hookin' time!!!

Donna, I actually do appreciate the thorough explanation! I think you are right about the colors. I does seem hard to match them up with something complimentary, but I have only used mine for a few baby afghans in solid purple and pink. And of course I will use anything in cat mats!! The mats are made with 3 strands and because I get a lot of yarn at thrift shops, I often don't know the brand I am using. As a result, the mats often vary in size when the yarns are mixed and matched. But that doesn't matter to me or the cats!

I bought some Sensations Rainbow Botique (I think that is what it's called) it is thin and weird to work with. Of course I did much like you. I saw it in the store and thought it was beautiful so I bought several colors instead of trying it first. I have been lucky enough to give a few away, but I am stuck with a few skeins that I feel I should really use somehow!

Anyway, glad to hear that so much progress is being made this weekend. I hope to post a picture of my finished mat tomorrow.

I finished the first use-up-the-one-pounders project today before coming to work, at least all except for a few ends to weave in that I'll do tonight, or definitely some time before this ends, since I'm off Mon-Tue. It's from my favorite round ripple pattern, almost the only one I use. Usually I modify it, so it center doesn't have the flower points, making it more of a medallion center, but with the sunflower colors, I used the full flower center. I like that it has a few extra points, so they don't end up quite so deeply indented. I also like her 20 point round ripple pattern, though I don't make it as often.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/foxs-daisy-round-ripple-14-points

I worked on a blue one a bit yesterday while I was waiting at the Honda dealership for a safety recall repair, but then I got home, I looked at the taupe. I think I can get by with taupe, lace (though it's a bit yellowish in natural like, ok in indoor light), and off white. That is going to be so disagreeable to me to work, I'm going to start that and get it over with, though after a while I may start alternating it with something more appealing. I'll use the same round ripple pattern with the modified center.

Here's the finished one:

post-39480-0-89632300-1374355698_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifSunflower RR.jpg

Beautiful!

I finally finished my granny square afghan, it's not pretty, but hopefully it will keep someone warm this winter. This will probably be all that I am able to finish in the next few days (got to get started on some stuff for work.)

1 Afghan

post-46668-0-13952300-1374361893_thumb.jpg

Archived