hello from sweden! stuck on pattern big time

Bulan1

Question

Dear all

I baught the most beautiful pattern for a dolly dress from the 60`s. However I am totaly stuck, from the start. I have googled and tryed all kind of variations but I can not do this :(. I crochet a lot, and have done other dresses but this I do not understand. If anyone can help me I would be so happy!

Here is the start that I do not get.

Beg at left sholder,ch 7. Row 1 Dc in 7 ch from hook, ch 6 turn. Row 2 Dc in first dc , work dc, ch 3, dc in the 4;th ch of starting 7 (v st made). Ch 6 turn.

Row 3 Dc in first dc, dc, ch 3, dc in the nest ch-3 sp (vi stitch sp made) , v st in turning ch and first dc as a V st. Ch 6 turn. Row 4 Dc in the first dc /inc at beg of row), make V st in each ch-3 sp, V st in turning ch sp-4 v sts.

This make no sense. If anyone can make this easier, or if you need to see the complete pattern, or perhaps draw me a picture let me know, and I will send you my email adress. Yhank you in advande.

Maria

Maria Schillstrom/Sweden

• Answers 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well now that i look at the photo, i actually put the next part in the wrong spot....but the point is that you are making a triangle shape or almost a heart shape at this point.  

to do exactly what the pattern says,  mark the 4th chain of your initial chain7.  into that stitch, do dc/chain3/dc.  that is your second v stitch.  

OK so ch 7, DC in 7:Th ch froom hook. Ch 6, DC in the first DC= an 8. Then do DC, ch 3, DC in the marked ch? I will give that a try, and remember to turn. Did I miss Andy part now up abow?:)

I made a mistake in the second row I put the v in the sp instead of the 4th ch (the 4th ch will be where the last dc is though) but otherwise the rest is right.

post-10430-0-37919600-1373489554_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-66549800-1373489591_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-78901300-1373489629_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-03111700-1373489691_thumb.jpg

post-10430-0-28255200-1373489777_thumb.jpg

You are to do the chain 6 after row 2 turn then dc in the first dc which makes your first v stitch, then do a v stitch (dc ch 3 dc) in the next sp, then do another v stitch in the starting ch sp (which is the first v stitch in row 2)  (then ch 6 and turn and then do a dc in the first dc and v stiches in each sp..

row 3 has 3 v stitches and fow 4 has 4 v stitches

It does look strange but I hope when the top is finished it will work out.

Can you explain how this is put on the dress?

Looks great, keep up the good work. Glad you kept going. Glad I know now about the rest as that is basically what I was thinking it would be doing.

Here is the link to the Dutch pattern baby blanket.  http://karinaandehaak.blogspot.nl/2013/02/babydekentje-patroon.html  She has a nice blog with some very lovely things.  I have started my blanket.  I'm just winging it.  Although I wish nice cotton yarn was more available locally.  When it is available the color range is usually limited.

Oh, I see. That does look good. Here is what I have so far. I think it will look very similar. But I would love to know what she did. The rows above and below the look like double crochet when I enlarge the pictures.

Hi all,i am just about to start on the skirt part. However ,my gaps or holes made of the v stc looks big. So now my worries is, have i made the v stc correct. DC, ch3,DC. Or is it just DC, DC in the same space, on the orter hand, there are no space IF i do not ch 3... Will add pic

Hi all,i am just about to start on the skirt part. However ,my gaps or holes made of the v stc looks big. So now my worries is, have i made the v stc correct. DC, ch3,DC. Or is it just DC, DC in the same space, on the orter hand, there are no space IF i do not ch 3... Will add pic

Maybe I use a yarn that is not so good for this dress. I had alot of yarn ,that is 54% cotton and 46% viscose, it is a bit glossy. What yarn would you all recomend.?

I have the dress top that started the thread almost done. This is what it ended up being except I didn't make the front closed and did the two sides seperate to be open.

Very nice to see what it looks like!  thanks  :)

Back! I do not get it:(! What does it mean at the point"work DC'? Work DC in what? And how many.? Can I send you the pattern. :(

No, don't send me the pattern---see my previous post.   But anyway, I do not need the whole pattern to try to help with these rows.

Are you asking about row 2 where it says "work dc, ch 3, dc in the 4;th ch of starting 7 (v st made)."?  the dc, ch3, dc, make up a v stitch; you are to work a v stitch in the 4th chain of the starting 7 chain.  

Honestly I have to say that at least this part of the pattern is not very clearly written!  What I have noticed is that in recent years pattern-writiing has become more clear, at least that used in most magazines or books, or single patterns by professional designers. Since this pattern is from the 60s i guess we shouldn't expect it to be as clear and easy to use as contemporary patterns.  Personally my preference is for patterns that use diagrams of sttich symbols, or patterns that include very clear photos---I need to see in my head what I am making, in order to really enjoy crocheting (or knitting).  

Hi! Oh tank you for the prompt reply! Yes I vän, how do I add a file now?

In the Town Hall section of the forum are guidelines, including how to post photos http://www.crochetville.com/community/forum/6-crochetville-community-policiesrules/   I might need to reread those too, as i am going to post a photo of what i made from rows 1-4 of the pattern  :D

You can also read the general rules there for posting and using the forum.  One rule is not to share complete patterns, because that violates the copyright of the pattern.  It is fine to post a portion of a pattern for help.  

well I got out my yarn and hook and tried it.  it does work up to a point.  that is, up to row 3 where it says v st in turning chain---that much works out.  but then it says and first dc as a v st---there is no first dc on that side, unless you are supposed to count the first 3 chains as a dc. does it say that at the beginning of the pattern?  also, the "dc in the nest ch-3 sp (vi stitch sp made)" is just making a single dc so I don't understand that.

Oh wait.....i think in row 3 the "v st in turning ch and first dc as a V st." means to do a dc into the chain space of the turning chain, then ch3, then do a dc into the middle ch of the turning chain....it is the mirror image of how the row started. the single dc in the middle of the row still looks out of place to me, that row is not symmetrical.  but if i do row 3 that way, row 4 does work.  it makes a triangle shape.  

Archived