Crochet slippers - non-slip?

beccalovely

Question

Sorry, I know this isn't specifically a crochet question but I couldn't see where else to post it. 

I'm making some easy crochet ballet slippers, and I've been trying to think what to put on the bottom of the sole to prevent then from being too slippy. 

The pattern designer suggested t-shirt paint - I've never used this before, what do you guys think?

Another thought I had was the little pads you can put on the bottom of furniture, and I was thinking if it would be possible to use fabric glue to attach them - would fabric glue withstand machine washing? 

Any other ideas or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Becca x

My first attempt at the slipper: 

post-67796-0-19212300-1373194396_thumb.jpg   post-67796-0-01684800-1373194399_thumb.jpg

I've started the next one and am adjusting the pattern as I go along as it was a little bit too loose around the front of the foot. 

Basis of the pattern free from: http://originalandrea.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/crochet-slippers-patterntutorial.html

3 answers to this question

personally, i gave up making slippers for the very reason, I can't get satisfied on the non slip issue. Nothing seems to work to my complete satisfaction, not rug backing, puff paint, non slip rubbermaid heal and toe pieces I glued on with ok to wash it, aileens glue. Nothing met my satisfaction, and since they were going to nursing homes, I abandoned the idea. Such a shame, I enjoyed making them, and have a pair, or two floating around, that I experiemented on, again, somewhat better, but not slip proof for the nursing home crowd, just my opinion, wishing you luck!

Archived