2013 WIP-Busters

I thought I would start a WIP-Busters for this year, although it is late getting started. The object is to buckle down and get those projects finished. They can be long standing projects that are sitting around feeling old and abandoned, or new(er) ones.

I always have a number of projects going at once, and this thread last year helped me forge through a big backlog of them. I have three now, all of them so nearly done they will probably be finished by the end of the week, but I also have a long list in mind I want to start, so very soon I will back in the same place with lots of unfinished projects.

All are welcome to use this thread to track and  show off all the projects you can check off the list as "Done!"  :yes     :yay  :woo

Edited by ddc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe check your local library for crochet books! I have a Reader's Digest Guide to Needlepoint from the seventies and it has a lot of different stitch patterns for both knitting and crochet. Somethin

You might get some ideas looking at sampler afghan squares. I know there are several on the Red Heart site.

That's the way it always seems to work for me! Your shawl is very pretty.

Posted Images

I need to find the motivation or need someone to kick me in the rear to finish some projects!

1. pom pom yarn rabbit for GD due in two week, 3/4 finished

2. shawl, 2/3 finished then set aside for other things; supposed to be a Christmas present for DIL

3. pillow, 3/4 finished, started early this year

4. purse, just needs pieces joined and to be felted, about 4 years old--will have to find it!

5. afghan, needs motifs joined and tassels made, also about 4 years old--also will have to find it

6. mystery cal afghan, 3 squares done, started early last year

7. afghan, bought yarn last year, never started

8. take apart afghan and redo it as a much smaller wall hanging; also have to make all the nativity figures to go on it--4-5 years old

9. marcelle afghan, active project, Christmas present

I keep buying the yarn for new projects and getting side tracked with projects I want to do next. Maybe having these listed out will help me get back to them.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

I keep buying the yarn for new projects and getting side tracked with projects I want to do next. Maybe having these listed out will help me get back to them.

Say it ain't so! That never happens to me. What? No, I don't have my fingers crossed! I just like standing with my hands behind my back! :D

I've got a list too, but I just finished putting Little Viking to bed and I need to take care of some cleaning so I'll just edit this post later to put them in.

Edited by VikingRunnerGirl

I would like to join in this one. Currently I have:

1. Two sided baby afghan 1/3 done

2. Mommy blanket. All panels are complete I just need to see them together.

3. Baby afghan for my sister in law. About 1/3 done

4. Twin sized afghan for my hubby.... Oh about 1/8th done. It's going to take me forever.

5. A set of felted potholders. I have 2 crocheted but need to crochet up a couple more and then felt them.

6. A set of dish clothes for a friend. I just started on the first one.

I always have a number of projects going at once, and this thread last year helped me forge through a big backlog of them. I have three now, all of them so nearly done they will probably be finished by the end of the week, but I also have a long list in mind I want to start, so very soon I will back in the same place with lots of unfinished projects.

:rofl This so sound like me!!  I'm in!! My project list grows and grows and the weeks go on.....

1. baby round ripple  done 7/2/13

2. white shawl  7/5/13

3. green baby afghan for boss

4. Shifio's lilac dress set for friend work

5. purple/lavender/white kitty on a fence baby blanket for same friend at work

6. shades of blue wave afghan for another friends baby

7. green/tan/brown baby blanket for friend with small vest/hat/booties

8. angel square blanket for sister for Christmas

9. nap blanke for friend with different textures  for autistic child 

Edited by smith

I would like to join in this one. Currently I have:

1. Two sided baby afghan 1/3 done

2. Mommy blanket. All panels are complete I just need to see them together.

3. Baby afghan for my sister in law. About 1/3 done

4. Twin sized afghan for my hubby.... Oh about 1/8th done. It's going to take me forever.

5. A set of felted potholders. I have 2 crocheted but need to crochet up a couple more and then felt them.

6. A set of dish clothes for a friend. I just started on the first one.

I seen the two sided on Raverly, is it the same one? It looked rather difficult to attempt for me. 

greyhoundgandma... I love that marcelle afghan! 

ddc.. where is your list???  :devil

Edited by smith

9. nap blanke for friend with different textures  for autistic child (any ideas??)

Maybe check your local library for crochet books! I have a Reader's Digest Guide to Needlepoint from the seventies and it has a lot of different stitch patterns for both knitting and crochet. Something like that would be a good way to come up with different textures.

• Like 1

9. nap blanke for friend with different textures  for autistic child (any ideas??)

You might get some ideas looking at sampler afghan squares. I know there are several on the Red Heart site.

• Like 1

Okay... I'm in.. and I'm putting it in writing!!

I need to start? or finish? that Nativity set. I've made a few pieces, just 3 or 4, but I haven't seen them lately.  I did catch my cat using my precious little sheep as a toy, for heaven's sake!, and I rescued it, but that was a few months ago. I hid it from her (and me) and have no idea where I hid it!

Anyway.. I am going to get busy on the rest of the pieces.

I've been really good, and don't usually have WIP, but due the market man having a holiday, I'm waiting on wool for my Tunisian rainbow jacket, only have one sleeve finished.

and the Seraphina shawl to start.

and hubby's bear to finish. just the limbs to do for that.

so if that's enough I'd love to join. lol

Any amount of WIPs that get under your skin is enough to join, I think! :lol

Let's see. Right now I'm working on

1. a mega-granny-rainbow afghan
  2. A farm-themed quilt for DS's cousin that was supposed to be done for his birthday (next week; not happening. Again.)
  3. More ice cream cones, just because. :D
  4. An african flower soccer ball from Crochetbug's blog
  5. two mythical creature designs
  6. entrelac rainbow scarf
  7. cross-stitch birth sampler (for my now 2.5 year old...)
  8. cross-stitch fun design just because I could
  9. crochet green eggs and ham. Haven't actually started this yet but that's our favorite book right now AND I have the perfect shade of green yarn for it.

That's what comes to mind right now as the stuff I feel guilty about for not having finished yet (except numbers 1 and 3; I've been working on those because they are so fun right now). I have procrastinated so much on that quilt and when I finally sat down at the sewing machine two weeks ago to try to finish it before this weekend, I found out that my presser foot was missing. Hmm, I wonder who could have been playing with my sewing machine and lost it for me?? :P And of course I can't just go to a store and find it (well, maybe there's one locally, but they're not open very often when I'm not at work) so I ordered it from singeronline a week ago and it still hasn't come. Grr. :rant  On the plus side, that did remove any guilt I felt about working on the rainbow-ghan instead!

the african flower soccer ball sounds very cool! I am so impressed on the various color combos people come up with!

what color are you doing the Seraphina shawl in ? 

I am hoping to finish #2 this weekend and most of #3...they both are waiting patiently...free shipping if I can get #3 done in a week!! 

I started this and then took four days off work, and just got back today. I don't have internet at home - I decided why pay for it when I have hours and hours of downtime at work when I can use the computer there? So this is my first chance to check back in. Welcome everyone. We can cheer one another on.

I did finish the three that were so nearly done, though I had to assemble one granny square lapghan THREE times. Don't even ask. 

My current list is fairly short, but these are all just started.

1. A Daisy Round Ripple http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/foxs-daisy-round-ripple-14-points in sunflower colors

2. The RH Twilight Shells pattern with Caron One Pound colors

3. A granny square using up some variegated I bought online that was so bright it could glow in the dark

4. A round ripple baby blanket - modified from the Daisy RR pattern - white, blue, green, lavender

5. Color samples for lots of new yarn (boring, boring) - before I start #6 & 7

Works in mind that are definite and will be started soon because I can't wait -

6. A lapghan for ME with the new yarn, soft colors - wave pattern, looking at several

7. Another lapghan for ME with the new yarn, bright colors - stained glass - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stained-glass-magic, a really cool pattern, made in an interesting way

My goal for the rest of the year is to work through a lot of my Caron One Pound stash and move it on out. It will all go into charity lapghans. 

I like to work on several things at once, but I need to try to keep it to three or four current projects, and not just keep starting new ones. This would be easy if it wasn't so much more fun to start something new than just slogging on.

Edited by ddc

This would be easy if it wasn't so much more fun to start something new than just slogging on.

Yes. Yes. YES. And more yes.

That stained glass pattern is an interesting one. I love looking at patterns named "stained glass"; it's always so interesting to see how different people interpret it! I do have a stained glass design in mind... that one's very much on the back burner though! I meant to get some of the important things done first. And... I've started like six other projects since... oops... ^_^;;

picked up yarn for #7 and #9 today, I think I'll start on #7  :lol  Gotta have more than one at a time going on

I've decided on pattern for  #9 in green, red and yellow...nice and fun and bright!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-square-afghan-3

Edited by smith

smith - I like square motifs that are more solid, without all the holes of the traditional granny square. It should work up nicely.

VikingRunnerGirl - what I like about that stained glass pattern, and made it worth the cost, is that unlike a lot of similar patterns work end to end, this one does a complete colored bubble, then another - I would never have thought of doing it what way and I admire the designer who figured out how to make it work. It makes it great for leftovers, because it comes out with pooled color in the bubbles, rather than "strings" of colors. The designer suggested it for a magic ball afghan - it would work very well for that. I've had the pattern for a while now, and I'm anxious to start it.

Last night though, I changed plans a bit. With the new yarn, I'm still going to use the soft colors for a wave lapghan, but will use the bright colors with some other pattern. I want to use all of them in the stained glass. The yarn is DK weight I just bought from Deramores, mostly Stylecraft, with some Paton's and James C. Brett. I also got some King Cole to try - all these yarns were new to me, but it is a bit finer and shinier, so I'll save it for something else. The others should mix quite well, and I have a huge spectrum of luscious colors. Can't wait to start playing with it! I should have more than enough for all three projects. I went a little crazy with the order, I have to admit.

Before work I chugged along on the baby blanket round ripple. Five rows to go and another is done. I need to go update my signature.

Edited by ddc

here's my shawl I finished!! I finally got to it's new home today....

post-17683-0-34548600-1373324029_thumb.jpg

so I can add two more to the list now that I"ve completed a few....right?? 

Ok, I'm looking at a severely decreased craft budget for a while in the future (we're buckling down to saving for a down payment on our "Real House"; the place we want to be settled for a while). So I decided to make a list of all the projects I have going, either actually in progress or planned with materials purchased, to reassure myself that I will not run out of things to do even if I have to put a moratorium on buying new supplies. The list covers knitting, crochet, sewing (quilting and clothing), jewelry, and a few "other" category items.

The list is 45 items long. It's probably not done yet. Oh, 46. Just remembered one more.

Ok, I'm looking at a severely decreased craft budget for a while in the future (we're buckling down to saving for a down payment on our "Real House"; the place we want to be settled for a while). So I decided to make a list of all the projects I have going, either actually in progress or planned with materials purchased, to reassure myself that I will not run out of things to do even if I have to put a moratorium on buying new supplies. The list covers knitting, crochet, sewing (quilting and clothing), jewelry, and a few "other" category items.

The list is 45 items long. It's probably not done yet. Oh, 46. Just remembered one more.

Okay, calm down, deep breath.....46 projects should keep you plenty busy and if not let me know and I'll send a few your way! Congrates on the house, good decision! 

I finished a baby blanket, then unfinished it, frogging the last row and edging. It's a round ripple that ended with a v-st shell instead of the 2dc shell in the sequence, and when I put the reverse sc edging, it curled the corners. So I changed the last row to the 2dc shell, and it's working perfectly. Lesson learned. I'm not quite finished - I have about 2/3 of the edging still to re-do.

Right now, I'm working on unraveling one of the worst tangles I've ever had to deal with. I'm still not sure how it happened, but so far, I've devoted about 3 hours of my life to it, and I'm only about half finished. When I pulled it off the yarn winder, first, and this is very mysterious, the outside thread got caught up in some from the inside. Then I decided just to rewind it, and thought it was ok, but apparently the end wasn't really freed, because when I pulled out a bit from the center to find the end to start over, it pulled a glop from the outside up through the middle. Then it started barfing yarn from the top AND bottom of the center - how could that even work? - and continued going from bad to worse. The yarn was twisting around itself so I had to just start a regular ball and weave it in and out of loops. What a mess. If it were RH or something like that, I would probably just write it off as hopeless and abandon it, but it's one of the skeins I just got from Derramore's, so it would be costlier to replace. I guess I'll slog on with it, but it is boring, boring, boring. Thank goodness for audiobooks to entertain me while I do it.

Edited by ddc