2013 WIP-Busters

ddc

I finished a baby blanket, then unfinished it, frogging the last row and edging. It's a round ripple that ended with a v-st shell instead of the 2dc shell in the sequence, and when I put the reverse sc edging, it curled the corners. So I changed the last row to the 2dc shell, and it's working perfectly. Lesson learned. I'm not quite finished - I have about 2/3 of the edging still to re-do.

Right now, I'm working on unraveling one of the worst tangles I've ever had to deal with. I'm still not sure how it happened, but so far, I've devoted about 3 hours of my life to it, and I'm only about half finished. When I pulled it off the yarn winder, first, and this is very mysterious, the outside thread got caught up in some from the inside. Then I decided just to rewind it, and thought it was ok, but apparently the end wasn't really freed, because when I pulled out a bit from the center to find the end to start over, it pulled a glop from the outside up through the middle. Then it started barfing yarn from the top AND bottom of the center - how could that even work? - and continued going from bad to worse. The yarn was twisting around itself so I had to just start a regular ball and weave it in and out of loops. What a mess. If it were RH or something like that, I would probably just write it off as hopeless and abandon it, but it's one of the skeins I just got from Derramore's, so it would be costlier to replace. I guess I'll slog on with it, but it is boring, boring, boring. Thank goodness for audiobooks to entertain me while I do it.

:yuck  I hate when that happens!! 

Okay, I decided to add a few more to my list.....  :lol  It's not like I don't have the yarn! 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. baby round ripple  done 7/2/13

2. white shawl  7/5/13

3. green baby afghan for boss

4. Shifio's lilac dress set for friend work

5. purple/lavender/white kitty on a fence baby blanket for same friend at work

6. shades of blue wave afghan for another friends baby

7. green/tan/brown baby blanket for friend with small vest/hat/booties

8. angel square blanket for sister for Christmas

9. nap blanket for friend 

10. sunny spread with shades of purple

11. v-stich baby afghan in lavender

12. finish granny square Christmas afghan, it only needs a few more squares and whip-stitched together

and lucky 13 would be.....sunflower throw for me!! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunflower-throw-crochet-afghan

currently working on #3, #7 and #9  ;)

I have been working on the baby blanket but got distracted because my niece asked for her very own stash buster tote. So I dropped everything to make her one. I also mopped the other day and decided I needed to make some swiffer replacement pads so I will add those to my list.

I finally got that stupid yarn untangled. I love working with the yarn, but have decided that it is going to be an incentive rather than a current indulgence. I hereby vow not to do Anything At All with it until I completely use up the Caron One Pound stash. So I am redefining work in progress a bit. My work in progress is to use up ALL of the One Pound, however many lapghans that requires, before I do anything else. I have come to really dislike using that yarn, so I want to move it on out, and unfortunately I have a truckload of it. It will be interesting to see how much it will all make.

I did just add one skein to it. When I finish a current project, I'll have about half a skein of the Sunflower (really gold, not yellow) left, so I bought a skein of purple to add the little bit I have left, and I'll make a round ripple with that, wiping out the gold. Purple and gold are LSU colors so it will be a good project to donate. Someone will surely want it for the sake of the old alma mater.

My two started lapghans from the One Pound are a daisy round ripple (gold, green, brown, off white), twilight shells in two soft greens and white. The next in line will be the purple/gold round ripple, a red/white/blue wave, and a wave (maybe) with cream, peach and persimmon.

The soft greens are still on tap, but I'm changing the pattern. I didn't like the Twilight Shells pattern once I did several rows and began to get a feel for it. After several false starts on the cream/peach, I'm doing it with just dc's and V's. Why make my life complicated with this donated afghans. Sometimes plain is just as nice, and definitely faster and easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished another project in the Caron Truckload WIP. I did a round ripple with taupe, lace, and off white. I generally think the taupe type colors are ok, if boring (for me) to work with, but I bought this one online and thought it was a horrible shade when it arrived and I saw it in person. So it is gone now, except for a bit a little smaller than a tennis ball. Figuring out what to do with that was my biggest challenge from all the One Pound, so that's done. (Hooray!!!)

I dumped the pic from the computer the other day, but I posted it over on the July Charity CAL, if anyone wants to see it. It's almost to the bottom of the page. The sunflower rr is also there, about half way down.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/147266-july-summer-charity-cal-718-723/page-2

Hi!

Is it to late for me to join? I am praying that it isn't. I have tons of different projects that I want to do, most are crocheted, some are cross stitched, & some are even going to be done w/ plastic canvas. I am hoping to get most of the crocheted ones completed before we see the reciver, but we will see.

Never to late. This is a casual drop in/drop out sort of CAL. Welcome! I'm sure we'd like to see all your projects, not just the crocheted ones too. 

Hi!

My list has changed dramitcally!

I am going ti be making 13 tree of love afgan

A prayer shawl

A tunisian jacket

A tunisian cardigan

A pair of slippers

A whole bunch of corner to corner blankets to sel. & also to use uo as of this yarn

A wedding ring quilt for the DH & me in our wedding colors

ETA: added another project to the list

Hello Melii....what a list you've got going on there! 

donna....I love the colors of the round ripple! It looks so sunflower-y. 

wow, I looked at my list and have changed so many things around.....re-do??  :lol Funny thing is, I haven't finished anything yet either! I have to come back and visit more often!!  :hook

List re-do as of 7/3013

1. baby round ripple  done 7/2/13

2. white shawl  7/5/13

3. yellow baby afghan for boss...in progress

4. Shifio's lilac dress set for friend work

5. pink round ripple baby blanket for same friend at work...have yarn

6. shades of blue afghan for another friends toddler

7. green/tan/brown baby blanket for friend with small vest/hat/booties...in process

8. angel square blanket for sister for Christmas

9. nap blanket for friend...in process

10. sunny spread with shades of purple...in process

11. v-stich baby afghan in lavender...have yarn

12. finish granny square Christmas afghan, it only needs a few more squares and whip-stitched together...in process

and lucky 13 would be.....sunflower throw for me!! http://www.ravelry.c...-crochet-afghan

14. pink baby outfit for friend...in process

15. double strand baby afghan for lady at work done 7/30/13

16. ocean afghan

17. soft green baby afghan...in process

18. bright hdc afghan...in process

19. finish my Christmas afghan...in process

Hello Melii....what a list you've got going on there! 

donna....I love the colors of the round ripple! It looks so sunflower-y. 

wow, I looked at my list and have changed so many things around.....re-do??  :lol Funny thing is, I haven't finished anything yet either! I have to come back and visit more often!!  :hook

I know right. I am actually trying to narrow down the crafts that I do. I have it down to plastic canvas, counted cross stitch & crochet. Don't get me wrong I do know how to do a couple of other crafts but in the mind set of trying to cut down costs I figure I would narrow down as much as possible.

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I just realised that I crossed one of the items off my list a few days ago!! I finally got the correct replacement presser foot for my sewing machine, and I finished putting the binding on a new flannel blanket for my little guy. The ones his Yai-yai made for him last year are getting to be too short! They don't cover his feet anymore!  :cry  He still loves them to bits, but we need two blankets at night when we use them because we need a separate one to "cover my toes pwease, Mommy? You cover my toes?" So one day when Cars flannel was on sale at Joann's, I picked some up to make him a light blanket that would cover him up completely. And it has Lightning and Mater on it ("Wight-ning and Ma-toe"), so he's happy. :)

Donna, I love the colors on those round ripples! If the taupe blanket looks better in person than in the photo, it must look pretty cool, because I thought the picture of it looked great! I totally agree with you though - neutral blankets can be beautiful and very classic, but making them is b-o-r-i-n-g!

I can't believe I actually got to cross off one of my items! :lol I've only been adding to this list so far (with the removal of the blanket, I'm now at 54), and I have been working on some of them but most of them just have so much left to do it's going to be a while before I can take them  off! Hooray, one is down! :D

:clap  woo-hooo!!! Great job finally getting one off of your list!!! Sounds like a cute little guy you've got there! 

I've added a few more to my list. I've got 5 skeins of RH ocean that I've got no idea what to do with, I was thinking small double yarn throw? any other ideas would be more than helpful!

Smith, I usually think that variegated look much better in the skein (so I'm always a sucker and buy them) than they do worked up. Ocean is an exception - I love that one. I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I about half finished with the next One Pound round ripple - mostly cape cod blue with sage and azure. I have another one started with orange, that apparently is discontinued. I had one skein of it. It's a brilliant orange with a red cast. I'm using the bright red with it. I think it will require sunglasses, but I also think it's turning out surprisingly good, in a very orange sort of way - LOL! I'm off Mon-Thu next week, so I'm hoping I can finish up both of these. I've decreed this time off is going to be Play Time. I'll be stuck at home without a car those days, so I should have plenty of time.

I am working on the yellow afghan and a pink baby outfit. Hope to have both of them done this weekend. I am having troubles with the booties... :irk

I would definitely be having trouble with booties. For myself, I think life is too short to make things that have to fit. Big and flat for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up the Cape Cod blue round ripple while I was off, and I'm a little more than half finished with another. I also started two others, working far enough to get the pattern established so I can just pick them up and go. Yes, this means I finished one WIP and started three more. The orange RR is on temporary hold. I'm wanted to do something besides round ripples for a while. The new WIPs a solid pink lapghan in snapdragon stitch, and one in earth colors in this pattern, a new one for me:

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/juicy-fruits-and-whipped-cr%C3%A8me-throw

It's easy and fast, and should be a nice pattern for donated lapghans.

Update:

1. pom pom yarn rabbit for GD due in two week, 3/4 finished

2. shawl, 2/3 finished then set aside for other things; supposed to be a Christmas present for DIL

3. pillow, 3/4 finished, started early this year

4. purse, just needs pieces joined and to be felted, about 4 years old--will have to find it!

5. afghan, needs motifs joined and tassels made, also about 4 years old--also will have to find it

6. mystery cal afghan, 3 squares done, started early last year

7. afghan, bought yarn last year, never started

8. take apart afghan and redo it as a much smaller wall hanging; also have to make all the nativity figures to go on it--4-5 years old

9. marcelle afghan, active project, Christmas present

10. second marcelle afghan almost finished

11. bunny snuggle

12. "berry frappe" Oasis wrap--just need to block it

One step forward; three steps back.

greyhoundgrandma - that sounds about like my rate of progression. I brought a pink one in to the library to work on today - a loooong shift with lots of downtime. The only problem is that it is So Pink. Under the brilliant fluorescent lighting it almost glows.  :lol

I finished the second marcelle afghan. One more Christmas present out of the way.

Finished the bunny snuggle.

Started another project--Granny's Little Girl, a baby jacket kit. It's going quickly--one sleeve left.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't finished any new projects, but I did find a new iPhone app that will let me keep track of everything I've got going. Which is really nice, because I kept losing the piece of paper that I had written everything down on! Now I don't have to worry about losing the paper. :D And I I just got the last one entered in, so I'm feeling all accomplished, even though I haven't actually accomplished much lately aside from half of the stitching on a quilt block and part of a round on my rainbow-ghan. :lol

Update:

1. shawl, 2/3 finished then set aside for other things; supposed to be a Christmas present for DIL--oh well, maybe for her birthday

2. pillow, 3/4 finished, started early this year

3. purse, just needs pieces joined and to be felted, about 4 years old--will have to find it!

4. afghan, needs motifs joined and tassels made, also about 4 years old--also will have to find it

5. mystery cal afghan, 3 squares done, started early last year

6. afghan, bought yarn last year, never started

7. take apart afghan-4-5 years old

8. "berry frappe" Oasis wrap

9. yellow Oasis wrap

10. Granny's Little Girl kit

11. ivory Holey Moley shawl

12. green stocking

13. doily adapted to make a spare tire cover

Archived