Crochet confessions....

Confession is good for the soul, right?  So... You know how sometimes you come across a break in your yarn that's been knotted together right in the middle of a project? Well, last night I CROCHETED RIGHT THROUGH IT! I just didn't care to cut and join and weave in the extra ends. HORRIBLE TERRIBLE PERSON! LOL!

OK, I"ll play along...the other day, I was working on a project with 2 strands of worsted held together. I had to frog most of it, but when I got to a terribly big knotted place, I CUT IT OFF AND THREW IT AWAY!!!!!!!!! (Me, the saver of all tiny pieces of yarn!!!!)

A "good enough" confession - Last year I was making a hat for a kind of odd backwoods family friend, (after he kept asking, and asking) I was determined I wasn't going to use any of my "good" yarn on him so I figured I would use up the assortments of leftover camoflage little odd balls I had, I thought they all were the same(ish) or close enough... they weren't, and it was looking really bad. (did I care? who would ever see it? but I knew I couldn't give even this ugly hat to HIM!!)

I was determined these leftover yarns were good enough to use on this guy and somehow I'd get them to work. I ended up using the three different camo yarns with 2 rows of brown in between each... wow, it came out great!! Sometimes our "good enough" ideas work out way better than we expect them to.

He was thrilled and I was happy I had given him something that looked really nice, because my attitude when I started it was pretty bad. I even got more yarn and made him a matching neckwarmer to wear when he's out working in the woods. Everytime DH saw him he was wearing the hat and neckwarmer all last winter.

Funny thing- he even sent me a Thank-you note!! I can count on one hand the written thank-yous I've received in the last 50 years, not counting the ones from showers... it sure changed my opinion of this guy. because he was so grateful.

Mattenylou ~ Good for you! Sometimes we learn things where we least expect it!

Ha! I really hate to make things for anyone that keeps bugging me over and over! I jokingly reminded him several times I only made things in pink yarn (i was making a lot of baby things at the time) and he still persisted. Sad to think I was not even considering making this simple hat, something to actually keep someone warm on a cold day, because I was playing around making useless little baby things just for fun that would be seldom worn (and never even a personal thank-you)

Yep, lots of lessons learned from that experience!

A "good enough" confession - Last year I was making a hat for a kind of odd backwoods family friend, (after he kept asking, and asking) I was determined I wasn't going to use any of my "good" yarn on him so I figured I would use up the assortments of leftover camoflage little odd balls I had, I thought they all were the same(ish) or close enough... they weren't, and it was looking really bad. (did I care? who would ever see it? but I knew I couldn't give even this ugly hat to HIM!!)

I was determined these leftover yarns were good enough to use on this guy and somehow I'd get them to work. I ended up using the three different camo yarns with 2 rows of brown in between each... wow, it came out great!! Sometimes our "good enough" ideas work out way better than we expect them to.

He was thrilled and I was happy I had given him something that looked really nice, because my attitude when I started it was pretty bad. I even got more yarn and made him a matching neckwarmer to wear when he's out working in the woods. Everytime DH saw him he was wearing the hat and neckwarmer all last winter.

Funny thing- he even sent me a Thank-you note!! I can count on one hand the written thank-yous I've received in the last 50 years, not counting the ones from showers... it sure changed my opinion of this guy. because he was so grateful.

That's a sweet story and a good lesson for all of us about judging others.  Thank you for sharing your story.

I guess the moral to this story is if someone begs you enough for the same thing they probably really want it lol I have made many things for people & most don't care or use the things then there are those people who are just so thrilled. Maybe you should make another set for him next year ;)

That's a sweet story and a good lesson for all of us about judging others.  Thank you for sharing your story.

I guess the moral to this story is if someone begs you enough for the same thing they probably really want it lol I have made many things for people & most don't care or use the things then there are those people who are just so thrilled. Maybe you should make another set for him next year ;)

Thanks for the comments... if you only knew my royal crabby attitude I had about starting this hat, I put him off for as long as I could, but he does keep an eye on our weekend woodsy cabin when we aren't there, I started out with my "this is good enough for him" attitude, but the whole thing taught me another life lesson, for sure, all the time and money I spend on making beautiful things for people, with hardly any thanks and I use the rattiest dregs of my leftover yarn for this hat and do it up in a few hours and I get a written thank-you note! .... and then find out he actually wears it every day besides!! yeesh!!

Funny thing- he just happened to call this afternoon to re-thank hubby for a pair of big old yellow boots DH bought him for $3.00 a couple of years ago... he wanted to say thanks again,, he's been wearing them all week and most of this summer while cutting trees in the woods, they came in handy because of all the rain we've had this year. Just wanted to tell Tom he wouldn't be able to work this summer without them.

When I answered the phone, my first thought was "oh my gosh, he recognized himself from what I wrote on Crochetville!!" ...(guilty!?!) ...  then I quickly decided he probably wasn't the type to read posts on the 'Ville, after all! ... whew!!

I may even make him an afghan!

I'd be happy to see him wearing the things I'd made for him, and to see how much he appreciates them! (I know, we never really know how our projects will be received, but yours were winners, for sure!)

I catch myself from time to time saying It will just have to do,or what should it matter,its a hat for a homeless person,then that lil crochet angel voice will whisper,would you wear it yourself ?,and then I take better care with color selections.

I never know who will receive a hat I've made,but always hope it keeps them warm

I catch myself from time to time saying It will just have to do,or what should it matter,its a hat for a homeless person,then that lil crochet angel voice will whisper,would you wear it yourself ?,and then I take better care with color selections.

I never know who will receive a hat I've made,but always hope it keeps them warm

That's something that I think of every time my Froggers and I (in our Froggers Crochet Club at our local Senior Center) ship off lapghans we crochet for our Veterans' hospitals.  Very often, we have to "make do" with donated yarn, and really come up with some "yucky" yarn sometimes!  But we try to put a nice bright color with some old dreary colors, and it just "perks it up"!   We actually enjoy seeing who can make the best combinations out of what we have!  We just celebrated our 3rd anniversary of our Club, and are very proud of the fact that we have sent out more that 125 lapghans to our Wounded Warriors, in addition to over 60 prayer shawls to our local Hospice, and over 1,000 hats to various childrens' hospitals!  Most of this has been done with donated yarn, and we're really thankful!  (Sorry for bragging...I just couldn't help myself...I'm so proud of my "Girls"!!!)

Avon Lady

sometimes we deserve that pat on the back ,we give ourselves

my yarn is mostly found at sales or the thrift store,color choices

I had some bits of brown,worked top down lightest to darkest,I was okay with it,my daughter thought it was great looking

congrats on three yrs strong with your club

Confession #.....   More than once I have simply left off the last one, two, three or dozen last rows of a doily because I've run out of thread or patience or interest.  Hanging head.

The majority of my crocheted items are for those in need and I make it a point to vary the patterns, for afghans, hats, scarves and the colors, ,etc. I like to do a variety of different ones so that everyone who receives one will have something that no one else may have. The colors may be similar but the patterns are different. It is hard enough for these people, for whatever reason they have experienced tough times, so  I want them to feel special  and cared about.

LI Roe

Avon Lady

sometimes we deserve that pat on the back ,we give ourselves

my yarn is mostly found at sales or the thrift store,color choices

I had some bits of brown,worked top down lightest to darkest,I was okay with it,my daughter thought it was great looking

congrats on three yrs strong with your club

Thank you for the kind words.  

Confession #.....   More than once I have simply left off the last one, two, three or dozen last rows of a doily because I've run out of thread or patience or interest.  Hanging head.

I'll confess...I kinda did the same thing with my first (and only so far) doily. I got down to the last couple rows and was almost out of thread, so I looked at the doily and said "i like it better without the picots rounds" and just left them off! (that was my excuse and I'm sticking to it). 

Another confession-- Thinking about starting another afghan, I seldom use a pattern, more often use a graph or just invent a I go along. That beginning chain row always used to have me stumped as to how many to start with, especially on ripples where the pattern eats up the chain so quickly.

For years I'd make the chain and begin the first few rows, decide it was too narrow and rip the whole thing out. Lately I've figured out, after you've finished that first row of "real" stitches, that no one will ever know if you add more chains starting right there where the tail is. I start the new chain using up the tail yarn, then pick up more yarn and just keep chaining the opposite way to make it the width I want/need ... voila! a new tail, right where it belongs!.

I always put some sort of edge on my afghans, even a row of single crochet will cover it over. I doubt anyone but a crocheter would ever be able to see that my chains were going the opposite direction for a few inches, I have to really hunt for the switch-over myself when I show friends how to do it.

Try it the next time you run out of chains, use the tail, then add more yarn if you need to.

I was looking for somewhere to purge myself of the guilt I'm feeling (or will certainly be feeling when I have to explain to my other half the rather copious numbers of parcels arriving at my door!)

My confession: I can't stop buying things for crochet!! I'm buying stuff way faster than I can use it!

Today I took delivery of:

3 different types of sequin embellishments 

My new wool winder (am in love!) 

6 skeins of yarn

and a pack of bobby pins to attach little crochet flowers to

And now here I am, at what is nearly 2am for me in the UK, unable to sleep as usual, and I have just ordered:

16 skeins of yarn

A single ended Tunisian crochet hook

A double ended Tunisian crochet hook

I don't even know how to do Tunisian crochet for heaven's sake!! 

Oh, and I also have on order but not yet arrived:

Another 4 skeins of yarn

3 different types of T-shirt paint to experiment with making crochet slippers less slippy

Seed beads

Machine washable fabric glue

OOOOOOPS!!  :lol

Archived