Wonky large grannies

Gigix3

Question

I have noticed when crocheting large (one piece) granny afghans that they seem to be "off square" when finished.  The center seems to be sitting to one side a bit .  I have also seen this in blog pictures. Is this just part of the charm?  I seem to be a bit OCD, I guess, but if I put that much work in a project, I like for it to be straight!

Do any of you have an answer to this problem? 

I am working on a rectangle one in one color, so it is not an issue here.

Tks!  Sherry

9 answers to this question

I have noticed when crocheting large (one piece) granny afghans that they seem to be "off square" when finished.  The center seems to be sitting to one side a bit .  I have also seen this in blog pictures. Is this just part of the charm?  I seem to be a bit OCD, I guess, but if I put that much work in a project, I like for it to be straight!

Do any of you have an answer to this problem? 

I am working on a rectangle one in one color, so it is not an issue here.

Tks!  Sherry

Sherry, do you work your rows all on the same side, or do you turn your work?  It is the nature of the beast (the beast being crochet stitches) to lean to one side.  If you turn your work every row, the stitches will not lean so much to one side, and make the squares wonky!  An easy answer!

Well, there you are, duh!  I have been crocheting for years and hadn't considered this!  I think I do recall RoseRed mentioning that she turns hers in order for it to not have a right/wrong side, and I was planning to try that on my next multi-colored one.  Who knew it would stop the "leaning". 

Thanks guys, that is an easy answer :clap

Sherry

Interesting. I hadn't noticed the lean on round ripples, though I never make them more than lap sized, so maybe it's not as pronounced as on a larger one, and one of the things I love about making them is that I don't have to keep flipping them over. But maybe I should try that.

Thanks for the tip!

I really appreciate the info. (I really like to learn at least one new thing a day, lol) I have not done any round ripples yet, but I do plan to make a about 3 grannygans for my little granddaughters for Christmas and I appreciate the tips about all of it.

Sherry

Thanks RoseRed.  The off-white one is the only large one and maybe it won't be noticeable at all.  The others will be much smaller and they are all rectangular.  So far I haven't gotten the "lean" since I am turning instead of "rounding".  I am switching back and forth on two now afghans now. Ah, life is good! :c9 

Sherry

Archived