TNNA Yarn Thing Designer Dinner: Look at All My Goodies

Amy

You can also read this post on the Crochetville blog. If you'd like to keep up-to-date on our blog posts, you can subscribe to the blog: just enter your email address in the blog sidebar. (This is separate from our email newsletter. If you'd like to subscribe to the newsletter as well, you can also do that in a different section on the blog sidebar.)

TNNA Yarn Thing Designer Dinner

YTDD.Featured.jpg

As many of our readers know, I attended my first TNNA (The National Needlearts Association) industry trade show June 21-23, 2013. Each year, crochet and knit designer Marly Bird organizes a special event called the Yarn Thing’s Designer Dinner. Space is limited and it’s an honor to be invited to take part in this event. I was thrilled to attend this year along with my TNNA roommate, crochet designer Jenny King, here all the way from Australia.

I would love to tell you about all the designers I saw and spoke to at the dinner, but I know I would leave out some very important people. So instead, I’ll show you pictures of the fabulous things everyone got in their goodie bags. That will be fun, right?

When we got to our tables, everyone had a red bag from Red Heart Yarns at their place, stuffed to the gills. (If you’ve been to the Crochetville/Red Heart book at a CGOA Chain Link conference/Knit and Crochet Show or at a STITCHES event, you’ve most likely received one of these bags.) We were asked to put them aside so Marly could go over them with everyone after the dinner, so she’d be able to thank each product donor individually for their contributions.

Let’s take a look at everything in the bag, in no particular order, because I certainly can’t remember the order in which Marly spoke about everything!

First up, we have an Interchangeable Needle Case from Chic-a. Perhaps it was originally designed for interchangeable knitting needles but it would also would well for interchangeable Tunisian crochet hooks or just regular crochet hooks. The bag is approximately 7″ x 9″ when zipped closed. You can find the bags in many different fabrics at your local yarn store.

YTDD13-300x224.jpg

When you unzip the bag, you’ll see a section just perfect for holding crochet hooks on the left with a middle zippered compartment that can hold more hooks.

YTDD14-300x224.jpg

Flip the zippered compartment over and you’ll see wider pockets where you could store scissors, a Chibi tube filled with tapestry needles, and other tools.

YTDD15-300x224.jpg

Next we received a travel-size bottle of  Wrapture from Eucalan. Wrapture is a scent designed by crochet and knit designer Kristin Omdahl featuring the beneficial essential oil of Night Bloom Jasmine. Our pretty package also contained two single-use pods.

YTDD11-224x300.jpg

Next up, we have a copy of For Love of Knitting magazine. I think some people may have received For Love of Crochet, but I’m not sure.

YTDD5-224x300.jpg

Knitterella provided a set of gift tags. I received their Happy Holidays Gift Tags, but the tags come in many other styles on the Knitterella website. The front has a place to write in the name of the maker and the recipient. The back has a place to write in the type of fiber as well as a care chart, so all you have to do is circle the appropriate options.

YTDD7-224x300.jpg   YTDD8-224x300.jpg

In addition to providing the bag to hold all the goodies, Red Heart Yarns also provided one skein of Filigree yarn (my color is Ivory) and one skein of Anne Geddes Baby (my color is Grass), a lovely DK (Light 3) weight acrylic yarn.

YTDD9-300x224.jpg   YTDD12-300x224.jpg

From Westminster Fibers, a division of Coats & Clark, I received a special kit: What’s Your Mountain? This is a personal hat design challenge, featuring a skein of Schachenmayr SMC Boston yarn.

YTDD17-300x224.jpg

From Lion Brand Yarn, I received a package containing a skein of Wool-Ease Thick and Quick and a ball of Romance (color Champagne), as well as a coupon code for 20% off a purchase at LionBrand.com. I think some of their yummy LB Collections yarns, especially Cotton Bamboo, Cashmere, and Silk Mohair, may be coming to my stash sometime soon.

YTDD6-224x300.jpg

From Red Barn Yarn, I received a sample of their new hand-painted Powder River yarn: 75% Mountain Merino ™ Rambouillet and 25% Alpaca.

YTDD10-300x224.jpg

I also received a beautiful skein of Malabrigo kettle-dyed Finito, made from Uruguayan wool that only comes to market once a year in limited quantities.

YTDD41-300x224.jpg

Next from Classic Elite Yarns, I have a ball of Chesapeake, 50% organic cotton and 50% merino wool.

YTDD18-300x224.jpg

Last but not least of the goodies in this main goodie bag is a beautiful Jemma Pouch from Namaste, in my favorite color, Eggplant.

YTDD16-300x224.jpg

Each table also contained another large goodie bag stuffed to the gills. The items in this bag were shared among those at the table. Each person received something from the bag. Here is what I received.

From The Crochet Dude and Boye/Simplicity, I received the popular Nantucket Bag with the Crochet Dude logo:

YTDD2-300x224.jpg   YTDD1-224x300.jpg

Tucked inside the bag was a gorgeous skein of Baby Boom sock-weight yarn in color Ancient Ruins from the wonderful folks at Fiesta Yarns.

YTDD3-300x224.jpg

There was one last item on the table. A sampler box of yarns from Yarnbox, a monthly yarn subscription club. I unfortunately didn’t win the box, but I did receive a coupon for 10% off an order.

I forgot, I also received a commemorative t-shirt for the dinner. I wore it before taking a picture, so once it’s been washed and ironed I’ll take and post a picture.

That’s it for the goodies from Marly Bird’s Yarn Thing Designer Dinner. Keep watch on the blog for more updates about my trip to TNNA.

I just finished posting photos of all the other fabulous yarns I received in my goodie bag at the Yarn Thing Designer Dinner. Thanks to Marly Bird for coordinating a wonderful event and getting sponsors to donate terrific items for me to use to create new patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading this post and looking at all the picture posts. All I can say is WOW!

Archived